UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Can you workout every day?

4/3/13 3:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
weepingbeaver
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Basically, I hate running, but love being in the gym so I use weight training primarily to keep fit. Also throw in some rowing and the bike each session but only 20 minutes.

Is there anything wrong with training pretty much every day as long as I'm not pushing it too hard? My goals are simple at 34, keep weight off and enjoy exercising. Not looking to build massive gains of strength or size.

I find that on rest days I struggle with my diet, but feel more motivated on gym days. Phone Post
4/3/13 5:33 AM
weepingbeaver

Jesus KO'd stayrad - I used to weight train 5 days a week, with 20-30 mins cardio at the end and on my other two days I'd maybe go for a bike ride or do some cardio in the morning.

I started a 5/3/1 program last month and now only 4 days a week I'm in gym and hardly do any cardio, I'm better now. Your body needs its rest Phone Post 3.0
Thanks for advice. Can I ask - were you still feeling healthy and strong when you trained five days a week? Phone Post 3.0
4/3/13 5:34 AM
weepingbeaver

Any can anyone share a link with how I can start a 5/3/1 programme? Phone Post 3.0
4/3/13 6:18 AM
fuzzislipperz
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can, as long as you eat and rest accordingly. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/13 9:43 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.strstd.com/

and try T-nations for 531 program.

or you can get the book from.

http://www.jimwendler.com
4/3/13 9:45 AM
weepingbeaver

JamesDean57 - http://www.strstd.com/

and try T-nations for 531 program.

or you can get the book from.

http://www.jimwendler.com
Thank you. Votes up. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/13 9:49 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For got to add my advice would be to buy the book, I think it's worth every penny.
4/3/13 11:40 AM
Taku
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It depends on what you consider working out. I do some easy movement stuff every day. But as far as challenging workouts, I also feel one must recover.

TAKU

4/3/13 12:58 PM
NeoSpartan
555 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku - 

It depends on what you consider working out. I do some easy movement stuff every day. But as far as challenging workouts, I also feel one must recover.

TAKU

This^

It depends on a lot. Even if you take the bulgarian approach you're not going to be going 100% everyday. At some point something has to give, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't do ANYTHING.

Your body can adapt to a lot though and I think most people don't push themselves nearly as hard as they can. Probably because it's not their JOB.

You ever live out in the country? Not necessarily on a farm but you're going to do something EVERYDAY. Walking, Running, carrying shit, etc

Western (well, modern) society is pretty sedentary though. If you sit down all day for work then you probably just need better nutrition and you can handle training everyday.
4/3/13 1:10 PM
weepingbeaver

Thanks for the advice all. May keep going to the gym, but varying the intensity of the workouts so that I am active without breaking myself in half. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/13 2:55 PM
WillD
354 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How about how often should one lift weights?

I've been working on the 5x5 program and feel like I could go 2 days on and 1 day off rather 3 days a week every other day. I could squat lighter a few days a week but I feel like my body could handle that. I do sit at a desk all day so my body is mostly inactive.

Would anyone advise against this?
4/3/13 8:04 PM
NeoSpartan
555 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Which 5x5 program? There's a reason why they have those days spaced out. Don't fuck with your current program design too much.

When I was adding extra sessions the first thing I would do is just show up and stretch. Then stretch with some static yoga type poses. Then stretch lightly do some calisthenics. Then my full warmup. Then full warmup + bodyweight stuff. Barely enough to break a sweat. Then I start adding more and more (sled drags, or sprints, squats with just the bar) till I eventually work up to a full workout. And even then you're not going balls to the wall every time.

4/3/13 9:03 PM
WillD
354 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn! Phone Post 3.0
4/4/13 4:30 PM
Wiggy
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NeoSpartan - 
Taku - 

TAKU

This^

It depends on a lot. Even if you take the bulgarian approach you're not going to be going 100% everyday. At some point something has to give, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't do ANYTHING.

Your body can adapt to a lot though and I think most people don't push themselves nearly as hard as they can. Probably because it's not their JOB.

You ever live out in the country? Not necessarily on a farm but you're going to do something EVERYDAY. Walking, Running, carrying shit, etc

Western (well, modern) society is pretty sedentary though. If you sit down all day for work then you probably just need better nutrition and you can handle training everyday.

Pretty much what they said.

Ultimately, it all depends on your current level of capability compared to the activity you're looking to do every day.  The more intensely (i.e. - in comparison to your maximum capability in a given activity) you train, the more it'll affect the CNS and the more you'll need to rest.  The more volume you do per workout, the fewer workouts you can do during the week.  

At the same time, your current capabilities will make a big difference.  You might only be able to Bench 95 lbs. for 3 sets of 5 reps.  But even if that's pushing the levels of your capabilities, you're gonna be able to work out again sooner than the guy that can bench 365 for 3 sets of 5 reps.  Even though he's (obviously) stronger, has more work capacity, and so on, 365x3x5 will simply take longer to recover from than 95x3x5.

I agree with Neo in that most people can train more than they think they can.  The key is that you have to actually fucking want to and know that you can't do it right away.  Going from being primarily sedentary to trying to bust ass all day long will KTFO you in a few weeks.  But getting up to that point over the course of a longer period (say 6-8 months) is something different.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com/newsletter

4/4/13 6:17 PM
NeoSpartan

speaking of Black Iron Beast I've used that shit so much I think I'm going to donate
4/5/13 11:42 AM
Taku

All the current research that I have been exploring points to strength training about two days per week (or no more than every 72 hours or so) is optimal for most folks who have moved beyond the beginner stage. More is not better. And, the stronger you are, the more recovery you tend to need.

TAKU

4/5/13 1:29 PM
weepingbeaver

Just finished training for the fourth day in a row. Sessions focus on 20 minutes of cardio, followed by 30 minutes of weights balanced across all body parts. Recommended by TAKU in another post.

Definitely resting tomorrow. Enjoy training and glad to get some momentum in the gym again, but started to hurt towards the end of today. Time for rest and golf tomorrow. Phone Post 3.0
4/5/13 11:28 PM
Bry Bry

Taku-strength training no more than twice a week?thats surprising to me as i used to train it 5-6 times a week...low reps with compound movements and i notice myself feeling fatigued and 'worn out' more than i should be..impossible to attribute it to a specific problem though..
4/6/13 8:05 AM
HULC
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A hard workout every day is too much, but if you're just breaking a sweat and keeping it light then every day shouldn't be a problem.
4/6/13 9:10 PM
Bry Bry

tbh its very hard to tell what a 'hard' workout is..i assume a hard workout means where you are close to muscle failure during the sets?if so, im definitely lifting wrong or too much..
4/7/13 4:50 AM
weepingbeaver

I rarely reach complete muscle failure on sets. Like to get to a position where it is tough, but not complete failure. Always terrified of picking up an injury and not being able to train. Prefer to note what I am lifting, then better it each workout by a couple of kilograms or extra reps. Slow and steady progression. Phone Post 3.0
4/7/13 7:43 AM
Shanle929

Yes. I'm at 33 and do workout in some way everyday. Do eat and rest accordingly Phone Post 3.0
4/7/13 1:35 PM
weepingbeaver

Nothing to worry about at the mo. Had a great week of training, followed by a weekend on the ale. Back to business tomorrow. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.