UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Tricep Exercises That Don't Elbows?

4/5/13 3:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Arglebargle
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/05/13 4:18 PM

"Don't BOTHER Elbows"*. Shit.

After my Bench overhead press days I like to do something that isolates the triceps. I don't have access to cables, and skullcrushers (or french press or whatever you want to call it) and overhead extensions cause me to have aching pain in my elbows afterwards. Tricep kickbacks don't do shit for me.

Suggestions?
4/5/13 5:55 PM
DaddyRich
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

close grip bench press?
4/5/13 8:56 PM
ArmyJitz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try doing bodyweight bench dips.
Depending on your foot position, you can vary the stress on the muscle.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/bench-dips
4/5/13 9:50 PM
banco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like JM presses. Just make sure you stick to 12 + reps and less than a minute rest between sets that way you won't be able to load up on the weight and be easier on your elbows.
4/5/13 10:34 PM
CMX
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dips ?? Phone Post
4/6/13 4:23 AM
molsonman
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3 board press or floor presses.
4/6/13 7:25 AM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jerk off with a resistance band attached to the ceiling and your wrist
4/6/13 7:49 AM
slayer806
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Step 1. Go buy a cheap foam roller from Walmart or Sports Authority

Step 2. Cut it down to 12 inches or so

Step 3. Tuck it under your shirt

Instant 4 board (foam) press. All triceps. Phone Post 3.0
4/6/13 9:14 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diamond push ups. close grip bench press
4/6/13 2:06 PM
Arglebargle
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus KO'd stayrad - 
CMX - Dips ?? Phone Post
This! It's the only tricep exercise I do for triceps Phone Post 3.0

Dips are good, but not on non-chest days when I'm trying to recover. This applies to close-grip bench and diamond push-ups as well.

I made this thread after overhead press and overhead extensions yesterday. My elbows feel ok now but all day yesterday they were aching.

Looking up JM presses now...
4/6/13 2:09 PM
Arglebargle

Looks like JM presses are going to be what I try next.
4/9/13 3:22 PM
HERTSWENIP
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/09/13 3:42 PM
I had the same issues, but I tried a narrow grip EZ bar french press (a french press goes over/behind your head, different from a "skull crusher") on a decline bench following OH pressing, it feels much better and you get better recruitment.

According to per tesch's MRI research, it's one of the most effective movements for hitting all 3 heads of the triceps (french press on a DECLINE > standing/flat bench FP), you get a nice stretch on the long head.
4/9/13 4:20 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HERTSWENIP - I had the same issues, but I tried a narrow grip EZ bar french press (a french press goes over/behind your head, different from a "skull crusher") on a decline bench following OH pressing, it feels much better and you get better recruitment.

According to per tesch's MRI research, it's one of the most effective movements for hitting all 3 heads of the triceps (french press on a DECLINE > standing/flat bench FP), you get a nice stretch on the long head.

This is the press that you mentioned.
The press starts at 10 minuets in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rh3MHnRI_I
4/9/13 11:30 PM
HERTSWENIP
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus KO'd stayrad - I train triceps once a week and do heavy sets of dips. I do not use isolation exercises for triceps.
Tey also get worked while benching on my bench day. Phone Post 3.0

I used to feel pressing and dips would be more than adequate for years. I only started experimenting with this movement this year, and it's fostered significant growth (I've been lifting consistently for most of my life- nearly 2 decades). I also find dips aggravate my elbow bursitis much more easily than other movements.
4/9/13 11:33 PM
HERTSWENIP

JamesDean57 - 
HERTSWENIP - I had the same issues, but I tried a narrow grip EZ bar french press (a french press goes over/behind your head, different from a "skull crusher") on a decline bench following OH pressing, it feels much better and you get better recruitment.

This is the press that you mentioned.
The press starts at 10 minuets in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rh3MHnRI_I

Yep that's it- except he's doing it on a flat bench, not a decline.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.