UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> If Anderson loses does he lose his relevence

4/2/13 7:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
joshirvine718
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Weidman Can take him down and control him or knock him out, Does he fall into a Fedor category near the end? I think it would take a devastating loss but I can see it happen.
4/2/13 7:55 PM
noisebully

i can see it happening short term. but over time people will look back and realize the superiorness and awesomeness that of anderson. we won't see someone like him for a long long time.

he's gonna have to lose at some point as he's getting older. it will all just come down to how many "big name fighters" he's beaten before it happens since that is what most people argue is what doesn't make him goat.

4/2/13 7:56 PM
UGCTT_CloudStrife
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is nothing wrong with the Fedor category.  Just because of a bunch of idiots on the forums try to use his loses at the end of his career to diminish his accoplishments, they take nothing away from the career and legacy that the man had.  If/when Anderson finally loses in the UFC he will still be remembered as the most dominate middle weight of all time and still be considered the GOAT by many. Again, there will be idiots on these forums but nobody that actually matters will feel that way.

4/2/13 7:57 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

joshirvine718 - If Weidman Can take him down and control him or knock him out, Does he fall into a Fedor category near the end? I think it would take a devastating loss but I can see it happen.
Your statement implies that a "fedor category" is a bad thing....kinda weird given that fedor is one of the baddest men to ever walk the planet. Phone Post
4/2/13 7:59 PM
joshirvine718

noisebully - 

i can see it happening short term. but over time people will look back and realize the superiorness and awesomeness that of anderson. we won't see someone like him for a long long time.

he's gonna have to lose at some point as he's getting older. it will all just come down to how many "big name fighters" he's beaten before it happens since that is what most people argue is what doesn't make him goat.

I agree and hope that is the case
4/2/13 8:03 PM
Nonlinear

If GSP/AS doesn't happen they should both retire after their next fights.  Either that or they should fight and both retire after.

4/2/13 8:05 PM
mose
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

depends if he wants to Roy Jones Jr.'s himself.

Anderson is the greatest fighter in MMA history, but his story will come to an end sooner rather than later. It all depends on how he chooses to go out.

In my perfect little scenario, he beats Weidman, then beats GSP, then passes the torch to Jon Jones and goes off into retirement.

4/2/13 8:08 PM
joshirvine718

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 
joshirvine718 - If Weidman Can take him down and control him or knock him out, Does he fall into a Fedor category near the end? I think it would take a devastating loss but I can see it happen.
Your statement implies that a "fedor category" is a bad thing....kinda weird given that fedor is one of the baddest men to ever walk the planet. Phone Post

I guess worded it shitty. that isn't an irrelevant category to me but it seems like as soon as a dominant figure loses, they get shoved in this weird place where losing near the end makes the rest of there career not important. I think its total bullshit, when someone really amazing gets stopped like Miguel Torres, Fedor, and now its happening with Manny Pacquiáo. I really think we still need to focus when they were at there peak.
4/2/13 8:11 PM
drrilll
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most fighters are retired at Anderson's age. I think his legacy is established at this point. It only remains to be seen how much he will add to it.
4/2/13 8:15 PM
Kanabull
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Loses his relevance? No. He provided fans with some of the most entertaining fights ever. They will be there to watch for hundreds of years.

There will however be a tsunami of geniuses with "I told you so" arguments immediately after he loses.

Especially if/when Jon Jones crushes Chael like a bug. Haters will be out in force searching Wikipedia and using MMAth to discredit everyone Anderson has ever fought.

So yes he does fall into the "Fedor category", if the "Fedor category" means having a bunch of gutless contrarians follow you your whole career and then pounce when you turn 40 years old.
4/2/13 8:18 PM
joshirvine718

Kanabull - Loses his relevance? No. He provided fans with some of the most entertaining fights ever. They will be there to watch for hundreds of years.

There will however be a tsunami of geniuses with "I told you so" arguments immediately after he loses.

Especially if/when Jon Jones crushes Chael like a bug. Haters will be out in force searching Wikipedia and using MMAth to discredit everyone Anderson has ever fought.

So yes he does fall into the "Fedor category", if the "Fedor category" means having a bunch of gutless contrarians follow you your whole career and then pounce when you turn 40 years old.

Dude you just summed up a lot of assholes.
4/2/13 8:18 PM
Cask Strength
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is what happens when 11'rs are allowed to post. There was a time when we could have nice things.
4/2/13 8:42 PM
DWray
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SaintVon Barksdale - 
noisebully - 

We've already got someone who's shaping up to be at least an equal of Anderson Silva in domination. Love him or hate him, Jon Jones has beat the best of the best at 205, and never once looked to be in trouble. Ever. No one has made Jon Jones look human since he has won the title.

I agree entirely, but Vitor did have him in a bit of trouble.
4/2/13 8:47 PM
shrekk

Edited: 04/02/13 8:50 PM
Arguably the best champion in MMA, the best UFC champion ever, 1 loss does nothing to his legacy, it's more than obvious that sportsmen can't keep it up forever and that their bodies are getting slower and weaker and the competition gets stronger, win or lose, Anderson stays one the Greatest of all times, alongside the ranks of Fedor and such.

EDIT: No matter how good Jones and fighters to come are and will be, the accomplishments that Anderson did and may do ahead will not be tarnished, i'm not a big fan of his attitude or demeanor, but i'm being just honest.
4/2/13 8:50 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He could lose his next five fights in a row and retire after getting knocked out and he would still be among the greatest fighters of all time in my eyes.

4/2/13 10:42 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ando could die in the ring fighting meisha tate, and he would still be beyond legend

nothing can erase all of his brilliant wins

4/2/13 10:53 PM
UGSlapshot

DanGold - It's easier to hate and be a dick than to appreciate greatness, so Anderson will immediately go from GOAT to can crusher overnight.

That's why I'd rather he just retire now.
Well he deserves his clout even if he has done his share of recycling its not like he didn't fight the cream of the crop as well.

Fedor fought way more cans than Anderson has and for the most part he's kept the prestige he gained. Phone Post
4/3/13 3:23 AM
noisebully

SaintVon Barksdale - 
noisebully - 

We've already got someone who's shaping up to be at least an equal of Anderson Silva in domination. Love him or hate him, Jon Jones has beat the best of the best at 205, and never once looked to be in trouble. Ever. No one has made Jon Jones look human since he has won the title.

i don't agree that jones is equal of anderson silva in domination. of course he's dominated and pretty much cleaned out what was thought to be a tough division in just a few years. but the way anderson wins is in my mind what makes him superior. it's one of those things when you just know he's gonna finnish the fight as soon as he drops his hands and starts doin his thing. all he needs is an opening and it's over.

but yeah not lookin to turn this into a anderson vs jones thread, just thought i'd explain why i think andersons domniance is not threatened by someone like jones but with jones still looking to become one of the goats.

4/3/13 7:09 PM
joshirvine718

noisebully - 
SaintVon Barksdale - 
noisebully - 

i don't agree that jones is equal of anderson silva in domination. of course he's dominated and pretty much cleaned out what was thought to be a tough division in just a few years. but the way anderson wins is in my mind what makes him superior. it's one of those things when you just know he's gonna finnish the fight as soon as he drops his hands and starts doin his thing. all he needs is an opening and it's over.

but yeah not lookin to turn this into a anderson vs jones thread, just thought i'd explain why i think andersons domniance is not threatened by someone like jones but with jones still looking to become one of the goats.

Its a valid point though if someone can come along and be more spectacular and more entertaining it takes light away from the last guy. remember Rich Franklin or Leben before Anderson came Along? They seemed so incredible but when you know there is a guy they can probably never beat it changes there image.
4/4/13 2:02 AM
joshirvine718

ranier wolfcastle - 

ando could die in the ring fighting meisha tate, and he would still be beyond legend

nothing can erase all of his brilliant wins

that's hilarious but I disagree
4/4/13 2:18 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/04/13 2:18 AM
The middle fingers of NickDiaz - Anderson Silva will be forever known as the GOAT, just like Ali is today for boxing.

A better champion than GSP/JBJ and he will always have the best Highlight Reel ALWAYS

This sport isn't even 20 years old. You can't possibly claim as fact that Anderson will always be considered the GOAT.

Plus, I think Jones is well on his way his way to surpassing Anderson. He's faaaaaarrr better than Anderson was at the same age, and he's only gonna get better.

4/4/13 2:47 AM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

Not attacking the OP but this whole idea that a DOMINANT champion losing a fight overshadows the achievements he's made and things he's done in his prime is simply ludicrous.

And i don't only mean Ando.

Ppl get old and ppl make mistakes. Phone Post 3.0
4/4/13 3:50 AM
Foob
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes. People will talk about how he never beat someone good, the middleweight division was always a bad one, just like they are talking about Fedor now. Of course his opponents look bad now in retrospective, but at the time they were all legit, there were no other contenders at that time. MMA fans have very short memory

4/4/13 3:57 AM
GarlicSauce

Yes.

Look what happened to Fedor: from revered, unbeatable, undefeated MMA deity to hasbeen who got finished 3 times in a row.

MMA is a young man's sport, that's why maturity and intelligence aren't part of how fighters are evaluated.
4/4/13 3:58 AM
DRevan
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 
The middle fingers of NickDiaz - Anderson Silva will be forever known as the GOAT, just like Ali is today for boxing.

A better champion than GSP/JBJ and he will always have the best Highlight Reel ALWAYS

This sport isn't even 20 years old. You can't possibly claim as fact that Anderson will always be considered the GOAT.

Plus, I think Jones is well on his way his way to surpassing Anderson. He's faaaaaarrr better than Anderson was at the same age, and he's only gonna get better.

Athletically? Sheer genetic dominance? Sure. Jones, or someone else, may eclipse him.

BUT...Silva is not the "GOAT" because he is the greatest athlete. Silva is not the "GOAT" because his records will never fall; his numbers never diminish. Anderson Silva will remain "GOAT" because he has the soul of an artist, and the enduring heart of a human spirit that refuses to quit. When Silva fights, he transcends what we believe to be possible, and yet HE knows he is a man.

Jones..and those to come. I don't know that we'll ever be able to say that again. At least not for a while..a looong while. And even then. Silva will be the fabled..GOAT.

(end "inebriated rant poem")

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.