UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones: Sonnen my weakest opponent to date

4/2/13 11:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_ForeverOwnedByFryedTakayama
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Darth Ryase -

In before Sonnenites come to defend their man.

Love that term! Phone Post
4/2/13 11:10 AM
ABE FROMAN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL, Jon is correct. This is going to be only a little less heartbreaking than both the Anderson fights. This board is going to be a crying mess.

4/2/13 11:11 AM
Steve4192
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willin - 

It's amazing how people act like Chael has a mental deficiency to find a way to lose. He has an incredible wrestling record. He's fought tons of guys and won most minutes of each fight he's been in.

When he fought the best fighter alive, Anderson, he won for for 23 minutes straight via hard work and was exhausted when he got caught by a submission. He was effectively the WEC Middleweight champion but didn't officially receive a belt because Paulo Filho was a bum who couldn't make weight.

Chael doesn't have an issue with finding a way to lose. He constantly challenges himself more than the vast majority of fighters and occasionally gets caught in a submission. Oh well.

It's because of his dominance that people question his mental makeup. Chael has at least half-a-dozen losses on his record where he was flat out dominating his opponent before pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. He's like the NFL quarterback who is known for throwing fourth quarter interceptions or the MLB relief pitcher who dominates in middle relief but sucks as a closer. There is something in his mental makeup that prevents him from succeeding in big moments.

Also, there is nothing 'occasional' about Sonnen getting caught in a submission. 67% of his losses and 20% of his fights overall end in him getting caught in submission. That's 'on the regular', not 'on occasion'.
4/2/13 11:13 AM
Sprawl'n'Stall
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sort891 - so it's settled... I won't buy the fight.

great job selling the event... ???

Ha ha I thought the same thing. His words are brutal, and will be even more so if he does win easily, but those aren't great for fight promotion material...
4/2/13 11:15 AM
Brian J DSouza

Serious question: who is Sonnen training with now? Why did he leave Matt Lindland?

Willin
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve4192 - 
Willin - 

It's amazing how people act like Chael has a mental deficiency to find a way to lose. He has an incredible wrestling record. He's fought tons of guys and won most minutes of each fight he's been in.

When he fought the best fighter alive, Anderson, he won for for 23 minutes straight via hard work and was exhausted when he got caught by a submission. He was effectively the WEC Middleweight champion but didn't officially receive a belt because Paulo Filho was a bum who couldn't make weight.

Chael doesn't have an issue with finding a way to lose. He constantly challenges himself more than the vast majority of fighters and occasionally gets caught in a submission. Oh well.

It's because of his dominance that people question his mental makeup. Chael has at least half-a-dozen losses on his record where he was flat out dominating his opponent before pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. He's like the NFL quarterback who is known for throwing fourth quarter interceptions or the MLB relief pitcher who dominates in middle relief but sucks as a closer. There is something in his mental makeup that prevents him from succeeding in big moments.

Also, there is nothing 'occasional' about Sonnen getting caught in a submission. 67% of his losses and 20% of his fights overall end in him getting caught in submission. That's 'on the regular', not 'on occasion'.

He also fights mostly in guard which increases the risk for submissions. He also dominates for a huge portion of most fights by using a very physically draining style.

I would attribute his submission losses more to a physical exhaustion and susceptible positioning issue rather than a psychological failing.

MASSIVE VEGETABLE
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.troll.me/images/srs-xzibit/oh-no-he-didnt.jpg Phone Post
4/2/13 11:19 AM
6ULDV8

4/2/13 11:23 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willin - 
Steve4192 - 
Willin - 

He also fights mostly in guard which increases the risk for submissions. He also dominates for a huge portion of most fights by using a very physically draining style.

I would attribute his submission losses more to a physical exhaustion and susceptible positioning issue rather than a psychological failing.

Agreed that Chael was contempt to fight in guard for most of his career but for the last couple fights you can see that he's changed his game up and now looks to advance to more dominant position so it's not as easy to catch him now. Also you when you look at his record, there's a big difference between the earlier part of his career and the latter in terms of wins/losses and subs. 

4/2/13 11:26 AM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 04/02/13 11:26 AM
Rambo John J - JJ should be glad he doesn't have to defend his belt against legit 205ers very often.

LOL, whut? Who hasn't Jon beat at 205 besides Gustaffsen? Do people just say things to say them?

4/2/13 11:30 AM
Willin
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 
Willin - 
Steve4192 - 
Willin - 

Agreed that Chael was contempt to fight in guard for most of his career but for the last couple fights you can see that he's changed his game up and now looks to advance to more dominant position so it's not as easy to catch him now. Also you when you look at his record, there's a big difference between the earlier part of his career and the latter in terms of wins/losses and subs. 

This man is onto something.

Not to mention that 3 of his early sub losses were to one man, Jeremy Horn. Jeremy clearly had his number but Chael was stilling willing to give it a shot 3 times. That takes courage.

6ULDV8 - nice poster!

4/2/13 11:30 AM
ABE FROMAN

Chaelismyhero - I just cant take Jon Jones seriously. Chael wont break like Victor Belfour.

Jon is in for a big suprise.

What can't you take seriously, the asswhipping he's about to give Chael? Will you take him seriously then or will he have to destroy the rest of Light Heavyweight for a second time?

Jon is in for a big surprise alright, 4 minutes of fighting before ending it.

4/2/13 11:31 AM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stephen Holder - At this point I want any title in the UFC to change hands, except in the case of Cain. I'll pull for whoever Jones fights and not necessarily because I dislike Jones but because shit needs to be shaken up (esp. at 170,185 and 205.)

That said and I hate to say it but I think Jon is right. Everyone keeps saying that Chael is such a great coach on TUF but I don't see that at all. Hes a total defeatist. He makes it easy for his guys to be weak like he is, telling them shit like 'its always an option to lose' and says shit that lets doubt seep into their mind. I don't get why hes like that. People talk so much shit about how hes a quitter but in reality that's his whole mentality. I'm still pullin for Chael but I'm not betting on him.

Failure IS always an option, in my opinion. Success is a choice, as much as failure is. By admitting that you always have the choice to fail, it makes you have to choose success. I believe that's an important part of the mental side of fighting. Look at Roger Huerta's face going into the third round against Clay Guida. Clay forced Roger to realize that he wasn't invincible, and you could see it all over Huerta's face. That expression was, in my opinion, a combination of two things:

1. Frustration, desperation... Roger had realized that he was on his way towards losing the fight, something he had never really had to face in his career up till that point.

2. Grim determination. Faced with the reality that failure is an option, Roger made a pointed decision to succeed. That wasn't the face of a man who believed himself to be invincible, it was the face of a man who had weighed himself accurately and he chose to take that win.

That's my opinion anyway.

4/2/13 11:33 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm also surprised nobody has called out UG Blog on their bogus title. Where did Jones says "Sonnen my weakest opponent to date"? We all know Chael would beat more than half of the guys on Jones' record anyway.

4/2/13 11:34 AM
UGCTT_nightkap
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What the hell was I thinking?!?

Phone Post
4/2/13 11:38 AM
face to foot technique

Im not buying into any of this, I love jones' style and chaels trash talk but from watching TUF its clear they have great respect for each other. Although I do think jones will likely keep it standing for a bit then beat chael at his own game taking him down and gnp his face to mush Phone Post
4/2/13 11:39 AM
Zed Wayne Zed
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are there any other Jones' fans on here?

I feel like I might be like the only one?

Man, Sonnen has a TON of fans, cray.
4/2/13 11:40 AM
DaleSonnen

It sounds like Jones is already looking past chael and not taking him serious.. We all know what happens when you dont take someone serious (Ex: Reem/Bigfoot, GSP/Serra)I can understand why Jones is cocky about this tho, he did Finish 6 of his last 7 fights, and 5 of them were Former champs, 4 of them held the belt within the past 4 years. I love Chael, but I think Jone will take it 2nd round Sub, Rear naked..
4/2/13 11:41 AM
6ULDV8

4/2/13 11:42 AM
Anderson P. Sonnen
680 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones will have a crow sandwich after that fight. Phone Post
4/2/13 11:45 AM
kyle223
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6ULDV8 - 

I'm a huge fan of Chael, but this is gold! Fucking hilarious!
4/2/13 11:46 AM
epwar
649 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joke of a fight is still a joke of a fight.

4/2/13 11:48 AM
face to foot technique

Zed Wayne Zed - Are there any other Jones' fans on here?

I feel like I might be like the only one?

Man, Sonnen has a TON of fans, cray.
Im a big fan of jones, his talent is undeniable, and after watching him on tuf on a more personal level I think hes gained alot of fans. People have to understand how young he is, he will grow out of the cockiness I think Phone Post
4/2/13 11:49 AM
6ULDV8

Chael's going to surprise us again, and then read The Spider's book to Jones.

4/2/13 11:53 AM
chaplinshouse
711 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the first guy i've heard to ever question Chael's work ethic.  u can call him a lot of things but not lazy

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.