UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why no real prize for winner of TUF?

4/5/13 8:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JeffersonDArcyChoke
296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hell's Kitchen on FOX.

The prize: 250K salary to be head chef at a new Gordon Ramsay restaurant in Vegas.

UFC on FX?

The prize? A contract where you can earn less than one of the waiters Dana White tips generously for delivering a perfectly cooked steak.

Of course, Hell's Kitchen is a superior show.

When you can make a kitchen seem exciting and create palpable tension between chain-smoking garnish cooks with a genuine wonder who will be sent packing; you have a recipe that works.

TUF is FIGHTING yet is largely a more boring show that lacks both tension AND personality.

People need to CARE about who wins, find their favorite and have a reason to get into the show while not knowing just what will happen next.

TUF could deliver that but they don't and it's why every winner becomes this generic guy who draws no money, has no fanbase and becomes nothing special for having won.

The UFC could do better.

They're big enough now that they SHOULD. Phone Post
4/5/13 9:00 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/05/13 9:01 AM
Big Pookie - 
Anderson's BBC in my Goku - 
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - The Bellator tournament is 3 months, 1 fight a month. The Ultimate Fighter is 4 fights over 6 weeks. 5 fights if you make it to the finals from the Wild Card seed. The Ultimate Fighter is a tougher tournament, in that regard. Phone Post
And bellator is supposed to be the minor leagues. Yet if u win that tourney u get 100k and shot at the title. Tuf's prize makes the UFC look small time. There is no "big event" feeling u get from the show because u can walk into the UFC outside the show like Alvarez and get a much much much more lucrative contract. Phone Post 3.0

Or you could be a slightly above average fighter like Forrest Griffin and make a shit load more than Alvarez.

You also can't compare a known name like Alvarez to an unknown green fighter. I agree fighter pay on average is shit, but why the hell would you want to pay someone like Jonathan Brookins more money than someone like Alvarez?

but it could have been possible for forrest, or rashad or bisbing to reach their same levels without TUF and what good did winning the show do for brookins or guys like escudero really?...sure, TUF helps raise your profile but the prize is weak as shit..is there any reality show contest with a smaller prize than TUF? winning a ufc contract used to be a huge deal when there wass like 1 ufc event every few months...now they have multiple events in one month and random no names fill the cards with ufc contracts..

100k is life changing money to these kids and its pocket change to the ufc

4/5/13 9:02 AM
sockeye
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can't put a prize on the fame and exposure you get from being on TUF Phone Post 3.0
4/5/13 9:05 AM

JeffersonDArcyChoke -  Hell's Kitchen on FOX.

The prize: 250K salary to be head chef at a new Gordon Ramsay restaurant in Vegas.

UFC on FX?

The prize? A contract where you can earn less than one of the waiters Dana White tips generously for delivering a perfectly cooked steak.

Of course, Hell's Kitchen is a superior show.

When you can make a kitchen seem exciting and create palpable tension between chain-smoking garnish cooks with a genuine wonder who will be sent packing; you have a recipe that works.

TUF is FIGHTING yet is largely a more boring show that lacks both tension AND personality.

People need to CARE about who wins, find their favorite and have a reason to get into the show while not knowing just what will happen next.

TUF could deliver that but they don't and it's why every winner becomes this generic guy who draws no money, has no fanbase and becomes nothing special for having won.

The UFC could do better.

They're big enough now that they SHOULD. Phone Post

agreed...if you look at shows like survivor or big brother..its like, wtf are those shows even about? yet they are the most successful reality shows in history...why? in large part because the prize is so huge that the players play the game intensely...there is so much at stake...now it seems like most or all of the fighters on tuf get a contract anyways so it seems only marginally better if u win

4/5/13 9:19 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Reckoner -
Othello -
Anderson's BBC in my Goku - Instead of awarding them with a slave contract and a watch or whatever? I understand that when TUF first started the UFC was way in the red, but now its a billion dollar company.

Why not increase the stakes and at least give the winner a 100k prize equal to the prize the winner of the "small time" bellator tourney gets? Phone Post

You do know that the 100k isn't an additional grand prize for winning, yes? It is just the total amount of the purses for the 3 fights.

10/10
15/15
25/25
That's the entire point of the thread. Phone Post
No he was talking about bellator. Phone Post
4/5/13 9:37 AM

Crashdt - They live in a huge house in Vegas for 6 weeks for free.
They get whatever food and alchohol they want for 6 weeks for free.
They get bonuses if they finish their fights in the house.
They get a chance to get money if their coach wins a challenge.
They get free coaching for 6 weeks, almost an entire fight training camp, with access to a state of the art training facility for free.
They get prime time TV air time for free.
They can get a KO, Sub and Fight bonus at the end of the show.
They get a shot at a contract with the UFC, which brings more sponsors, money and fame.
They get a shot at a free motorcycle.

The only complaint they have is spending 6 weeks away from their families, and that isnt a valid complaint. 6 weeks is nothing.

How many of these guys would actually make it into the UFC on their own merit? Out of all the seasons, excluding the 1st and the comeback, maybe 15-25? Even if they lose, if they arent a boring fighter, they are going to be on the finale and that could be another ticket in.

No real prize? GTFO
Go look at Eddie Alvarez contract. Then come back and post on this thread. Phone Post 3.0
4/5/13 9:43 AM

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Reckoner -
Othello -
Anderson's BBC in my Goku - Instead of awarding them with a slave contract and a watch or whatever? I understand that when TUF first started the UFC was way in the red, but now its a billion dollar company.

Why not increase the stakes and at least give the winner a 100k prize equal to the prize the winner of the "small time" bellator tourney gets? Phone Post

You do know that the 100k isn't an additional grand prize for winning, yes? It is just the total amount of the purses for the 3 fights.

10/10
15/15
25/25
No. Was taking about tuf. Phone Post 3.0
4/5/13 9:43 AM
greg39tigers

roy chose that path to market himself
4/5/13 7:58 PM
BurlyMayes
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are TUF contestants able to fight for other organizations between when they are filming the show and the finale?

I was just thinking the end of filming for this season was around Thanksgiving. So if someone won in the semi-finals your looking at about a 5 month span between then and the TUF 17 finale. That seems like quite the span of not being able to make money, especially if they last fight was a few months before trying out for the show.

Maybe UFC gives them some cash to tide them over until the finale?
4/5/13 8:07 PM
Bigjon29
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blunderhooks - We're adding a little something to this year's TUF.

As you all know, first prize is a brand new Cadillac El Dorado.

Anyone want to see second prize?

Second prize is an economy pack of Corn Nuts.

Third prize is you're fired. Phone Post 3.0
Haha VTFU Phone Post 3.0
4/5/13 9:25 PM
Massa
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/05/13 9:26 PM
<Quote>Anderson's BBC in my Goku
It's about half of what I make in a year. So yeah, I am not impresse by your salary (if u win all your fights)</Quote>

300K/ year? Major Congrats for that,

Anyone earning over 250K is in the top 3% of income earners:

Sauce:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States
4/5/13 10:48 PM
Dajoker32

Don't they double your pay as a win bonus for that fight so if your contract says 25k you get 50k that's not that bad Phone Post 3.0
4/6/13 3:31 AM
Dougie
936 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder what would happen if a TUF winner declined the contract after winning?

4/6/13 4:52 AM
ortman166

Don't like it don't try out. But yeah they should get a bigger prize for winning. Phone Post 3.0
4/6/13 5:04 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Anderson's BBC in my Goku -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Reckoner -
Othello -

10/10
15/15
25/25
No, he was talking about bellator. Neither The Ultimate Fighter competition, or the 6 figure contract, are three fights. That is the Bellator tournament pay structure. Phone Post
4/6/13 9:01 AM

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -
Anderson's BBC in my Goku -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -
Reckoner -
Othello -

10/10
15/15
25/25
No, he was talking about bellator. Neither The Ultimate Fighter competition, or the 6 figure contract, are three fights. That is the Bellator tournament pay structure. Phone Post
So bellator pays u nothing additional for winning the tourney? So what did Doug Marshall mean when he said he was motivated by the 100k to win the fight. Phone Post 3.0
4/6/13 9:07 AM

Dougie -

I wonder what would happen if a TUF winner declined the contract after winning?

They prolly have to accept the contract just to enter the house. Phone Post 3.0
4/6/13 9:22 AM
Seats Taken
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skip TUF

Enter Bellator tournament, win 100k check with your face on it. Tweet @danawhite to match your contract. Profit.

By the time you blow that 100k, Dana and Bjorn will be done with their dick measuring contest and you will be making way more than your probably worth, with one or the other Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.