UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> What is strong?

4/6/13 6:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dizz
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shanle929 - Bench=1.5x body weight
Overhead press= body weight
Squat= 2x body weight
Deadlift= 2.5x body weight Phone Post 3.0
I like this standard

I don't like that I can't hit any of them, though :( Phone Post
4/6/13 9:22 PM
AdrianK
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dizz - 
Shanle929 - Bench=1.5x body weight
Overhead press= body weight
Squat= 2x body weight
Deadlift= 2.5x body weight Phone Post 3.0
I like this standard

I don't like that I can't hit any of them, though :( Phone Post

I can hit the 1st 3 for reps but I'm not there on the deadlift. Soon I hope though, I'm in that neighborhood anyway.
4/7/13 4:40 AM
Shanle929
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't do the bench or the deadlift. Never have a consistent spotter to get a good bench but really close to deadlift..... I'll get it soon Phone Post 3.0
4/14/13 5:41 AM
JFC1001
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strength is relative. Be mentally strong. Be a good person and kick arse with your family, friends, kids and the gym. When you reach your late 30's and 40's no one will give a fuck about your deadlift or bench numbers. Phone Post 3.0
4/14/13 3:07 PM
AdrianK
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JFC1001 - Strength is relative. Be mentally strong. Be a good person and kick arse with your family, friends, kids and the gym. When you reach your late 30's and 40's no one will give a fuck about your deadlift or bench numbers. Phone Post 3.0

LOL I'm 39 on my next birthday and I just keep getting stronger and plenty of people give a fuck about my gym numbers cause they have to compete against me. I come across a lot people like you who think 40 is old and too old to be doing this kind of thing but you are all sadly mistaken. Many people believe that is the age where your strength peaks and your muscled fully mature.
4/14/13 6:23 PM
WilsonBeatMySkinRed
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My PL total right now is 1465...my current short term goal is 1500...to me, that's pretty fucking strong. once I hit 1500 I would like to make a puch for 16, and eventually try and total 2000 raw. Lofty goal I know, but well see. Im currently 100 ercent clean, but to total 2k I may eventually resort to some pharmaceuticals.
4/14/13 7:08 PM
Shanle929

Agree with AdrianK too. Although only 33 I want all the above. Mentally strong and "gym" strong. It's a lifestyle. And my lady agrees. Phone Post 3.0
4/14/13 8:28 PM
jeremy hamilton
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think taking everyone's personal definitions of strength (including my own) and crushing them is what I consider strong.
4/15/13 7:58 AM
LCSULLA
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the reponse, AdrianK. I was going to respond and decided I didnt want an internet argument.

And I agree with everything you said.
4/15/13 7:59 AM
LCSULLA
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WilsonBeatMySkinRed - My PL total right now is 1465...my current short term goal is 1500...to me, that's pretty fucking strong. once I hit 1500 I would like to make a puch for 16, and eventually try and total 2000 raw. Lofty goal I know, but well see. Im currently 100 ercent clean, but to total 2k I may eventually resort to some pharmaceuticals.

Whats the break down of 1465? BP, DL, and SQ?
4/15/13 10:27 PM
WilsonBeatMySkinRed
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

425 bench 505 dead 535 squat...my squat and dead suck for my size, but it is what it is...im relatively new to the sport.
4/15/13 11:36 PM
Shanle929

Squat is more than your deadlift.....? Phone Post 3.0
4/16/13 9:34 AM
WilsonBeatMySkinRed

Shanle929 - Squat is more than your deadlift.....? Phone Post 3.0

yup...im having trouble with my deadlift lately...Ive pulled 585 before with straps, but Im having some major issues with the over under grip. Ill work it out eventually, but those are my numbers right now.
4/16/13 4:47 PM
InYoMommaCloset

WilsonBeatMySkinRed - 425 bench 505 dead 535 squat...my squat and dead suck for my size, but it is what it is...im relatively new to the sport.

lol - Oh yeah?

What's your size?

Gigantor, one would have to assume.
4/16/13 7:25 PM
shadallion

425 bench is monstrous, nice job.
4/16/13 9:56 PM
WilsonBeatMySkinRed

InYoMommaCloset - 
WilsonBeatMySkinRed - 425 bench 505 dead 535 squat...my squat and dead suck for my size, but it is what it is...im relatively new to the sport.

lol - Oh yeah?

What's your size?

Gigantor, one would have to assume.

6'2" 290. Theres a video of my bench in the biggest bench thread, you can see what I look like. Ive got some extra lbs but Ive always been an athletic big fella. Played football and baseball my whole life till college and then rugby thereafter until last year. I really started focusing on powerlifting at 26 about a year ago and that's when I quit rugby cause I wanted to get a little bigger. I was about 260 then.
4/16/13 9:59 PM
WilsonBeatMySkinRed

shadallion - 425 bench is monstrous, nice job.

thank you sir.
4/17/13 3:07 PM
JFC1001
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AdrianK -
JFC1001 - Strength is relative. Be mentally strong. Be a good person and kick arse with your family, friends, kids and the gym. When you reach your late 30's and 40's no one will give a fuck about your deadlift or bench numbers. Phone Post 3.0

LOL I'm 39 on my next birthday and I just keep getting stronger and plenty of people give a fuck about my gym numbers cause they have to compete against me. I come across a lot people like you who think 40 is old and too old to be doing this kind of thing but you are all sadly mistaken. Many people believe that is the age where your strength peaks and your muscled fully mature.
Sorry man. I didn't mean being too old. I meant that some people like me have had significant injuries through martial arts and lifting and now do more bodyweight conditioning and flexibility training. That shit is important as you start hitting your 40s. Oh and diet. How that sucks but you have to keep it in check Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 9:52 PM
WilsonBeatMySkinRed

JFC1001 - 
AdrianK -

Sorry man. I didn't mean being too old. I meant that some people like me have had significant injuries through martial arts and lifting and now do more bodyweight conditioning and flexibility training. That shit is important as you start hitting your 40s. Oh and diet. How that sucks but you have to keep it in check Phone Post 3.0

I have two coaches, both of which are over 40 (ones 47 and ones 63) and they both bench 400 lbs or better. the 47 year old one hit a 500 lb bench about a year ago but hes going super light lately cause hes got some bad tendonitis. He can also still squat and deadlift over 500 lbs. the 63 year old one cant squat or deadlift because of his old man knees but id say a 400 lb bench at 63 would be just fine for me.
4/18/13 4:20 AM
JFC1001

WilsonBeatMySkinRed -
JFC1001 - 
AdrianK -

I have two coaches, both of which are over 40 (ones 47 and ones 63) and they both bench 400 lbs or better. the 47 year old one hit a 500 lb bench about a year ago but hes going super light lately cause hes got some bad tendonitis. He can also still squat and deadlift over 500 lbs. the 63 year old one cant squat or deadlift because of his old man knees but id say a 400 lb bench at 63 would be just fine for me.
Jesus Christ. They sound like beasts. VTFU Phone Post 3.0
4/18/13 10:01 AM
Easytarget
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

300/400/500 and OHP your bodyweight.

I read those in Brawn a loonng time ago and they are goals of mine which I haven't reached yet (besides the squat) but nearly. Some people have big lifts on this board, but for most gym goers the numbers i posted would be definitely 'strong'.
4/18/13 12:54 PM
WilsonBeatMySkinRed

JFC1001 - 
WilsonBeatMySkinRed -
JFC1001 - 
AdrianK -

Jesus Christ. They sound like beasts. VTFU Phone Post 3.0

They are, and Im very lucky to have both of them.
4/18/13 11:23 PM
WilsonBeatMySkinRed

http://youtu.be/VinXMrZXpUA

Theres my deadlift video, if youe xperience powerlifters like Leigh and Jeremy Hamilton wanna give me some pointers on the over under grip. Keeping the bar close I feel has been my biggest problem. Ive been doing a lot of upper back work for it. Hang snatches and rows mostly.
4/19/13 9:37 AM
jeremy hamilton
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ Ain't nothing going to fix you like doing more deadlifts can. From this angle your deadlift doesn't look bad to me. You just need more practice.

What do your coaches say or have planned out for you? When is your meet?
4/19/13 9:55 AM
AdrianK

JFC1001 - 
AdrianK -

Thanks for the clarification. I might be a bit over sensitive on that topic sometimes cause a lot of people talk shit to me about it, it's always people who can't compete with me too lol. Funny how that works the biggest trash talkers are almost always the ones who can't do shit.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.