UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Zahabi: If GSP fights Silva next, that could be it

3/30/13 5:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
slamming
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stephen Holder - I can absolutely gaurantee you that GSP's legacy is already ruined because he 'plays it safe' fight after fight and if the bout with Silva doesn't happen (for whatever reason at this point after he's already ducked) Georges will be remembered for being a coward and nothing more in every country worldwide not named Canada.
Uh no. Just fuck off and stop pretending you know what you're talking about. Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 5:08 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

I'd say fight night weights are as follows:

Jones - 218

Silva - 202

GSP - 188

The weight difference between GSP/Anderson and Anderson/Jones are comparable, so I guess it's a question of whether you want to see the number 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world challenge the smaller fighter who is number 3 P4P in the world or the bigger fighter who is number 2 P4P in the world.

Edit - revised Anderson's weight.

Edit - another revision

I am shocked you would pick the lowest weight for Jones....shocked.

He was 224 vs rashad and 226 as well. 218 was shogun. Why are you picking the lowest for Jones and highest for Anderson (@185)????

222 would be the average for Jones and 200 for Anderson. In what world are 10-12 lbs and 18-22lbs "comparable"? That's pretty much double. Phone Post

I'm not going off of what you say, shockingly.  Mike Dolce said he expects Jones to come in at 218, so I'm gonna go with him over you.

Anderson is 202.  That's what he weighed in against Bonnar, so I'm assuming he's the same at MW.

Georges is 186-188.  I'll give you 188.

So you have a 16 lb weight diff between Anderson and Jones, and a 14 lb weight diff between GSP and Anderson.

Its not what I say. Bones himself tweeted 224 for rashad and 226 for another fight I cannot remember. Check the "official fighter weight" thread. It is sourced.

Firaz himself said GSP is 190-192 in the cage.

Lmao at assuming Anderson is the same weight at MW as he is on a short notice fight at lhw. Come on dude.

Anderson can easily meet GSP half way between the divisions. No way in hell bones could do the same for Anderson. That furthers the point that they are not as close in weight at Andy and gsp are. Phone Post
3/30/13 5:10 PM
r_o_y

I don't want to hear about gsp vs silva anymore. It's just become a big tease. I want to totally forget about and wake up one day and see "gsp vs silva set". On that day I will cry tears of sweet sweet joy.
3/30/13 5:11 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

And yes, you're right, his word is definitely not fact.  I'd trust it over Lay'n'Pray's any day though - this is the guy that thinks there's a 20 lb weight differential between Anderson and Jones but only a 10 lb one between GSP and Anderson.

What's your opinion on their weights? I'm curious.  As much as it shames me to admit it, I respect your opinion when you actually decide to discuss MMA seriously.  Also, try to divorce yourself from and GSP/Diaz shit when you answer this.

Its not my guessing. Its the same exact thing you do when you trust dolce.

Firas says gsp is 190-192 in the cage.

Anderson's nutritionist said Anderson was 198 in the cage vs chael at 9% body fat.

We should believe dolce guessing for bones and ignore bones factual tweets of 224 and 226.....but then NOT believe gsp and Anderson's coaches????? Phone Post
3/30/13 5:18 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/13 5:19 PM

LnP - I cite my sources though :).  Lol, jk, I don't actually expect you to go back and find JBJ's tweets.  If it's the case that he's actually 225 and GSP is 190-192 (and you're not BSing/remembering wrong) then I guess I'll have to eat my words.

The one variable in the equation is still Andy's weight.  No offense to his team, but I wouldn't know whether I could believe them even if they were telling the truth. Ditto Anderson. They're very shrewd negotiators and I honestly wouldn't put it past Anderson to unecessarily cut to 202 lbs against Bonnar as a way of posturing for the GSP fight, lol.

It's purely anectodal, but the reason I always argue that Anderson and Jones are closer in size is because against Bonnar and Forrest (two MASSIVE LHWs), Anderson didn't look like he was dwarfed by either of them.  He looked around the same size.  Can you say the same about GSP if he were to fight either of those guys?

3/30/13 5:24 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Everything is sourced in this thread:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1940716

3/30/13 5:27 PM
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn dude, my bad.  I think GSP should trim down to 184 again.  He looked infinitely better against Alves than he did against Shields/Diaz.  He's gotten too big.

3/30/13 5:28 PM
Anderson P. Sonnen
712 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stephen Holder - Hilarious how Zahabi is throwin out these predictions like threats.'Don't force George to actually fight or u'll be sorry!'
Bottles my mind. My thing is this, does Georges want to fight Silva? If he does then I think Zahabi needs to stfu about it. They are acting like we the fans are forcing this match up. No. Once upon a time both wanted to fight each other to prove who's the best reigning champ in p4p superfight. Jon Jones yada yada yada yeah we get it. Let him dominate for years and he will get his superfight whether its Silva or Cain/JDS or possibly Hunt. GSP and Silva have been cleaning out this division for years. So that is the reason why this makes sense. Fuck weight advantages/disadvantages. What happened to the I'll fight anyone, anytime mentality of the sport. Besides, they are not light years apart in weight.

Bottom line is neither should have to fight each other to prove anything, but if its gonna happen, just make it happen when its the right time and cut it out with the reasons for not making the fight, career affecting decisions, etc.

I for one just want this talk to be over with. Phone Post
3/30/13 5:29 PM
Anderson P. Sonnen
712 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Their divisions* Phone Post
3/30/13 5:30 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

"They're very shrewd negotiators and I honestly wouldn't put it past Anderson to unecessarily cut to 202 lbs against Bonnar as a way of posturing for the GSP fight, lol."

Honestly, this is the dumbest thing you have ever said. Sorry, not trying to be a dick, but get real man.

Anderson has come in at 182, 183, and 184x3 for his title fights. He fought at 175 vs Okami at 31 years old. He is ~200lbs when he is in peak physical condition. Bones is ~220 and GSP is ~190. I know you don't like that reality, but it is reality.

Don't even start with the "he looked as big as Forrest/Bonnar" garbage. He looked almost as TALL, but are you seriously going to say that Anderson at LHW had the same thickness and weight as those two?

3/30/13 5:32 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 

Damn dude, my bad.  I think GSP should trim down to 184 again.  He looked infinitely better against Alves than he did against Shields/Diaz.  He's gotten too big.

Some of that difference could be mental too.

Maybe going back to 185ish in the cage would re-ignite the "RUSH" of old and the fans would find his fights exciting again?

3/30/13 5:33 PM
dahosse
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stephen Holder - I can absolutely gaurantee you that GSP's legacy is already ruined because he 'plays it safe' fight after fight and if the bout with Silva doesn't happen (for whatever reason at this point after he's already ducked) Georges will be remembered for being a coward and nothing more in every country worldwide not named Canada.
Please ban this poster Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 5:35 PM

Edited: 03/30/13 5:37 PM

I already agreed with you, big guy.  My opinon of how Anderson looked size-wise against Bonnar/Griffin is purely academic at this point, as I have already been proved wrong by that thread.

You have triumphed a 19-year-old in an MMA dicussion.  Start the parade.

3/30/13 5:41 PM
KingInFishnetsBottomingBetas

Atleast you admit it, last year when all the facts pointed that gsp and andy were closer in weight than andy and jones, GSP fans refuse to admit it like scorned women.

Both fights will happen, I just prefer GSP-Anderson happens first. It'll look kind of lame if anderson beats jones, then goes down to fight jones.
3/30/13 5:44 PM
dahosse
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herpaderp - wrestling is not as hard on cardio as intense striking

it can be hard on the guy getting pressured, unlike the striking, which is hard on the striker
Wrong, and dumb, and aren't you banned? Sorry, I meant- why aren't you banned? Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 5:49 PM
BLACKBUDDAH

This is why GSPs legacy will not be as strong as andersons or even couture. He is to calculated and views fights as business decisions. Phone Post
3/30/13 5:50 PM
Anderson P. Sonnen

As an Anderson fan, I GUARANTEE you this would be Silva's greatest challenge to date. And vice versa. Many would disagree, but I think GSP at 180 would be a problem for everyone. Phone Post
3/30/13 5:50 PM
Anderson P. Sonnen

185* Phone Post
3/30/13 5:51 PM
Anderson P. Sonnen

Jeez this nick Diaz is messing with me today. Phone Post
3/30/13 6:09 PM
Entreri

Legacy? LOL. Fedor went from GOAT to what?

And some poor fighters are both broke and barely functioning after the glory.

In the end, a fighter must be calculating. I applaud GSP for being a smart fighter.

When GSP thinks he wants to fight Anderson, he will.
3/30/13 6:19 PM
ortman166

Anderson's BBC in my Goku -

hes basically telling the ufc...u want gsp to fight longer and make u millions? dont push the anderson fight...

This. He doesn't want Anderson. Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 6:23 PM
ortman166

while Jones is clearly bigger than Silva, Jones and Silva are much closer size-wise than Silva-GSP

No way. How could you possibly think this? Jones is a huge light heavyweight. Anderson isn't even a big mw. Chael was huge compared to him. He used to fight at ww. That statement is just silly Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 6:29 PM
Brabatross

I hope he fights Anderson and retires.
3/30/13 6:30 PM
Anderson P. Sonnen

Both fights interest me (Jones and GSP) but, I think the GSP fight would make more sense if it were to happen first. Phone Post
3/30/13 6:32 PM

For the record, LnP does not want to see GSP vs Silva.  He only wants to see Silva vs Jones.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.