UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> What is strong?

4/1/13 1:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LCSULLA
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am curious...what do you consider strong? It seems like everyone has a different definition...so what is yours?
4/1/13 2:00 PM
shootfighterbull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My idea of strong is only relative to myself, so a bench of 250, dl of 400, a squat of 350 and an ohp of 150 are goals of mine. When I reach them, ill feel like i'm pretty strong. Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 2:02 PM
fuzzislipperz
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a tricky question. I've set goals for myself and thought,"when I can do that, I'll be as strong as I ever want to be". And once I achieve that goal, I want to continue getting stronger because I don't consider myself strong...like I thought I would. Right now, strong to me is squatting over 500lbs and pulling(deadlifts) 585lbs. But those are also my current goals for myself. Once I get there, I know I'll want to get stronger. Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 2:30 PM
LCSULLA
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fuzzislipperz - It's a tricky question. I've set goals for myself and thought,"when I can do that, I'll be as strong as I ever want to be". And once I achieve that goal, I want to continue getting stronger because I don't consider myself strong...like I thought I would. Right now, strong to me is squatting over 500lbs and pulling(deadlifts) 585lbs. But those are also my current goals for myself. Once I get there, I know I'll want to get stronger. Phone Post 3.0

I can agree with that assesment. But as shootfighterbull wrote...his goals are lowere then yours. And I am always wondering what people consider strong.

Like a 655 deadlift for reps is insanely strong to me.

How close are you now to those goals?
4/1/13 2:51 PM
fuzzislipperz
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LCSULLA -
fuzzislipperz - It's a tricky question. I've set goals for myself and thought,"when I can do that, I'll be as strong as I ever want to be". And once I achieve that goal, I want to continue getting stronger because I don't consider myself strong...like I thought I would. Right now, strong to me is squatting over 500lbs and pulling(deadlifts) 585lbs. But those are also my current goals for myself. Once I get there, I know I'll want to get stronger. Phone Post 3.0

I can agree with that assesment. But as shootfighterbull wrote...his goals are lowere then yours. And I am always wondering what people consider strong.

Like a 655 deadlift for reps is insanely strong to me.

How close are you now to those goals?
I can deadlift 545lbs...so not to far from that one. But I just squatted 405lbs about a month ago for the first time, so I have some work to do there. Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 3:27 PM
shootfighterbull

shootfighterbull - My idea of strong is only relative to myself, so a bench of 250, dl of 400, a squat of 350 and an ohp of 150 are goals of mine. When I reach them, ill feel like i'm pretty strong. Phone Post 3.0
And to continue with the train of thought in this thread, once I reach those goals, the concept of strong will then go up for me. Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 4:53 PM
CMX
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To me strong is anything over 300 bench 400 squat and 500 deadlift of course if i ever reach those numbers i will still.want to improve my numbers Phone Post
4/1/13 5:12 PM
HUMBLED1
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/01/13 5:12 PM
I just hit 315 on my squats,just starting out on deadlifts and bench. Im at 215 on bench and 205 dead lift. Just starting slow on dead lift,i have never ever done them before.My idea of strong would be to break 500 on a squat and 325 on bench,400 on DL.

I have been doing nothing but bodyweight and bar work last 2 months.
4/1/13 6:25 PM
CMX
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your DL should go up the fastest and should be your highest Phone Post
4/1/13 11:22 PM
KILLALL
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bench: 275
DL: 400
Squat 400 Phone Post 3.0
4/2/13 1:00 AM
temp170618
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There was a thread on the OG about this question.....

The general consensus seemed that these were numbers, that if you could hit, you could consider yourself very strong:

OH Press....205lbs
Bench...315lbs
Squat....405lbs
DL....495lbs

I'm a long way off from any of these, but I have these as my long term goals..
4/2/13 7:53 AM
LCSULLA

Paul Carter, who writes stuff for EliteFTS and is good friends with Jim Wendler states this is strong:

Bench 315 for 20
Dips 200 for 10
Chins 100 for 10
Squats and Deads 500 for 20
Standing Press 315 for 1
Curls 185 for 10

I think the amount of people that could most of these could fit on a row boat. Too me if you hit even one of these you are crazy strong.
4/2/13 8:32 AM
1800champagne

Being able to throw everyone around on the mats. Humping a 90 lb pack for 30 miles. Phone Post 3.0
4/2/13 9:32 AM
tristar
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just as I think I'm getting kind of strong, you gotta go and post those Paul Carter numbers. Phone Post
4/2/13 2:19 PM
fuzzislipperz

LCSULLA - Paul Carter, who writes stuff for EliteFTS and is good friends with Jim Wendler states this is strong:

Bench 315 for 20
Dips 200 for 10
Chins 100 for 10
Standing Press 315 for 1
Curls 185 for 10

I think the amount of people that could most of these could fit on a row boat. Too me if you hit even one of these you are crazy strong.
Well, I don't think I will ever be strong in his opinion. Phone Post 3.0
4/2/13 4:07 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fuzzislipperz - 
LCSULLA - Paul Carter, who writes stuff for EliteFTS and is good friends with Jim Wendler states this is strong:

Bench 315 for 20
Dips 200 for 10
Chins 100 for 10
Standing Press 315 for 1
Curls 185 for 10

Well, I don't think I will ever be strong in his opinion. Phone Post 3.0

This is coming from guys that laugh if you walk around less than 220lbs so take it with a grain of salt. 20 rep 500lb deadlifts? Lol ok homie. No one knows what anderson silva deadlifts, lets just say that.
4/2/13 6:42 PM
shadallion
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

temp170618 - There was a thread on the OG about this question.....

The general consensus seemed that these were numbers, that if you could hit, you could consider yourself very strong:

OH Press....205lbs
Bench...315lbs
Squat....405lbs
DL....495lbs

I'm a long way off from any of these, but I have these as my long term goals..

Yeah, that was my original thought (although I listed OHP at 225).

Basically going by plates per side on a bar.

2 for OHP
3 for bench
4 for squat
5 for deadlift

The 225 OHP is really heavy though. I don't know if I've ever seen someone do that in the gym.

Hence the reduction to 205 (a 45 and a 35)
4/2/13 6:44 PM
shadallion
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LCSULLA - Paul Carter, who writes stuff for EliteFTS and is good friends with Jim Wendler states this is strong:

Bench 315 for 20
Dips 200 for 10
Chins 100 for 10
Standing Press 315 for 1
Curls 185 for 10

And if we're talking people who aren't juicing, that rowboat will be empty.

GTFO with those numbers!
4/3/13 7:45 AM
LCSULLA

Hahaha. Oh I agree with you. Those numbers are nuts. I imagine you would have to be 250lbs, at least to hit most those...if at all.
4/3/13 9:01 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strong is the opposite of weak.
4/4/13 8:36 AM
AdrianK
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strong to me has changed many times over the years, it used to be based on certain goals and numbers or things I've seen other people do that I wish I could equal.

Now I see true strength as a mindset, it's the realization that the numbers don't matter because you know inside that you can reach them, that you can always get better. No matter what the goal you can inch your way to it little by little with hard work and perseverance. You realize, you believe that your limits are imaginary, that limits are just in your head they aren't real. You've smashed through them so many times and you are so far beyond what you ever thought possible in the beginning that you just don't believe in them anymore. You know you can take things into uncharted territory and you have no idea how far you can go, you just know for sure that you can keep working and keep getting better. That's where real strength lies, not in arbitrary numbers.
4/4/13 4:04 PM
Wiggy
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think this is a pretty cool topic - one that I have some (what some will probably think are) eclectic thoughts on.

I'm gonna turn this into a video for my youtube channel and list - will post it here after it's live in a day or two.
4/4/13 6:45 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the only one that matters is squat 500

You squat 500 you're probably strong in everything else too
4/6/13 6:32 AM
Shanle929

Bench=1.5x body weight
Overhead press= body weight
Squat= 2x body weight
Deadlift= 2.5x body weight Phone Post 3.0
4/6/13 7:35 AM
AdrianK
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shanle I like those guidelines. I think one or the other will be more of a challenge for different people depending on their leverages etc and which lifts are their strengths and weaknesses. Also I'd say if going with bodyweight on an overhead press it should be a strict press with no leg drive and no jerk of any kind just a straight up push overhead.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.