UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hardy passes on surgery, future in UFC's hands

4/2/13 3:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Darth Ryase
1330 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOB - I met Dan Hardy about 10 years ago after a Cage Warriors event. He came across as cocky, and a dickhead. But in recent years he's really matured, and he's grown on me. Seems like a likable guy now. I enjoy his fights. I hope he has many more.

You think it was part of the gimmick or was he really like that? I think he's a great guy, even if he is a little cocky at times.

4/2/13 4:29 PM
TheHaunted2
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herring In A Fur Coat -
Chulio - My Dad had the procedure and it was very quick with no problems. You need good insurance though because it is not cheap. I hope that is not part of his decision making process

I thought UK had socialized medicine...

He could get it on nhs but because he has no symptoms he would probably be on the waiting list for a while Phone Post
4/2/13 4:33 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bentleysuper8 - 
UGCTT_EnderTL - 
Bentleysuper8 - I had this exact issue. Starting in high school, sometimes when doing extremely intense exercise my heart rate would go off the scale. Sometimes I'd wake up the day after judo feeling like I had run a marathon with my heart still beating a million miles an hour. It would run at 180 and not stop usually until I went to the hospital and got a shot of verapamil. I took degoxin for a long time but It finally got so annoying I decided to risk the surgery, which sounded terrifying.

The surgery to correct this is called a catheter ablation and they keep you awake to do it. They insert a catheter into your carotid artery in your neck and one in the femoral vein in your leg. The catheters meet at your heart and they sort of fry the nerve area that causes problems. No big deal. Super easy day surgery. In and out.

Super simple procedure and I've been issue free for over 20 years. So do it Hardy. 20 years later technology is probably 10 times as good.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Would you have done the surgery if you had zero symptoms of the condition, though? If a doctor just one day said "we discovered you have this condition, and we would like to perform a procedure on your heart". Would you do it even if it had no impact on your life to date?

I would if it prevented me from competing in judo (at the time), and judo doesn't even pay. I'm sure Hardy loves fighting AND he gets a shit ton of money for it. I love judo and have been doing it for over 35 years. ZERO CASH!. If a doctor told me I had to stop I'd get the surgery the same day.

PS I'm Canadian and the procedure was free. In fact the doctors seemed stoked to be able to work on a young fit athlete. Hardy is in the UK so it's probably covered there as well.

Thanks for the perspective.

4/2/13 5:30 PM
Kentpaul
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If that was his last time fighting as a fan i have enjoyed watching him compete, but he is a very smart man so i doubt he will have much trouble finding a good job outside of fighting unllike a lot of fighters IMO.
4/2/13 6:33 PM
jimbonice

My wife had an ablation. As said before, it's day surgery. If Hardy wants to compete, he'd be foolish not to do it. Phone Post
4/2/13 7:03 PM
InspiritMick

Edited: 04/02/13 7:03 PM
Darth Ryase - 
JOB - I met Dan Hardy about 10 years ago after a Cage Warriors event. He came across as cocky, and a dickhead. But in recent years he's really matured, and he's grown on me. Seems like a likable guy now. I enjoy his fights. I hope he has many more.

You think it was part of the gimmick or was he really like that? I think he's a great guy, even if he is a little cocky at times.

People, learn grow, mature, aquire knowledge and change. For some reason the vast majority of humans refuse to recognise that potential in other people.

4/3/13 1:14 AM
MasterofMartialArts
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_EnderTL -
MasterofMartialArts - He's having heart palpitations and he still wants to fight? It's sad to hear him say that his career is on the decline after hearing him talk about being "rejuvenated". Phone Post 3.0

No he doesn't.  He is asymptomatic, meaning he has no symptoms.

I don't think that matters. His heart is not effectively pumping like it should so his vital organs aren't getting the nutrients they need because of this and he can have a heart attack. It also restricts blood flow, there's no way he shouldn't do the treatments. He obviously has made his choice, was just stating facts. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/13 1:47 AM
I welch on SN bets

WOW, Bently. Thank you.

I was diagnosed w/ WPW sydrome when I was 12 (23 years ago). They said I would never feel the effects, yet mentioned that ".06%" chance still existed, and sudden death was not out of the question. They did some tests and said no surgery was needed.

I always thought that if WPW acted up the chance of death was nearly 100%. I had no idea you could just go about life have episodes and not die. Also, I have always figured it would happen someday regardless of what the doctors had said.

While all cases must be very different, you have given me a sigh of relief knowing an episode doesn't always end in sudden death. However, that ".06% chance" for benign cases seems like such an unrealistic number for any one human. Seems like each individual should be given their own personal "Chance" of attack.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.