UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> NJ, Nevada clarify weigh in rules

4/1/13 2:50 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1075 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Last week, Quebec athletic commission representative Joyce Tremblay said that the weigh-in rules in place for Georges St-Pierre's UFC 158 welterweight title defense against Nick Diaz allow fighters to weigh up to 0.9 pounds above the 170-pound weight limit, and still be recorded as 170.

The commission said further that this is the standard generally, and was not an exception made for St-Pierre.

The weigh-in figures for the past five UFC events in Quebec, each of which included a title fight, all show whole numbers only, with no decimal points.

Dave Deibert of Post Media news sought out two of the leading ACs in the nation, to see how they calculate fight weight.

According to Nevada Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer, officials in the state “go by half-pounds so I round down to the nearest half-pound.”

In Nevada, added Kizer, the scales used go up and down by .2 pounds, so 170 pounds, 170.2 pounds and 170.4 pounds would be rounded down to 170 pounds and be considered to have made weight in the welterweight division. A fighter at 170.6 pounds or 170.8 pounds would round down to 170.5 pounds and be given up to one hour to lose the necessary weight.

In the state of New Jersey, common practice includes making exact weight (or less) for championship bouts.

Nick Lembo, counsel for the New Jersey Athletic Control Board, said that his agency “will allow one pound over on a contract weight, unless the promoter denies such allowance. However, the caveat is that most promoters want major title fights to be dead-on weight. Thus, 170 becomes exactly 170 or less.”

In previous UFC events in the state of New Jersey, UFC officials did not request a one-pound allowance for championship bouts, added Lembo.

Read entire article...

4/1/13 3:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Standup29
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well this should help clear up some of the thoughts that none of the AC's round and all have to adhere to the same rules.
While this does not mean nothing was wrong in any way up in Canada, at least many can move past the rounding part. Sure .9 over is a lot but if it's how they do things then so be it.

This should also create awareness for all fighters to contact the AC they aee fighting in and get their interpretation of the decimal. This would eliminate controversy with regards to what is considered "on weight". Phone Post
4/1/13 3:05 PM
UGCTT_CloudStrife
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so Nevada has always rounded down .4 and nobody has ever made a stink about it.

4/1/13 3:12 PM
herwil10
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_CloudStrife - 

Yeah this.
4/1/13 3:14 PM
orcus

Edited: 04/01/13 3:21 PM
UGCTT_CloudStrife - 

Exactly. Even for megafights like Pacquiao and Mayweather championship fights. No one but ignorant MMA fans following the lead of their crybaby leader gives one fuck.

4/1/13 3:29 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

This sucks. Now what will Diaz fans cling on to? Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 3:30 PM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

This sucks. Now what will Diaz fans cling on to? Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 3:55 PM
The Ninilchik Nightmare
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why not make 170 just be 170? Then there is nothing to argue about.

Why would anything over 170 be acceptable? Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 4:02 PM
sweepnchoke
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Ninilchik Nightmare - Why not make 170 just be 170? Then there is nothing to argue about.

That makes no sense, and would just be entirely too confusing.
4/1/13 4:08 PM
Ip Man 81

HOLLYWOOD-MO - This sucks. Now what will Diaz fans cling on to? Phone Post 3.0
The end of his nut hairs Phone Post 3.0
4/1/13 4:11 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

The Ninilchik Nightmare - Why not make 170 just be 170? Then there is nothing to argue about.

this. sounds like NJ does it right.

4/1/13 4:17 PM
PR
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

God this sport is so amateurish at times.
4/1/13 4:45 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

PR - God this sport is so amateurish at times.

Shut up! This is normal and there is nothing shady/fishy about what happened. You are just an ignorant MMA fan following the lead of your cry baby leader (Diaz)...

-Orcus

4/1/13 4:57 PM
jzus14

well now nick diaz wont pay his taxes because he needs to pay his lawyers to come up with another excuse lol i love the way he fights but he needs to grow up...
4/1/13 5:05 PM
UGCTT_CreepysStacheWax

What did nate weigh when he fought bendo and had to cut to 155 on the dot? Phone Post
4/1/13 5:18 PM
herwil10
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_CreepysStacheWax -  What did nate weigh when he fought bendo and had to cut to 155 on the dot? Phone Post

The WA state commission obviously does not round down. He was 155.6, then 155.2, then made weight on the third try.
4/1/13 5:30 PM
dakotajudo
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scales do not weigh exactly. Most that I've looked at have a measurement error of 0.1 - 0.2 pounds. Thus, a fighter can be at exactly 170.0 pounds, but on the scale be measured at 170.2.

This only applies if the scale has been calibrated, and has not drifted from calibration.

So, to allow for a margin of error in measurement, commissions may choose to round.

FWIW, 170 is 170; how 170.x is read is the issue.

4/1/13 5:32 PM
Sid22

GSP fans are the worst..their guy greases up but its no big deal he doesnt make weight but it Diazs fault for calling him out??
4/1/13 6:17 PM
kevsh
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sid22 - GSP fans are the worst..their guy greases up but its no big deal he doesnt make weight but it Diazs fault for calling him out??

Thanks, you made me chuckle. GSP fans are the ... worst? As in, even worse than Diaz fans? Ahhhhh, that explains it, you're new.
4/1/13 6:47 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Glovegate -

Just lol @ the mountain being made out of this molehill.

Even if the shadiest possible thing you could imagine happened, the circumstances are such that it was only a fraction of a single pound of leeway.

The margin of error for these scales is probably bigger than that and they have been off before, resulting in a bunch of guys missing weight by fractions in a single event.

Yawn.  What else you haters got?  Accent?  Decisions?  Never ends with these haters of success.

Waaaahhh GSP greased, Anderson ducks, Jones is so cocky.   Blah blah blah.

I am honestly shocked that you don't grasp that many people that are upset about this don't care who the routers are, they care that there is clearly some shady dealings going on with the commission and the ufc regarding making rules clear and consistent.

I am far from a Diaz fan. Caposa is far from a Diaz fan, and many other logical posters have voiced the same concerns. We would like clarity and consistency.

If Quebec will always round down in ufc events then EVERY fighter should be made aware and that rule should be in writting. The fighters who cut a lot of weight would sure love to be able to stop almost a full pound sooner. Phone Post
4/1/13 6:47 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Fighters* not routers Phone Post
4/1/13 6:53 PM
pcuzz

Most AC's are not set up to calibrate scales and so the tendency would be to allow some leeway. I know some fights I have been at I asked the AC when the scale was calibrated and they gave me a blank look.
4/1/13 6:54 PM
drrilll
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow you know what this means. GSP's camp has gotten to Kizer. Who is next?
4/1/13 6:57 PM
Lazer MMA

Edited: 04/01/13 6:58 PM

Yea we know. They have a consistent practice in Vegas and don't go back and forth, lie about the use of decimals, and favor a fighter from Vegas by rounding down from .999 to the lesser weight (for the local fighter).

They don't play that shady crap (as well as other shady crap like changing the amount of time to weigh in if weight is not met) to suck a local fighter balls in Vegas!
4/1/13 6:58 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

pcuzz - Most AC's are not set up to calibrate scales and so the tendency would be to allow some leeway. I know some fights I have been at I asked the AC when the scale was calibrated and they gave me a blank look.

I believe the Quebec commission requires a scale that is calibrated to be accurate within 10 grams or something. They don't "need" to give this allowance at all. They also seem to pick and choose when they give the allowance and when they don't. As an example, when Hopkins was fighting a Quebec fighter for a title, they DID use the decimal and made him cut an additional .6 lbs. Just an odd coincedence and they apparently broke their own rule that says combatants shall never be granted additional time to cut more weight...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.