UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hardy passes on surgery, future in UFC's hands

4/2/13 12:00 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

MMAJunkie's Steven Marrocco covers Dan Hardy's response to his recent diagnosis of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, a rare heart disorder sufficiently serious for the California State Athletic Commission to bar Hardy from fighting Matt Brown at UFC on FOX 7 on April 2. The syndrome causes most patients to have heart palpitations and a rapid heartbeat. Hardy however is symptom free, with a resting pulse rate of 42, and a maximum of 200.

So "The Outlaw" has decided to forgo surgery, even if that means the end of his UFC career.

"I don't see a reason why I would let someone go in and start messing with it," said Hardy. "That's an easy decision to make."

"I know I'm approaching the end of my career. I've got to weigh whether it's worth me taking the risk and getting the surgery to have a couple more fights I might not enjoy being a part of anyway."

"They are not options for me. They are options for the UFC and whether they want to take a risk and whether, in fact, they see me as a risk. Everyone's seen my fights. I never make an easy night of it. It's always a scrap. I've been in the trenches, and I've never had any problems.

"I don't see any reason why they wouldn't use me, but, obviously, the decision is out of my hands."

Read entire article...

4/2/13 12:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
I welch on SN bets
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WOLF HEART!
4/2/13 12:02 PM
MasterofMartialArts
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's having heart palpitations and he still wants to fight? It's sad to hear him say that his career is on the decline after hearing him talk about being "rejuvenated". Phone Post 3.0
4/2/13 12:06 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings

He's done.  Not a chance UFC would use him in a foreign event when no US comission will license him.

4/2/13 12:06 PM
TheHaunted2

MasterofMartialArts - He's having heart palpitations and he still wants to fight? It's sad to hear him say that his career is on the decline after hearing him talk about being "rejuvenated". Phone Post 3.0
It says he's symptom free. Phone Post
4/2/13 12:07 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MasterofMartialArts - He's having heart palpitations and he still wants to fight? It's sad to hear him say that his career is on the decline after hearing him talk about being "rejuvenated". Phone Post 3.0

No he doesn't.  He is asymptomatic, meaning he has no symptoms.

4/2/13 12:08 PM
Hikikomori
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tough break for the lad but at least he's alive. He will always be known as a UFC veteran and that's awesome. Phone Post
4/2/13 12:09 PM
JOB
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I met Dan Hardy about 10 years ago after a Cage Warriors event. He came across as cocky, and a dickhead. But in recent years he's really matured, and he's grown on me. Seems like a likable guy now. I enjoy his fights. I hope he has many more.
4/2/13 12:13 PM
UGCTT croy_00
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOB - I met Dan Hardy about 10 years ago after a Cage Warriors event. He came across as cocky, and a dickhead. But in recent years he's really matured, and he's grown on me. Seems like a likable guy now. I enjoy his fights. I hope he has many more.

The worst part is I feel like we are just getting to know the mature Hardy. With that said, if he does have to hang them up, I hope a camp picks him up as a coach as I doubt he has made enough money to retire at such a young age and never have to worry about money. I could be wrong though, and I hope I am.
4/2/13 12:36 PM
Sajite
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't get it

He has a highly incremented risk of sudden death. He's been diagnosed, there's a treatment (an not very complicated one) and he doesn't want to have it??

Am I missing something?...

he might be asymptomatic but that means nothing. If nerve conduction is wrong symptoms mean shit.

Do the treatment Dan
4/2/13 12:41 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sajite - I don't get it

He has a highly incremented risk of sudden death. He's been diagnosed, there's a treatment (an not very complicated one) and he doesn't want to have it??

Am I missing something?...

he might be asymptomatic but that means nothing. If nerve conduction is wrong symptoms mean shit.

Do the treatment Dan

From what I read, people who are asymptomatic have like a 0.6% chance of sudden heart attack. I'm not sure how that compares to normal people.

Also, there seems to be two different schools of thought on operating on asymptomatic people. One side wants to operate on anyone who is under 35 who has a "wolf heart", while the other side says if they aren't showing any symptoms than there is no point going through the risk of surgery

It's a pretty interesting topic.. I wish I knew more about biology so I could understand it better.

4/2/13 12:44 PM
TheHebrewHammer
470 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he hangs the gloves I am a sad fan. But, ultimately it's probably a wise decision and he leaves with a nice 2 win streak Phone Post
4/2/13 12:46 PM
Anderson P. Sonnen
712 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always a pleasure to hear speak/watch fight. Whatever happens, I'll always be rooting for him. I wish Dan the best of luck with whatever he ends up doing. Phone Post
4/2/13 1:03 PM
Tweener

"...to bar Hardy from fighting Matt Brown at UFC on FOX 7 on April 2".

There's a UFC event on tonight?

4/2/13 1:04 PM
Leghound
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, hate to hear that.  Guy seems like he's really getting his head together and have really enjoyed getting to know the more mature and complex side of Dan.  If he hangs them up I hope he's involved in MMA in some way still as his attitude and previously unseen depth of character could be an asset to a gym or the UFC in a non-fighting role - though it sounds like he's ready to move on.

4/2/13 2:08 PM
Bentleysuper8

Edited: 04/02/13 2:09 PM
I had this exact issue. Starting in high school, sometimes when doing extremely intense exercise my heart rate would go off the scale. Sometimes I'd wake up the day after judo feeling like I had run a marathon with my heart still beating a million miles an hour. It would run at 180 and not stop usually until I went to the hospital and got a shot of verapamil. I took degoxin for a long time but It finally got so annoying I decided to risk the surgery, which sounded terrifying.

The surgery to correct this is called a catheter ablation and they keep you awake to do it. They insert a catheter into your carotid artery in your neck and one in the femoral vein in your leg. The catheters meet at your heart and they sort of fry the nerve area that causes problems. No big deal. Super easy day surgery. In and out.

Super simple procedure and I've been issue free for over 20 years. So do it Hardy. 20 years later technology is probably 10 times as good.
4/2/13 2:16 PM
GarlicSauce

Edited: 04/02/13 2:18 PM
Sad.
4/2/13 2:20 PM
player101
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bentleysuper8 - I had this exact issue. Starting in high school, sometimes when doing extremely intense exercise my heart rate would go off the scale. Sometimes I'd wake up the day after judo feeling like I had run a marathon with my heart still beating a million miles an hour. It would run at 180 and not stop usually until I went to the hospital and got a shot of verapamil. I took degoxin for a long time but It finally got so annoying I decided to risk the surgery, which sounded terrifying.

The surgery to correct this is called a catheter ablation and they keep you awake to do it. They insert a catheter into your carotid artery in your neck and one in the femoral vein in your leg. The catheters meet at your heart and they sort of fry the nerve area that causes problems. No big deal. Super easy day surgery. In and out.

Super simple procedure and I've been issue free for over 20 years. So do it Hardy. 20 years later technology is probably 10 times as good.

Ablation is not always effective and can have negative outcomes. It completely depends on the specific individual and symptoms.
4/2/13 2:22 PM
PeaceThroughStrength

I'm not a fan of Dan hardy,and the way he judges other people's life styles.
But I don't like to hear about anyone being diagnosed with any serious medical condition. Hopefully it doesn't end his career.
4/2/13 2:22 PM
Chulio
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My Dad had the procedure and it was very quick with no problems. You need good insurance though because it is not cheap. I hope that is not part of his decision making process
4/2/13 2:27 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
Chulio - My Dad had the procedure and it was very quick with no problems. You need good insurance though because it is not cheap. I hope that is not part of his decision making process

I thought UK had socialized medicine...

4/2/13 2:28 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL

Bentleysuper8 - I had this exact issue. Starting in high school, sometimes when doing extremely intense exercise my heart rate would go off the scale. Sometimes I'd wake up the day after judo feeling like I had run a marathon with my heart still beating a million miles an hour. It would run at 180 and not stop usually until I went to the hospital and got a shot of verapamil. I took degoxin for a long time but It finally got so annoying I decided to risk the surgery, which sounded terrifying.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Would you have done the surgery if you had zero symptoms of the condition, though? If a doctor just one day said "we discovered you have this condition, and we would like to perform a procedure on your heart". Would you do it even if it had no impact on your life to date?

4/2/13 2:35 PM
Bentleysuper8

Edited: 04/02/13 2:36 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL - 

Would you have done the surgery if you had zero symptoms of the condition, though? If a doctor just one day said "we discovered you have this condition, and we would like to perform a procedure on your heart". Would you do it even if it had no impact on your life to date?

I would if it prevented me from competing in judo (at the time), and judo doesn't even pay. I'm sure Hardy loves fighting AND he gets a shit ton of money for it. I love judo and have been doing it for over 35 years. ZERO CASH!. If a doctor told me I had to stop I'd get the surgery the same day.

PS I'm Canadian and the procedure was free. In fact the doctors seemed stoked to be able to work on a young fit athlete. Hardy is in the UK so it's probably covered there as well.
4/2/13 2:39 PM
player101
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bentleysuper8 - 
UGCTT_EnderTL - 

I would if it prevented me from competing in judo (at the time), and judo doesn't even pay. I'm sure Hardy loves fighting AND he gets a shit ton of money for it. I love judo and have been doing it for over 35 years. ZERO CASH!. If a doctor told me I had to stop I'd get the surgery the same day.

PS I'm Canadian and the procedure was free. In fact the doctors seemed stoked to be able to work on a young fit athlete. Hardy is in the UK so it's probably covered there as well.

What if they also told you that there is a possibility that after the ablation your heart function could go down 30% and/or require a pacemaker. Also, your condition remains unchanged.
4/2/13 3:08 PM
Bentleysuper8

They told me all sorts of crazy shit. Death also being amongst the possible outcomes. I wish I had a list of the possible complications they gave me. It was terrifying. That's why I lived with the condition for around 10 years while taking digoxin to try and limit the episodes. I finally had enough and thought what the hell. Let's just go for it. I should have done it sooner.

The breaking point for me was when I had an episode while rock climbing in Japan. Having to go to the hospital in Niigata and explain to them what the hell was wrong with me and exactly what kind of drug they needed to inject me with. When I got back home I said let's fucking do it.

If I never had an episode I might have a different opinion but it's being told I would not be able to do something that would motivate me. For example, if today a doctor told me I could never downhill mountain bike again, I'd be on the table tomorrow. Risks be damned. You can't live in fear.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.