UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> "UFC brand and the event" sells, not Gustafasson

4/6/13 2:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brian J DSouza
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this what you take away from Garry Cook's quote here? That the show is not a bust because the UFC has other Swedish MMA fighters/"players'?

MMA is not like football, players aren't interchangable. A few are stars and those stars are the draw, IMO:

When asked about offering refunds, Garry Cook, UFC's new Executive Vice President and Managing Director for Europe, the Middle East and Africa, argued that it was the brand and the event, not the biggest individual star that was the primary reason people were attending.

"We're in the commercial world, and a lot of people have spent hard-earned money to come to a UFC event, and I think that's the clear message," Cook said at Wednesday's press conference. "It's not just about Alexander. We understand people have a preference to see Alexander, and we get that. But there are seven Swedish fighters on the card. There are four fighters who are debuting on Saturday night. What a great opportunity to see the beginning of a career that moves on. We like to think of fans as UFC fans. We understand they've got player preferences, fighter preferences, in sport. We understand that."

From MMAFighting.com

4/6/13 2:32 AM
Rear Naked Chode
430 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like what I would expect UFC's new Executive Vice President and Managing Director for Europe, the Middle East and Africa to say.
4/6/13 2:32 AM
Arecsa
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If this was true 151 wouldn't have been cancelled because Jones pulled out. Fighters sell the event, not the UFC name.
4/6/13 3:38 AM
MMALOGIC

to a certain extent it is true.... but once those fans buy tickets they have a certain expectation because those tickets were sold based on certain fights... so you have to deliver something as good if not better on paper otherwise the normal reaction is to complain. 

Now if the event delivers and everyone goes home happy with the experience no problem but if it becomes ufc 149 (urijah vs barao) you hurt that market for your future return.

the only way the UFC can become like the NFL and other teams sports is if starts producing events that only feature one weight class. this way the divisions and by default brand will be bigger than anyone fighter.

Fighters come and go.... divisions and the brand are immortal.

4/6/13 3:40 AM
inf0
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he's right but it's so wrong

4/6/13 3:53 AM
Mr Winter

To people who don't now Garry Cook the man is a joke. Look up his record with Manchester City. He's a disaster waiting to happen.
4/6/13 3:57 AM
Mauro Ranallo's Mic

We've heard what he said, but what does UFC's Managing Director of International Development Marshall Zelaznik say about this?
4/6/13 3:58 AM
MMALOGIC

^ he finally got the UFC what sounds like a very good uk tv deal.

4/6/13 4:08 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arecsa - If this was true 151 wouldn't have been cancelled because Jones pulled out. Fighters sell the event, not the UFC name.
Boom Phone Post 3.0
4/6/13 4:49 AM
Brian J DSouza

Mauro Ranallo's Mic - We've heard what he said, but what does UFC's Managing Director of International Development Marshall Zelaznik say about this?

Maybe Fuel could do a roundtable interview between them? They are the "faces" of MMA, after all.

4/6/13 7:19 AM
Chimp Strength
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr Winter - To people who don't now Garry Cook the man is a joke. Look up his record with Manchester City. He's a disaster waiting to happen.
I keep hearing people mention his name but didn't make the connection... It's the same guy? Wow, total clown and small time hence City getting rid. Phone Post 3.0
4/6/13 7:27 AM
InspiritMick

Only a country lunfamiliar with global sport would spout such bullshit. Having said that, in an ideal world I would prefer the fans happily attended events in the hope of seeing great fights under circumstances like this as well as support their countrymen Phone Post 3.0
4/6/13 7:33 AM
Brian J DSouza

So this is Garry Cook: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/sep/09/garry-cook-resigns-manchester-city

The Manchester City chief executive Garry Cook has resigned his position at the club in the wake of allegations he sent an email to Nedum Onuoha's mother, Dr Anthonia Onuoha, who has cancer, ridiculing her illness.

Guess he'll fit in with the MMA crowd?

4/6/13 8:22 AM
Mentaljim
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know the UFC is building a brand, but I think the fighters are the most important thing they have.

I follow great fighters, not a trademarked octagon.
4/6/13 9:01 AM
Pessimist_Pete

Mentaljim - I know the UFC is building a brand, but I think the fighters are the most important thing they have.

I follow great fighters, not a trademarked octagon.
I follow Buffet Phone Post 3.0
4/6/13 9:27 AM
Brabatross

It's not like the UFC is in Sweden every week. You have to wait months for a UFC to come to a location you. Phone Post 3.0
4/6/13 9:32 AM
Brian J DSouza

Brabatross - It's not like the UFC is in Sweden every week. You have to wait months for a UFC to come to a location you. Phone Post 3.0

If that's the case, and they're seeing Ryan Couture and some local Swedes, why not just go to local MMA shows in Sweden instead of paying a premium to see a UFC logo on the octagon floor?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.