UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ryo: Complainers about Rising Sun flag are idiots

4/3/13 8:09 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1030 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Last month, UFC featherweight Chan Sung Jung, a Korean native, released a statement via Facebook, likening the rising sun image on the gi that UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre walked out in at UFC 158 to the Nazi swastika.

Both GSP and the gi manufacturer Hayabusa offered apologies.

“I'd like to personally apologize to anyone who was offended by this,” said St-Pierre. “I am very sorry, that was never my intention.”

Hayabusa Fightwear president Craig Clement went further, apologizing, and stating the gi would not be brought to market.

Now Japanese fighter Ryo Chonan offers a distinctly unconcilliatory response, via Facebook. Translation by samurailife.net.

“All the people complaining about the Rising Sun flag are idiots," said Chonan. "Learn history! Even though that might be too much for you idiots.

"I don’t care about the comfort women, go make more statues in Korea. Japan is too busy.

"There is a lot of exaggerations and anti-Japanese education in regards to Japanese involvement in World War II.

"Japan actually helped Korea and made it a developed country. Also when Japan was there Korea was not divided between North and South.”

What do you think UG? Cool gi or symbol of evil?

And what do you think about Chonan's being too busy to care about comfort women?

Comfort women were women and girls throughout Japan's occupied territories who were coerced, deceived, lured, and sometimes kidnapped into a prostitution corps created by the Empire of Japan during WWII. Estimates of their numbers range from the tens of thousands to the hundreds of thousands.

4/3/13 8:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mathew10lb
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

some ppl are gonna be all offended. some ppl just dont care. its one of those things that you just leave alone. let it die. make it a non issue. Phone Post
4/3/13 8:24 AM
cool hand Ed
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow Phone Post
4/3/13 8:35 AM
quick
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great example of Japans selective memory when it comes to WWII. I wouldn't call that a very honorable stance.
4/3/13 8:40 AM
Oblivious
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I learn history, you hear me?
4/3/13 8:45 AM
JOESONDO
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm more offended by Chonan's response than the gi Phone Post 3.0
4/3/13 8:56 AM
used2wrestle
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not sure who is right or wrong. Maybe GSP didn't need to apologize because KZ was just being a baby. I felt he was being a baby telling GSP to wake up, it reminds me of the interview years ago where Marcus Davis was saying what Fedor should be doing. On the other hand, I don't know if Chonan is right but I know the Japanese have a history of downplaying their misdeeds when teaching history in their schools and this has been a contentious issue with China. I commend the Germans for not doing this and instead accepting their past misdeeds. The fact that Chonan said who cares about the comfort women is kind of telling though. What can we expect though when the government willfully miseducates their youth? how is this different from North Korea saying Kim Jong Il invented the hamburger?
4/3/13 9:04 AM
Aaron Becker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always thought this whole thing was blown out of proportion by special interests trying to make themselves offended and make this into a bigger deal than what it really is
4/3/13 9:09 AM
In Limbo
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so basically, Ryo Chonan is a UGer

4/3/13 9:14 AM
nostripewhite

The Japanese committed atrocities, but just ignore that because they display budo.

Or not. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/13 9:22 AM
Seats Taken
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ethical, historical, and moral issues aside... Can we all agree that, it's an ugly Gi to begin with? Phone Post 3.0
4/3/13 9:25 AM
Steve4192
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quick - Great example of Japans selective memory when it comes to WWII. I wouldn't call that a very honorable stance.

^ This
4/3/13 9:28 AM
Ray Elbe
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In other news...Mexico called...and can't wait for Cinco De Mayo. Phone Post
4/3/13 9:29 AM
MainelyBJJ
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No diffrent than some inbred redneck defending the rebel flag IMO......

4/3/13 9:34 AM
danggook
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chonan was born and raised in Japan I'm sure he's been brainwashed by the Japanese government into thinking Japan did nothing wrong in ww2 Phone Post
4/3/13 9:36 AM
danggook
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that said a Ryo chonan vs dhk Japan v Korea tug would be awesome Phone Post
4/3/13 9:38 AM
disbeliever
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Pretty sure everyone committed horrible crimes during WW2. It was a very dark time in human history. From Nazi's treatment of jews, to Japan treating Korea, and Americans dropping nuclear bombs on innocent women and children and everything in between.

I am of the mindset that it should be OK to talk about any of those things, much like slavery. They all happened, and you need to own that and move past it.

The world is becoming to PC.
4/3/13 9:38 AM
Steve4192
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MainelyBJJ - 

No diffrent than some inbred redneck defending the rebel flag IMO......

Agreed.

His views on Korea kind of reminded of Marge Schott's rant back in the 80s about how Hitler was 'good in the beginning' due to his development of the Autobahn and stimulation of the German economy through military spending. Yeah Marge. Never mind that Holocaust thing. What was really important was his work on developing roads and creating jobs.
4/3/13 9:41 AM
cantuna4u
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think its a cool GI. I dont think it would look cool if it had a big swastika on the side. Chonan comes off as an ass. Zombie comes off as a sensitive cry baby.
And... GSP bores me and impresses me at the same time with his action suppressing style.

Go with buddah. Phone Post
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

He's proving KZ's point. Lol@ignorant fools that said he was overreacting. People's parents and grandparents were murdered,raped and enslaved by Japanese using this banner and obviously to this Day many Japanese like chonnan are totally unapologetic. Narrow minded people in America brush it off easily because this degree of atrocity has not happened to them unless they are Jews, Armenians etc. Phone Post 3.0
Calibur1980
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hoooooo weeeeee. That was a very dumb thing of Ryo Chonan to say. I know lots of South Koreans and even a couple of North Koreans.

I'm sure some of them literally wanna kill him now. He said the Asian equivalent of "you blacks need to get over it. Slavery made you better." Phone Post
4/3/13 9:44 AM
Aaron Becker

everyone here is so sensitive and take offense to everything
4/3/13 9:45 AM
OG 12er
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a white appearing American, I don't like being associated with the guilt placed on us for slavery. My family had nothing to do with nor did anyone alive right now. I'm sure the current generation of Japanese get tired of being blamed for the atrocities as well. I don't blame Ryo, but he could have said it more tactfully. Phone Post
4/3/13 9:47 AM
MMAAdvertising
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hayabusa wasn't the only company to ever use this imagery. This design is years old and never seen anyone mention it.

4/3/13 9:49 AM
MMAAdvertising
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One More Round Kamikaze Suit as it was titled.

Tokyo Five

True Honor Rising Sun Hoodie

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.