UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Belfort: The UFC always knew I was on TRT

3/30/13 5:58 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Many feel Belfort has been sketchy regarding his usage of the treatment; however, "The Phenom" claims he is being drug tested on a weekly basis and that his employers knew all along he had a therapeutic use exception (TUE) for TRT.

He explains to Brazilian news outlet TATAME:

"The UFC always knew that I use, do not do it to cheat. I have medical monitoring and UFC also accompanies it. Never broken through anything, always acted cleanly. Do blood tests every week to equal the testosterone levels of a person my age. Many people are averse to treatment. I do not. I am in favor of people being open and fair in what they are doing,"

Questions about Belfort using TRT came about last January prior to his UFC on FX 7 match up with Michael Bisping when the Brazilian gave some sketchy answers to ESPN when the topic of TRT was brought up.

read entire article...

3/30/13 6:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FatBuddha
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

his former roommate (Carlson Gracie black belt) Rodrigo Mederios said Belfort did a ton of steriods in his teens. My guess is that he burned out his cells ability to make testosterone and then now needs TRT. It seems like the vast majority if not all fighters who use TRT formerly abused steriods and just weren't genetically born without the ability to produce adequate levels of testosterone.
3/30/13 6:17 PM
jzus14
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if fighters with TUE get weekly test, then no problem with it, but it has to be random day of the week.. then no problem with Trt
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone knew.

jzus14

FatBuddha - his former roommate (Carlson Gracie black belt) Rodrigo Mederios said Belfort did a ton of steriods in his teens. My guess is that he burned out his cells ability to make testosterone and then now needs TRT. It seems like the vast majority if not all fighters who use TRT formerly abused steriods and just weren't genetically born without the ability to produce adequate levels of testosterone.

brain damage also causes trt
3/30/13 6:22 PM
Authority Figure

Has he ever admitted to using at any point?

3/30/13 6:23 PM
HexRei

jzus14 - 
FatBuddha - his former roommate (Carlson Gracie black belt) Rodrigo Mederios said Belfort did a ton of steriods in his teens. My guess is that he burned out his cells ability to make testosterone and then now needs TRT. It seems like the vast majority if not all fighters who use TRT formerly abused steriods and just weren't genetically born without the ability to produce adequate levels of testosterone.

lol wat?
3/30/13 6:23 PM
HexRei

Authority Figure - 

Has he ever admitted to using at any point?

He's tested positive and then blamed it on his doctor...
3/30/13 6:29 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well if it's a fighter who abused roids in the past then don't let them use TRT IMO. Just how I feel about it not that it matters.
3/30/13 6:31 PM
brahmabull81
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - 
jzus14 - 

lol wat?

Concussions: If you suffer brain damage, your ability to produce testosterone can significantly increase. In MMA, we are seeing a lot of older fighters who are using testosterone and getting a blessing from an athletic commission to do so. The reason it’s a mistake is because older fighters tend to have more brain damage due to the amount of punishment they have taken in previous fights. It is a vicious cycle because the more brain damage you suffer, the more of a need for testosterone you have. By athletic commissions giving brain-damaged fighters a hall pass for testosterone usage, it’s opening up fighters for more brain damage in the future.

Credit: http://www.boxinginsider.com/columns/a-crash-course-on-testosterone-hypgonadism-and-doping/
3/30/13 6:37 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol obviously he was on something. The difference of his physique, in the Franklin fight and now, is night and day.

3/30/13 6:41 PM
HexRei

brahmabull81 - 
HexRei - 
jzus14 - 

lol wat?

Concussions: If you suffer brain damage, your ability to produce testosterone can significantly increase. In MMA, we are seeing a lot of older fighters who are using testosterone and getting a blessing from an athletic commission to do so. The reason it’s a mistake is because older fighters tend to have more brain damage due to the amount of punishment they have taken in previous fights. It is a vicious cycle because the more brain damage you suffer, the more of a need for testosterone you have. By athletic commissions giving brain-damaged fighters a hall pass for testosterone usage, it’s opening up fighters for more brain damage in the future.

Credit: http://www.boxinginsider.com/columns/a-crash-course-on-testosterone-hypgonadism-and-doping/

yeah, but it doesn't "cause trt". that's like saying a night of drinking "causes aspirin"
3/30/13 6:43 PM
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ManWithTheIronFists - Well if it's a fighter who abused roids in the past then don't let them use TRT IMO. Just how I feel about it not that it matters.

No, you are right. Aside from the obvious major effects trt has had on his body, he shouldn't be able to use it after previously failing a substance test. We'll see what happens if he has to fight in Vegas or New Jersey, if the UFC doesn't try to keep him away from the "legit" athletic commissions.

3/30/13 6:47 PM

YouCantHandleMyRiddum - 

lol obviously he was on something. The difference of his physique, in the Franklin fight and now, is night and day.

vs Franklin

vs Akyama

vs Bisping

3/30/13 6:56 PM
HexRei

Vitor @ UFC 12

3/30/13 7:09 PM
3rdLion
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's blatantly obvious that he's cycling something with his test again, he's been caught once already, he's a cheat plain and simple.
3/31/13 4:36 AM
jzus14

Pitbull8200 - I'm all for TRT but not for guys who have gotten busted for juice and need it because of years of steroid abuse. We will never see Belfort fight in Vegas again. Phone Post 3.0

yeah they need a way to test why you need it, if it's caused you fucked your balls by juicing then you shoudnt be in the sport!
3/31/13 4:41 AM

Stephen Holder -
Condit's Face Broke My Hand - 

Everyone knew.

Yeah but when the UFC lost out on a UK pay day with Mike Bisbing one win away from fighting Silva, suddenly Vitor and TRT became villain. I'm not complaining though, if you are too old to fight then hang it up imo (esp. if you abused roids prior.)
Part of it had to do with the fan outcry though. I think a lot of people finally could literally see the physical effects it was having on his body and kind of made people worried about how bad the trt stuff could get. Phone Post
3/31/13 10:30 AM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit's Face Broke My Hand - 
YouCantHandleMyRiddum - 

vs Franklin

vs Akyama

vs Bisping

lol, damn.

3/31/13 11:36 AM
The Don Dada

I've always been a fan but why didn't he come out with this before? Phone Post
3/31/13 11:55 AM
Lazer MMA

It's established per what I've read (for those confused) that he can't fight in Vegas BTW.
3/31/13 11:57 AM
HexRei

Lazer MMA - 
It's established per what I've read (for those confused) that he can't fight in Vegas BTW.

Yes I recall Kizer saying he wouldn't be granting a TUE for belfort in Nevada.
4/1/13 11:37 AM
Card
1991 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.