UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Recommend me a yoga program

4/1/13 10:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BjjDominates
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking to start a yoga program because my flexibility is terrible. Wondering if anyone knows any at home yoga DVDs or programs I could start. Looking for something beginner that progresses. Any recommendations? Phone Post
4/2/13 12:56 AM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DDP YRG

4/7/13 9:22 PM
nowaydo
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
4/8/13 1:13 AM
submachine
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/08/13 1:14 AM
i really like shadow yoga, but there are very few places that offer it. in fact, in general, i don't like yoga, but shadow yoga is tight.

shadowyoga.com

there is a dvd of the forms (they're like kata), but there is no explanation of how to do it, so if you want to learn correctly and safely, you basically have to go to a seminar or have a teacher nearby.
4/8/13 5:40 AM
Superman84
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shadow Yoga looks awesome. Any good links to resources online? Seen some stuff on youtube. I like the flowing freestyle routine
4/22/13 1:59 PM
Palmala Handerson
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for Shadow Yoga.
4/23/13 12:05 PM
SidRon
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku, would you mind sharing more of what you know about DDP Yoga and why you recommend it? Thanks in advance.
4/23/13 11:14 PM
alley
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like David Swenson's Short Forms as beginner yoga video. There's a 15 minute program, 30 minute program and 45 minute program on the same dvd.

It's ashtanga yoga. Here's a youtube video of Swenson showing the ultra advanced stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c3k61KyrZw (blue please)

4/24/13 12:18 PM
HeyMarkIt1886
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doyogawithme.com has tons of different vids and styles. Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 1:11 AM
submachine

palmala, do you do shadow yoga? where do you train? how long have you trained?

superman84, i think they intentionally try not to put any instructional resources out online, because they don't want to water down the art. they want to force you to learn from someone in person.

your best bet is to search the shadow yoga website and see if there is an instructor near you. if not, you might have to travel to do a workshop. look for a workshop on the first form, the "balakrama." after you work on that for a while, then you can look for a workshop on the "chaya yoddha sancalanam," the second form. that's the one i just learned. the last form is the "kartikkeya mandalam." i haven't learned that one yet. you do these forms for 3-7 years before you focus on asanas.

5/14/13 6:26 AM
Shanle929

Never heard of or tried Shadow yoga, ill have to look into it. Have been looking into and have tried Gynastica Natural. Liking it a lot from what I have tried and read. It's a mixture of yoga and animal type movements. Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 2:07 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kundalini Yoga if you can find a qualified instructor

From my experience yoga is a lot like a martial art, you really can't learn as much from a video as you can from an instructor. You have to be pretty in-tune with your body either way if you're doing 'home' study.

If you're doing it just for flexibility purposes there are faster methods imo.
5/15/13 2:26 PM
babygetoboy1

What are the ways to flexibility faster? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.