UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Former Delta Force Solider on Fitness

4/2/13 8:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
oblongo
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ed Burgarin was one of the creators of the upper body round robin, a fitness test increasingly used by U.S. Armey special operations, and of the STREND challenge.

Here are some excerpts from a recent interview.

Still Rucking at 63 – An Interview with Former Delta Force Operator Ed Bugarin

by The ITS Crew on March 21, 2013

ITS Tactical: What are your thoughts regarding ruck weight, distance and pace for everyone from beginners to seasoned athletes?

Ed Bugarin: I was already conditioned to ruck runs but if you’re not, here’s my recommendation. First step is to learn correct movement techniques (POSE walk/running). Once you get that down, or as you begin to learn correct movement, start with a weight that allows you to maintain the correct stance/position for walking/running.

Slowly adding weight enables the body to adapt to the stress and allows the skin to take the abrasion of the points where the ruck and straps rub against the body. As with running, start at a short distance based on what you’re used to and gradually increase the distance. As with any exercise program, allow the body to slowly adapt to the stress of what you’re doing. This minimizes the chance of injury; train smart.

You could add the exact weight you will be using for the ruck run, but I think you’ll get negative results because if you’re not used to carrying a heavy ruck, you’ll immediately hate it. If you hate something, you’re less likely to do it.

ITS: You’d stated that you’re still doing weighted ruck runs these days (at age 63). What paces are you hitting on these rucks?

Ed: I turned 63 on January 9, 2013, not too long ago. At ASPOC (Assessment & Selection Preparatory Orientation Course) where I’m currently an instructor, I did the following with the students carrying a 45 lb ruck. That’s not including water, radios and other items that I was required to carry.

4 mile ruck run (temperature 32 degrees) = 39:29 (9:52 minutes per mile). One week later we did a 6 mile ruck run (37 degrees) = 55:11 (9 minutes 5 seconds per mile). Five days later we did a 10 mile ruck run (64 degrees) = 1:47:18 (10 minutes 43 seconds per mile).

I overdressed for the 10 miler. Notice how the temperature played a part in my performance? In the last course, I finished the 10 mile ruck run in 1:42:00.

ITS: Is there a maximum weight at which you would recommend not trying to run or jog?

Ed: Carrying a ruck is a funny thing. I weigh a little over 155 lb. When carrying a 45 lb. ruck, plus a few additional items, I’m looking at carrying almost 1/3 my body weight. A person that weighs 185 carries the same weight, the percentage of weight he/she is carrying is less. I currently have a student that weighs 128 lb. in the course. His ruck, like every students’, weighs over 50 lbs. with additional items. We weight rucks dry which means without water or food. Add a 7 lb. rifle and this kid is carrying almost half his body weight. There are other students on my team that weigh from 175-200 lb. The percentage that they are carrying are much less. This 128 lb. student always comes in last. He finished the 10 mile ruck run in 2:27:30. He still met the ASPOC goal of being able to move at a 15 minutes per mile pace or faster. So when it comes to ruck runs, is there a fairness about it?

To compare what I’ve just mentioned, I weigh a little over 155 lb. I am carrying the same weight minus the rifle. I beat 23 of 25 students on my team every time. I’m over twice the age of my students. Average age is around 24. Having the experience of running with a ruck, the fitness level and good technique helps me go faster than most. My fastest student finished the 4 and 6 mile ruck runs at an 8 minute 8 second pace per mile, faster than most people can run the same distance without carrying a ruck. He finished the 10 miler in 1:36:15 finishing first for the students. Only one person beat him and that was a veteran instructor who is about 48 years old.

ITS: Would you be able to take us through a couple of different weeks of your current training to get an idea as to how much you are still getting after it?

Ed: My current weekly workouts consist of running about 35-50 miles a week (always focusing on good technique). I also do a weight program which I created called SHIFT (STREND High Intensity Fitness Training). It’s a workout that’s designed to be completed in 30 minutes or less. I do it 3 times a week, usually Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. There is a one day rest between workouts. I usually run or swim before or after the workouts. I also kayak, swim as already mentioned and ride a bike. Runs consist of road and trails. I enter races up to marathon distances.

I do ruck runs to keep my body conditioned because of my work at ASPOC. Cadre who work at ASPOC arrive a week before the students. We do a 4 mile run for time with the goal of a sub 8 minutes per mile pace. This course I did the 4 mile run in 28 minutes 3 seconds. The next day we do a 4 mile ruck run with a goal of 13 minutes per mile pace or faster. Two days later we do a 6 mile run for time , sub 8 minute miles. The following day we do the 6 mile ruck run with a goal of 13 minutes per mile pace. In between these runs we do other activities like learning and performing exercises that will be taught to the students. Exercises include forward planks (1 min), side planks (30 seconds), push-ups, burpees and an assortment of other calisthenics. We also do calisthenics using the 45 lb. rucksack. It’s quite a crash course for the cadre.

Three courses are run every year and this is my third year. Sometimes we get new cadre that think that they can get in shape while they are here. These guys get a rude awakening right away. I actually get out of shape when I get there because the activity level isn’t as much as what I do when at home.

More here:

http://www.itstactical.com/centcom/interviews/still-rucking-at-63-an-interview-with-former-delta-force-operator-ed-bugarin/
4/2/13 10:15 PM
BEEF & CHEESE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely a stud. LOL at him getting a dig in at SEALs.
4/2/13 10:15 PM
BEEF & CHEESE

Edited: 04/02/13 10:16 PM
Fook
4/2/13 10:57 PM
turducken

ttt
4/3/13 12:03 AM
Elwoood
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome article, thanks for sharing! Phone Post
4/3/13 3:04 PM
jrrrrr
369 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great article, thank you...
funny comment on SEALs with the guys who took at BL being on 60 minutes and magazines...

At 63, he's rucking at speeds most people run at...damm..
4/13/13 7:00 PM
fanat

Sub Phone Post
4/14/13 8:07 AM
Adventure Runner
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool article.  I think the key is to ease into it slowly.  I do a bunch of ruck oriented events and run with a ruck fairly often.  When I'm specifically training to ruck, my mile pace is only 30-60 seconds slower with a 40-50lbs ruck depending on the distance.  I agree 100% with learning POSE prior to getting into it.  Even when I ruck ran prior to getting into POSE for regular running, my body naturally fell into short, choppy, high cadence steps similar to POSE technique.  It'd help a lot to learn it and condition your body to it prior to putting on the ruck.

4/16/13 12:31 PM
Daredevil73
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/16/13 12:31 PM
His dig at SEALs is even more amusing if you take into account the fact that Bugarin was on that show, "Combat Missions" some years back, which was denounced by SOCOM.
4/16/13 5:49 PM
sly fox
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

very interesting article... thanks for sharing vtfu

5/9/13 3:21 PM
Tommy Gunnz
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 7:17 AM
Adventure Runner
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Evolution running - run faster with fewer injuries from guisalgado on Vimeo.

For anybody interested in a POSE video, this is Evolution Running, which is the same thing.

5/10/13 8:22 AM
comeacrossclean
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^thx

sub in
5/14/13 1:02 PM
WhiteDynamite
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
5/16/13 1:00 AM
ShakaFerreira
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WhiteDynamite - In Phone Post
. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.