UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sonnen: Jon Jones, beat me...if you can

4/3/13 4:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/03/13 4:26 PM
<blockquote>chaplinshouse - <blockquote>Mark Hunts Pet Monkey - Frankly I don't think he cares if he wins. What does this victory mean to him in the long run if he can retire in a few years with enough money to invest and live happily ever after, just from ticket sales based off his promotional acumen.</blockquote><br /><p>
yeah... beating Bones would mean NOTHING to Chael in the long run.  money > legacy.  great point!</p>
<p>
pfft.  if he wins he'll have plenty of both</p></blockquote><br />Not saying he wouldn't be happy if he won, but I think he is more concerned with increasing his capital. Come on, you can't watch his self-promotional spiel and draw a different conclusion. What, you think he didn't make any money off of Silva fights even though he lost? Chael has long ago figured out how to increase his marketability even if he loses.

Edit:
Oh, and money > legacy in most cases. Look at some of those older broken down fighters who have this legendary legacy, like Coleman or Shamrock. Pretty sure they will have health problems for the rest of their life now. If someone figured out how to get out of the fight game before the damage sets in, and still make a ton money, and if he is not particularly concerned with legacy (Chael for instance) why wouldn't he do it?
4/3/13 4:26 PM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His stuff isn't getting stale.

His reference to "bez" from the english group "happy mondays" would even have dennis miller checking the internet.

4/3/13 4:26 PM
chaplinshouse
730 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/03/13 4:26 PM
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey - 
chaplinshouse - 
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey - Frankly I don't think he cares if he wins. What does this victory mean to him in the long run if he can retire in a few years with enough money to invest and live happily ever after, just from ticket sales based off his promotional acumen.

yeah... beating Bones would mean NOTHING to Chael in the long run.  money > legacy.  great point!

pfft.  if he wins he'll have plenty of both

Not saying he wouldn't be happy if he won, but I think he is more concerned with increasing his capital. Come on, you can't watch his self-promotional spiel and draw a different conclusion. What, you think he didn't make any money off of Silva fights even though he lost? Chael has long ago figured out how to increase his marketability even if he loses.

he's already set for life financially after fighting.  FOX loves him and the UFC will always pay him to be on camera so he doesn't need to figure out how to hustle for future money.  if you listen to his real interviews (like the rogan podcast) he really wants to win.  he's haunted by giving matches away.  he visits sports psychologists to get a mental competitive edge. through all his bs he has a lot of pride as an athlete.  i am 100% that he wants this victory in the worst way

4/3/13 4:29 PM
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chaplinshouse - 
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey - 
chaplinshouse - 
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey - Frankly I don't think he cares if he wins. What does this victory mean to him in the long run if he can retire in a few years with enough money to invest and live happily ever after, just from ticket sales based off his promotional acumen.

yeah... beating Bones would mean NOTHING to Chael in the long run.  money > legacy.  great point!

Not saying he wouldn't be happy if he won, but I think he is more concerned with increasing his capital. Come on, you can't watch his self-promotional spiel and draw a different conclusion. What, you think he didn't make any money off of Silva fights even though he lost? Chael has long ago figured out how to increase his marketability even if he loses.

he's already set for life financially after fighting.  FOX loves him and the UFC will always pay him to be on camera so he doesn't need to figure out how to hustle for future money.  if you listen to his real interviews (like the rogan podcast) he really wants to win.  he's haunted by giving matches away.  he visits sports psychologists to get a mental competitive edge. through all his bs he has a lot of pride as an athlete.  i am 100% that he wants this victory in the worst way

Maybe. I have to wonder if he actually visits all these psychologists or it's just more of his "persona". If he really does, then I guess you are right.
4/3/13 4:33 PM
Bipolar
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I find it shocking that any person still finds this clown even the slightest bit entertaining. His pro wrestling routine aimed at adolescent boys has been used to death 100 times over. I'm embarrassed for this tool ever time he speaks. And you shameless, clueless morons who are STILL amused by his fossilized comedy act represent the strongest argument ever devised against public education.

Dig your Vanilla Ice cassette out of your fanny-pack, turn it up to 11 and moonwalk the fack out of this forum. Please.
4/3/13 4:37 PM
chaplinshouse
730 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Hunts Pet Monkey - 
chaplinshouse - 
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey - 
chaplinshouse - 

Maybe. I have to wonder if he actually visits all these psychologists or it's just more of his "persona". If he really does, then I guess you are right.

rogan asked him about how he suddenly went from a gatekeeper to this contender just like that.  So Chael let him know then about the psychologist to get the competitive edge.  he said he's never admitted that to anyone before and for years kept it a secret because it was such a help to his career that he didn't want his competition doing the same thing.  check it out man it's one of the best podcasts ever u rarely see chael being serious and genuine like that

4/3/13 4:39 PM
Nonlinear

haha he sounds like the poor man's Ric Flair.

4/3/13 4:51 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
810 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bipolar - I find it shocking that any person still finds this clown even the slightest bit entertaining. His pro wrestling routine aimed at adolescent boys has been used to death 100 times over. I'm embarrassed for this tool ever time he speaks. And you shameless, clueless morons who are STILL amused by his fossilized comedy act represent the strongest argument ever devised against public education.

Dig your Vanilla Ice cassette out of your fanny-pack, turn it up to 11 and moonwalk the fack out of this forum. Please.

4/3/13 5:22 PM
Nonlinear

"His pro wrestling routine aimed at adolescent boys has been used to death 100 times over."

True Dat!  Like when Muhammed Ali came up with a similar routine and tricked all those poor racists  to shell out $250 for seats so they could watch him lose.  And then he would win.  What an asshole!

4/3/13 5:23 PM
Nonlinear

It's always good to see pro wrestling haters who don't have a fucking clue about the history of combat sports.

4/3/13 5:32 PM
supremexb

Muhammad Ali could back up his talk, Chael on the other hand is all talk and should never be mentioned in the same breath as Ali.
4/3/13 5:33 PM
Nonlinear

supremexb - Muhammad Ali could back up his talk, Chael on the other hand is all talk and should never be mentioned in the same breath as Ali.

Hi.  Look up.  See it up there?  It's going right over your head.

4/3/13 5:35 PM
JetSetter

Boooooooorrrriiinnnggg Phone Post 3.0
4/3/13 5:42 PM
Nonlinear

Hate on it all you want but pro wrestling has deep connections to combat sports and if it never existed then neither would Ali and neither would Pride FC and neither would a lot of things fight fans hold near and dear to their heart.

4/3/13 5:54 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
810 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nonlinear -

Hate on it all you want but pro wrestling has deep connections to combat sports and if it never existed then neither would Ali and neither would Pride FC and neither would a lot of things fight fans hold near and dear to their heart.

Yup. Sadly too many people here are afraid to admit this or don't know their history.... Phone Post 3.0
4/3/13 5:59 PM
supremexb

Nonlinear - 
supremexb - Muhammad Ali could back up his talk, Chael on the other hand is all talk and should never be mentioned in the same breath as Ali.

Hi.  Look up.  See it up there?  It's going right over your head.

Nothing is going over my head. Chael is a joke and shouldnt be headlining anything, but idiots eat up his schtick and dont care that he's not a championship caliber fighter. Ali talked the talk and walk the walk, Chael only does the former.
4/3/13 6:08 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama

GoodnightWorld - 
UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 
Nonlinear -

Yup. Sadly too many people here are afraid to admit this or don't know their history.... Phone Post 3.0

Wait so....what the fuck does Muhammed Ali owe to pro wrestling? He had that retarded match against Inoki? That was a not EXACTLY career defining, for Ali.

Afraid to admit? hahaha. Wash off your LOD and Demolition face paint, ladies.

What does he owe pro wrestling? Oh nothing.....just his whole persona.

4/3/13 6:14 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama

Muhammad Ali and James Brown acknowledged that their own approach to flamboyant self-promotion was influenced by George. A 19-year old Ali met a 46-year old George at a Las Vegas radio station. During George's radio interview, the wrestler's promo caught the attention of the future heavyweight champion. If George lost to Classy Freddie Blassie, George exclaimed, "I'll crawl across the ring and cut my hair off! But that's not gonna happen because I'm the greatest wrestler in the world!" Ali, who later echoed that very promo when taunting opponent Sonny Liston, recalled, "I saw 15,000 people comin' to see this man get beat. And his talking did it. I said, 'This is a gooood idea!'" In the locker room afterward, the seasoned wrestler gave the future legend some invaluable advice: "A lot of people will pay to see someone shut your mouth. So keep on bragging, keep on sassing and always be outrageous."[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wagner

4/3/13 6:27 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama

GoodnightWorld - 
UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 
GoodnightWorld - 
UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 
Nonlinear -

Wait so....what the fuck does Muhammed Ali owe to pro wrestling? He had that retarded match against Inoki? That was a not EXACTLY career defining, for Ali.

I think you miss the point. Without talk, Chael is nothing. Without talk, Ali is the best boxer ever.

Wrestling didn't do that for him. Substance over hype, even though he could hype.

I think you're the one that's missing my point. You said "Wait so....what the fuck does Muhammed Ali owe to pro wrestling?" and I just showed you.

4/3/13 6:30 PM
Keep if professional

I'm betting the farm on Sonnen.
4/3/13 6:42 PM
Katsumoto

i have to admit that i absolutely HATED sonnen before watching him coach TUF. the show revealed that there is another side to him: an awesome motivator, inspiring teacher, and, along with Tito, one of the best TUF coaches ever. i really respect the guy now.

however, i still wish he'd tone it down with the whole Ali-schtick. i like to think that the guy you see on TUF is the real him, and not the trash-talking, publicity whore you see everywhere else. the UFC doesn't need a hype man like him to sell tickets (i really doubt his antics really help anyway). people will still pay to watch him fight JBJ regardless.
4/3/13 6:47 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama

GoodnightWorld - 
UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 
GoodnightWorld - 
UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 
GoodnightWorld - 
UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 
Nonlinear -

I think you miss the point. Without talk, Chael is nothing. Without talk, Ali is the best boxer ever.

Wrestling didn't do that for him. Substance over hype, even though he could hype.

I think you're the one that's missing my point. You said "Wait so....what the fuck does Muhammed Ali owe to pro wrestling?" and I just showed you.

Oh, gotcha. Then we're talking at cross points. I'm saying Ali is defined by career wins, dominance and political actions, like going to jail for not supporting an imperial/CIA/arms company war; and you're saying "hey, I'm an idiot."

Glad we sorted that out.

Making up fake quotes isn't going to help prove your point and like it or not Ali's pro wrestling style trash talk is also what defined his career and part of the reason why people came out to see his fights because people either wanted to see him win or get his ass beat, much like Chael....

4/3/13 6:54 PM
Tweener

Wow - whoever wrote that needs to do some fucking proofreading.

"When your the greatest..."

Really?

4/5/13 1:55 AM
stonepony

Love it. Would be funny if Chael still had the bruises or the wired jaw at JBJ's wedding.

Who knows. Chael runs his mouth, but he always has a chance, and nobody backs him down. He could take JBJ down 5 times for the win. And, he could knock Jones down if not out. He dropped Anderson a couple times.
4/5/13 11:52 AM
FunDeath4u

Sonnen doesn't looked sucked up and skinny anymore like he did when he got off the roids for a few fights. Soooo Jon is going to have the FULLY ROIDED Silva dominating (until the triangle) Sonnen on his hands. Jon is very good at pawing at peoples eyes the whole fight and kicking people in the knees. If Chael can close the distance he can beat him.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.