UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> 'Cyborg': Talk doesn't matter

4/5/13 4:40 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Since the rise of Ronda Rousey to prominence in Women's MMA, people have been talking about a potential bout with Cris Cyborg. Although the two now fighter in different weight classes, the match up has been the most discussed in women's MMA and Cyborg has taken her fair share of criticism, but as she sees it, talk is just talk:

"I have nothing to prove to anyone," said Santos, who meets Australian Fiona Muxlow on Friday night at Invicta 5 in Kansas City. "People talk and talk, and what does that matter? It's all talk. When I step into the cage, that's when I do my talking."

UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has been among Santos' loudest critics, referring to her "Cryborg," among other names. Santos, who chose to fight in Invicta at featherweight rather than attempt to get down to the 135-pound mark and compete in the UFC's only women's division, says she still wants to fight Rousey.

"Ask Dana White if he wants to make the fight," Santos said. "Ask Ronda if she wants the fight. I will fight her. I'm not afraid of anyone. You have to ask them why they don't want to make the fight."

read entire article...

4/5/13 4:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FrankTheBoxer58
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thought that was a picture of Fox for a minute Phone Post
4/5/13 4:58 PM
jimbonice

Ronda tucked and ran. Phone Post
4/5/13 6:46 PM
brutalmaggot

This topic has been talked to death, but honestly I think Ronda is running. The more I read about Dolce and his diet, the more like a scam it seems. At the weigh ins Cyborg did look a little "softer," as in not as muscular. But she is still ripped. From where could she lose ten pounds? There is no fat on her. Dehydrating herself to that point would be a huge detriment to her health. I don't think she's afraid to lose, but why would she put herself at a disadvantage when Ronda has already fought at 145 anyway?
4/5/13 6:56 PM
BRZ

brutalmaggot - This topic has been talked to death, but honestly I think Ronda is running. The more I read about Dolce and his diet, the more like a scam it seems. At the weigh ins Cyborg did look a little "softer," as in not as muscular. But she is still ripped. From where could she lose ten pounds? There is no fat on her. Dehydrating herself to that point would be a huge detriment to her health. I don't think she's afraid to lose, but why would she put herself at a disadvantage when Ronda has already fought at 145 anyway?
This isn't Ronda's choice. The UFC just started this 135lbs division. They aren't going to do catch weight yet with their champ. It's 135 or nothing for Cris. The sooner she learns that the quicker the fight happens. If Cris can't make 135 then no point in talking about it. Phone Post 3.0
4/5/13 7:03 PM
mongo54
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

she was 145 the night before weigh-in.................

4/5/13 9:14 PM
georgejonesjr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glovegate - 
BRZ - 
brutalmaggot - This topic has been talked to death, but honestly I think Ronda is running. The more I read about Dolce and his diet, the more like a scam it seems. At the weigh ins Cyborg did look a little "softer," as in not as muscular. But she is still ripped. From where could she lose ten pounds? There is no fat on her. Dehydrating herself to that point would be a huge detriment to her health. I don't think she's afraid to lose, but why would she put herself at a disadvantage when Ronda has already fought at 145 anyway?
This isn't Ronda's choice. The UFC just started this 135lbs division. They aren't going to do catch weight yet with their champ. It's 135 or nothing for Cris. The sooner she learns that the quicker the fight happens. If Cris can't make 135 then no point in talking about it. Phone Post 3.0

It's only not her choice NOW.

When Ronda decided to drop to 135 when it was looking like she was going to fight Cyborg soon, that's when it was her choice.  And she made it.

Ronda won her medal at 155.  Now apparently she eats 1 meal per day and fasts 1 day per week.  If that makes 135 her natural weight, ok fine...

I'm not bashing anyone but people seem to miss these facts almost on purpose and shit all over Cyborg.  Both women have seemed to do things to avoid this fight in their own way but fact is, it could have happened and didn't because Ronda chose to drop down while undefeated with 100% first round finishes.

Olympic judo - you weigh in an hour or two before you compete.

MMA - you weigh in 24 hours before you fight.

Knowing that, do you still think competing at 154 pounds in judo is the same as competing at 155 in MMA?

Assuming the usual 15-20 pound cut, 154 in judo is 134-139 pounds MMA.

The reason people think 135 is her natural weight is because she looked fat at 145, and at 135 she looks fit. Basically, she has zero titles in MMA at 145, and she has a title in the UFC at 135. Which do you think is her optimal weight, the one she's done almost nothing at and looks fat at, or the one she won a title at and looks fit?

The one meal a day thing is a dietary technique (read about intermittent fasting) used largely by people trying to reduce their insulin resistance - its no better or worse than eating 6 meals a day at keeping weight off. Not sure why she's worried about insulin resistance, maybe diabetes runs in her family, or maybe she just likes feeling full once a day.
4/5/13 9:16 PM
JerodR
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

georgejonesjr - 
Glovegate - 
BRZ - 

When Ronda decided to drop to 135 when it was looking like she was going to fight Cyborg soon, that's when it was her choice.  And she made it.

Ronda won her medal at 155.  Now apparently she eats 1 meal per day and fasts 1 day per week.  If that makes 135 her natural weight, ok fine...

I'm not bashing anyone but people seem to miss these facts almost on purpose and shit all over Cyborg.  Both women have seemed to do things to avoid this fight in their own way but fact is, it could have happened and didn't because Ronda chose to drop down while undefeated with 100% first round finishes.

Olympic judo - you weigh in an hour or two before you compete.

MMA - you weigh in 24 hours before you fight.

Knowing that, do you still think competing at 154 pounds in judo is the same as competing at 155 in MMA?

Assuming the usual 15-20 pound cut, 154 in judo is 134-139 pounds MMA.

The reason people think 135 is her natural weight is because she looked fat at 145, and at 135 she looks fit. Basically, she has zero titles in MMA at 145, and she has a title in the UFC at 135. Which do you think is her optimal weight, the one she's done almost nothing at and looks fat at, or the one she won a title at and looks fit?

The one meal a day thing is a dietary technique (read about intermittent fasting) used largely by people trying to reduce their insulin resistance - its no better or worse than eating 6 meals a day at keeping weight off. Not sure why she's worried about insulin resistance, maybe diabetes runs in her family, or maybe she just likes feeling full once a day.

Logic has no place on the UG! Voted Up never the less...
4/5/13 9:19 PM
georgejonesjr
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I should add that I agree its silly to shit on Cyborg for this - she should no more have to lose weight to fight Rousey than Rousey should have to gain weight to fight Cyborg. The fact is, they're different sizes, and they're not sisters or friends, so neither owes the other anything, including changing weight to help the other.

All Cyborg has to do is put the same effort into marketing herself as Rousey did, and the UFC will create a 145 or even a 155 pound division for her. The problem only exists if Cyborg can't be bothered to do the marketing, but still wants the big payday that comes from a much hyped fight. Rousey doesn't need Cyborg, Cyborg doesn't need Rousey - what Cyborg needs is to get her marketing in gear. I assume that's why Tito is on board.
4/5/13 9:23 PM
stonepony

Steroids.
4/5/13 9:26 PM
BRZ

Glovegate -
BRZ - 

Ronda dropped down because the 135 division is where the money and the bigger fights are. Ronda also planned to go back up to 145 before Cyborg got popped and then SF closed up so that idea went out the window.

Now the ball is in Cyborg's court so it's up to her to make it happen. Phone Post 3.0
4/6/13 3:17 AM
stonepony

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/154887/wing-on-the-contender
4/6/13 11:12 AM
SlatstheFist
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at Dolce and Dana being experts in nutrition, dieting and weight loss. What were there credentials again? Phone Post
4/6/13 11:26 AM
Kick Boxe
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonepony - Steroids.
If you dislike every fighter who has taken a ped, you don't like many fighters Phone Post
4/6/13 11:28 AM
Kick Boxe
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

spirello - no place for roiders in mma
So you want them to cut 70+ percent of the roster? Phone Post
4/6/13 1:34 PM
Cya

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.