UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> No workout partner, want to get big!!

3/30/13 7:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sixdog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking for some opinions on how I can get over my plateau. Due to work I workout at a generally strange time so I don't have a workout partner. I am 5'7" 190, relatively strong but I am having a hard time getting over 190. I am relating that to the fact that I cannot lift as heavy as possible due to lack of a consistent partner.

Any ideas for hypertrophy without a workout partner??? Phone Post
3/30/13 8:36 PM
HERTSWENIP
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/13 8:38 PM
You're already pretty thick at those proportions, how heavy are you trying to get?

YOu can safetly use higher intensities by not training to failure, and increasing the total number of sets. If you're one of those who insists on training to failure, try machines or dumbell variations, or a lightweight "finisher" immediately after your last heavy work set.

A power cage with pins can also be used as a "spotter"
3/30/13 9:00 PM
sixdog

HERTSWENIP - You're already pretty thick at those proportions, how heavy are you trying to get?

YOu can safetly use higher intensities by not training to failure, and increasing the total number of sets. If you're one of those who insists on training to failure, try machines or dumbell variations, or a lightweight "finisher" immediately after your last heavy work set.

A power cage with pins can also be used as a "spotter"
Thanks for the advice. I really don't go to failure ever due to not having a spotter. I used a variation of strong lifts 5x5 to get where I am at. I would like to lean out a little, which I am working on through diet and my goal is a ripped 200lbs. Just feels like I don't "leave it all in the gym" due to fears of getting hurt without an appropriate partner. Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 9:42 PM
KILLALL
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DUMBELLS
and
CABLES

They work great when you have no spotter and you want to lift heavy. Phone Post 3.0
3/30/13 11:19 PM
jeremy hamilton
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You do not need a partner. I have never had a partner and I only ever have a spot in competition. I also almost never miss a rep. Know your limits, building strength does not require you to test them every time you train.
3/31/13 2:51 AM
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash

I prefer working out alone. Easier to focus. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.