UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> What workout routine are you currently on?

3/30/13 6:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Onikage
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm almost done with another 6 weeks of Dorian Yates' Blood and Guts routine, and looking for some ideas for the next few weeks/months.
3/30/13 7:29 PM
waxwing slain
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just started week 40 of 5/3/1, alternating between "boring but big" and "simplest strength" every 3 months.

I'm committed to a full year of 5/3/1 before I even consider anything else.

My training partner is an old ammy bodybuilder who only begrudgingly got on with me around week ~20 (he considered the volume too low) and despite being 43, he benched 330 for 2 today and 345 for one this morning. His previous best in his 20s was 350. Needless to say he's completely on board now... Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 8:13 PM
Onikage

Nice, are those online or are you putting together your own thing?
3/30/13 11:05 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wendlers, 531 + body weight assistance.

Joel Jamieson's, 4 week conditioning plan.
3/31/13 12:10 AM
waxwing slain
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Onikage - Nice, are those online or are you putting together your own thing?
You can probably find them online. Google wendler 5/3/1. I bought the e-book. Phone Post 3.0
3/31/13 12:29 AM
The Lorax

I'm also on 5/3/1, loving it
3/31/13 3:48 AM
Taku
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am currently working on 3 x 3 plan. I do Strength, and condtioning 3 times each every two weeks. Week 1. is two strength sessions and one conditioning session. Week two is two conditioning sessions and one strength session.

So it looks like this:

WEEK ONE

Mon - Strength / Tue - Rest / Wed - Conditioning / Thu -Rest / Fri - Strength / Sat / Sun - Rest

WEEK TWO

Mon - Conditioning / Tue - Rest / Wed - Strength / Thu -Rest / Fri - Conditioning / Sat / Sun - Rest

Three varied strength routines A-B-C. All strength workouts are total body  (neck,  grip & mid-section work on two of the three) Strength workouts A & B average about 30 minutes. Strength workout C = about 10 minutes.

Three varied Conditioning routines A-B-C.  Conditioning workouts average less than 20 minutes each.

A = Running Stairs 3 rounds of five minutes with 20 sec run A.F.A.P. 20 sec walk.  

B = Versaclimber Sprint 10 X 15 sec @ 200 FPM with 90 sec recovery 

C = Jump rope 10 x 30 sec A.F.A.P. WITH 1:15 recovery

Total training time = less than three hours total per two weeks.

TAKU

3/31/13 7:48 AM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/31/13 7:49 AM

Focusing on climbing strength and endurance right now.

Mondays/Thursdays mornings are my "strength" days where I start out with a pretty intense joint preparation (various static and dynamic stretches/movements) and bodyweight program (60s no rest of plank, rev plank, hollow body hold, arch body hold/superman, ring support, one-armed dead hang, handstand hold against wall with handstand "running", back lever progression, l-sit).  Then I move to my "skill" movements which are muscle ups, planche progression, one-armed pull ups, and front lever progression.  Finally, I move on my strength stuff which are snatches/cleans, dl's/squats, front squat/overhead squat, db bench/jerk respectively.  Depending on the time, I'll cap off with more intense dynamic bodyweight stuff like frenchies, front lever rows, bar dip variations, ring pushup variations, yewki's, ice cream makers, flags, etc.  I play that last part ear.  Skill/Strength stuff follows a program progression I made up.  Essentially you go from 2x1's to 3-4x6's.  The add-on bw stuff is generally 6-10 reps.    

Tuesday is my Bikram Yoga day in the morning.

Wednesday morning is my stepmill workout with a 75 lbs pack.  90 minutes minimum.

Friday is typically a combo cardio day where I'll go from running to climbing to rowing to biking.

Saturday is my long run.  Did 18 miles yesterday.  22 on tap for next weekend.

Sunday is rest.

I run or bike for 45-60 minutes in the afternoon during my lunch break on Monday, Tues, and Thursdays.

I rock climb in the evenings 2-3 days per week as well.  

I experimented with the layout, volume, and intensity for a while before figuring out what worked best for me.  I take a week completely off every couple months and I do a "deloading" day during my strength work if I'm feeling run down.

That said, this is very specific to my needs.  5/3/1 is a kick ass program for general strength training.

3/31/13 8:22 AM
tristar
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Texas Method for the past 3 months.

Goal was/is to increase my strength, and that's exactly what's been happening.

Big thanks to Jeremy Hamilton for suggesting it. Phone Post
4/1/13 5:21 AM
MixedMartialArse
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just today I switched from SS to 5/3/1 BBB. Phone Post
4/1/13 1:59 PM
shootfighterbull

531 4 times a week. I'll hit the bags at least once a week too. Been on for 4 months now. When I hit a plateau, I'll consider switching up my routine. Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 3:34 PM
herwil10
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just started messing around with Myo-Reps (similar to rest-pause training like DC training). You can read about it here: http://borgefagerli.com/myo-reps-in-english/ to early to say how they will work, but my shoulders and arms were FRIED after the first session like they haven't been in awhile.

Prior to that was doing 3 x 4-6 for big compounds two days a week (Sun and Thurs), and 3 x 8 for all assistance/isolation stuff. It worked well, maintained size and strength went up even on a pretty strict calorie deficit and very low carbs.
4/1/13 4:15 PM
TuLegit

5 miles in the morning before breakfasf 6 days a week
Kettlebell 35lbs for about 30 mins
5-6 days a week Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 4:57 PM
CMX
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another 5 3 1 participant, just finished month 2 , sticking with it for 2013 and then i will see where i am Phone Post
4/1/13 8:31 PM
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash

My own routine. 5 day split high volume. Pyramid sets for compound movements, drop sets for isolation. Making more gains than I ever have. Phone Post 3.0
4/2/13 1:01 AM
temp170618
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Westside for Skinny Bastards 3....

with additional days of cardio (steady state/intervals)
4/13/13 7:01 PM
fanat

Sub Phone Post
4/13/13 11:09 PM
aries45
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
4/13/13 11:17 PM
Chocolate Shatner
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Working on a 5-3-1 plan, modified to fit my restrictions. Just going into a deload week, and really feeling good.
4/14/13 9:59 PM
Nuckin Futs
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/3/1 big but boring, and I'm loving it. I don't see myself switching to anything else for a very long time.
4/15/13 6:15 AM
Shanle929

Just got done with a 6/12/25 workout. Now at a Box doing Crossfit. After 4-8 weeks of that probably......? I'll decide later. Phone Post 3.0
4/15/13 9:54 AM
Tilla

Just Boxing and S&C.
4/15/13 11:37 AM
spidermanik
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

waxwing slain - Just started week 40 of 5/3/1, alternating between "boring but big" and "simplest strength" every 3 months.

My training partner is an old ammy bodybuilder who only begrudgingly got on with me around week ~20 (he considered the volume too low) and despite being 43, he benched 330 for 2 today and 345 for one this morning. His previous best in his 20s was 350. Needless to say he's completely on board now... Phone Post 3.0
Simplest strength? Got a link? Phone Post
4/15/13 12:23 PM
waxwing slain

spidermanik - 
waxwing slain - Just started week 40 of 5/3/1, alternating between "boring but big" and "simplest strength" every 3 months.

Simplest strength? Got a link? Phone Post

He details it on pg 52 of the e-book (second edition I believe).

Here's a link to an excel sheet with details:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:sTKpF0dx12oJ:muscleandbrawn.com/forums/attachments/training-resources/7990d1364356615-wendler-5-3-1-simplest-strength-template-wendler-531-simplest-strength-template.xls+&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
4/15/13 7:40 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Twice a week, I jog for 20 minutes then do a brief HIT workout.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.