UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Helwani: Dana says Gustaffson may still fight

4/1/13 12:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chromium
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/01/13 12:07 AM

According to MMAFighting.com, Dana White texted Ariel Helwani tonight that

"The [Swedish Mixed Martial Arts Federation] has not said he can't fight, and he wants to fight"

It appears the fight is not canceled after all right now. Maybe Dana White is working something out with the commission?

4/1/13 12:25 AM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's not really saying anything. It's true they haven't cancelled it yet, but they will. Here's the pres of the fed himself:

Swedish MMA Federation president Gorge Sallfeldt told MMANYTT.se that three doctors, one in person and two examining photos, have determined that the cut Gustafsson suffered in one of his final sparring sessions will take weeks to heal.

Sallfeldt added that, even if the cut were to heal by Friday, letting someone go into a fight “with heavy scar tissue would not be an option.”

“It is very difficult to see that this will be medically approved on Friday,” said Sallfeldt, adding that Gustafsson wanted to go ahead with the fight, but “this is a medical decision and not up to Alexander himself.”

Basically the only reason he's not out of the fight yet is because technically they don't make that decision until Friday, but no one is going to clear him, sounds like.

4/1/13 1:51 AM
JetSetter

War Gus! Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 1:51 AM
Chromium
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

@orcus: I think Dana White might try and negotiate something here anyway. He does have leverage, atlhough right now it seems awfully grim.

Anyway, I somehow missed the other thread on this, so mods, feel free to close this thread.

4/1/13 2:00 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
894 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana says it's still a go, let's see if the Commission allows it.

4/1/13 2:01 AM
Jaybrone
329 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it took stitches to close the fight aint happening. I just don't see it.

4/1/13 2:04 AM
orcus

Chromium - 

@orcus: I think Dana White might try and negotiate something here anyway. He does have leverage, atlhough right now it seems awfully grim.

Anyway, I somehow missed the other thread on this, so mods, feel free to close this thread.

I don't think there's anything to negotiate. There's really nothing he can do. 

Anyway, hope I'm wrong.

4/1/13 2:11 AM
Sid22

If this fight gets cancelled I dont know what to say....First they oversaturate the market then half the time half the fighters drop out of the fights this is nuts....
4/1/13 2:39 AM
orcus

Sid22 - If this fight gets cancelled I dont know what to say....First they oversaturate the market then half the time half the fighters drop out of the fights this is nuts....

Would it be better if you waited 3 months between events and then the card fell apart due to injuries? This card falls apart, no big deal -- in a couple weeks we have Gil/Benson.

4/1/13 2:58 AM
ziggystardust
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's no way the Swedish MMA Federation would risk the legality of MMA in Sweden for Zuffa. The fight is off. Phone Post
4/1/13 2:59 AM
Toquinho
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^not if you paid for cage side tickets incl plane and hotel for a group.

The rest of the card is not interesting to me on paper... Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 3:00 AM
Toquinho
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana should say the fight gies on or no ufc in seeden anymore and "if he dies, he dies" Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 3:16 AM
Sid22

orcus - 
Sid22 - If this fight gets cancelled I dont know what to say....First they oversaturate the market then half the time half the fighters drop out of the fights this is nuts....

Would it be better if you waited 3 months between events and then the card fell apart due to injuries? This card falls apart, no big deal -- in a couple weeks we have Gil/Benson.

its just so weird this keeps happening in pretty huge fights...the hendo bones fight is one that springs right to mind....
4/1/13 4:10 AM
Bucephalus

It's understandable if Gustaffson is afraid to fight because of a cut while sparring. Mousasi is very dangerous and would likely have won either way. Hopefully he heals up soon so we can finally see the fight.
4/1/13 4:12 AM
Jons Forsberg

Edited: 04/01/13 4:13 AM
pretty dumb to do a sparring session this close to the fight, especially with the entire event depending on him.
4/1/13 4:36 AM
Doctor Snuggles

RobinHood - 
Jons Forsberg - pretty dumb to do a sparring session this close to the fight, especially with the entire event depending on him.
Hi Greg Jackson. Phone Post

Eh? It's effin common sense, dude.

4/1/13 4:46 AM
6ULDV8

Is this an April fool?

4/1/13 5:03 AM
Brian J DSouza

Jons Forsberg - pretty dumb to do a sparring session this close to the fight, especially with the entire event depending on him.

Accidents happen. Without sparring close to a fight, fighters aren't sharp. Who knows how the cut occured? This stuff happens, almost at random to unlucky fighters.

4/1/13 5:26 AM
cawsie77
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

According to Front Row Brian it was a blade job!! So Gustafson gets jones! Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 5:26 AM
The Persian Devil
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/01/13 5:26 AM
Brian J DSouza - 
Jons Forsberg - pretty dumb to do a sparring session this close to the fight, especially with the entire event depending on him.

Accidents happen. Without sparring close to a fight, fighters aren't sharp. Who knows how the cut occured? This stuff happens, almost at random to unlucky fighters.

It occured during a wrestling drill and he got caught against the fence.
4/1/13 5:33 AM
Amano Ginji
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6ULDV8 -

Is this an April fool?

hoping for this too :) Phone Post
4/1/13 5:53 AM
pegson123

If this bloke wanted to fight. He would of kept this underwraps. None of us pricks would of known anything until prolly weigh in. U glue in shut, makeup. If you really wanted to fight. Sure u may still come undone.

But leaking it to the world is the complete opposite that's saying hey no fight for me. I don't blame him. But it's pretty clear.

4/1/13 6:49 AM
simonpe

SMMAF said it's 99% sure Alex can't fight... Phone Post
4/1/13 6:53 AM
GSPsShadyHandWraps
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pegson123 - 

If this bloke wanted to fight. He would of kept this underwraps. None of us pricks would of known anything until prolly weigh in. U glue in shut, makeup. If you really wanted to fight. Sure u may still come undone.

But leaking it to the world is the complete opposite that's saying hey no fight for me. I don't blame him. But it's pretty clear.

You should step up bro, its clear from your posts that you are a true warrior
4/1/13 7:02 AM
random_muppett
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pegson123 -

No. Just......no. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.