UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mousasi planning knee surgery, fought anyway

4/7/13 4:23 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The biggest news of the week was that Alexander Gustafson was unable to compete at Saturday's UFC on Fuel TV 9. Gustafson suffered a cut that required three stitches and the Swedish Martial Arts Federation deemed him unable to participate. However, it looks as though Gustafson may not have been the only one injured heading into the event:

"I don't want to talk a lot about my injury, but I can tell you that this injury, I'm pretty sure 95 percent wouldn't fight, other fighters," Mousasi said at the post-fight news conference at Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, site of Saturday's card. "I stepped up. I didn't cancel the show. I don't know. We'll go from here."

Mousasi wasn't in much mood to elaborate on just how long he'll be out or the severity of his injury.

"I don't want to say anything yet, but it's nothing small," he said.

"Mousasi had knee problems all through his camp," White said. "He checked with his doctor, and his doctor said, 'You can make it through this fight, and then you're going to have to have surgery after the fight.' The kid wants to fight because he's going to come here and fight the No. 3-ranked light heavyweight in the world – he doesn't want to give up this opportunity, he wants to fight. He shows up here to fight (Gustafsson), who gets stopped (from fighting) on a cut – and we won't even get into that. We'll leave that alone. We all know what's up with that. He's training for this tall striker and ends up fighting a short, strong, southpaw wrestler. And still accepts the fight and takes it."

read entire article...

4/7/13 7:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Topsyjt
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Perhaps this explains his cautious approach yesterday. Can't shoot, drive etc on that fvcked knee. If true huge props for fighting when he has that much of a handicapped. Phone Post 3.0
4/7/13 7:59 AM
JasonGV
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hardcore.

Probably scored some points with Uncle Dana.

I'd suggest Gegard looked sleepy because he overdosed on painkillers for his knee... but he always looks sleepy!
4/7/13 11:40 AM
Yun
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

one of my favorites, Phone Post
4/7/13 11:41 AM
ranier wolfcastle
991 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the scary part is he was gonnqa fight gusta like that

4/7/13 11:46 AM
SimonSu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's always something with Gegard after a poor performance. Knee looked fine until it got blasted with a massive leg kick from those tree trunk legs.

Dana gave him him the thumbs up for his heroic performance so guess it served it's purpose though. You can add "knee injury" to the long list of "explanations" from Gegard's fans.

4/7/13 11:50 AM
SimonSu

http://youtu.be/6gxCP6NbVuc?t=1m38s

4/7/13 11:52 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Incredible toughness.
4/7/13 11:53 AM
Fade7
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gegard's a beast, hope he fully recovers, works on his TDD and makes a run at LHW.
4/7/13 11:56 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SimonSu - 

There's always something with Gegard after a poor performance. Knee looked fine until it got blasted with a massive leg kick from those tree trunk legs.

Dana gave him him the thumbs up for his heroic performance so guess it served it's purpose though. You can add "knee injury" to the long list of "explanations" from Gegard's fans.

Did you read correctly.....his doctor said before the fight that there where problems with his leg. You dont think Dana checks up on something like that before expressing his opinion the issue.

Haters are going to hate indeed.

4/7/13 12:15 PM
Nocturnus

SimonSu -

Reading comprehension, how does that work? Phone Post 3.0
4/7/13 1:25 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whatever. I'm a long time huge fan of Mousasi but it sounds like more excuses. Not a fan of the lay and pray standup strategy which even Mousasi admitted he did.

Love how braindead people act like having to face a new opponent a week out is such a tall order. That doesn't make sense when:
a) the opponent didn't know he was fighting you either
b) you got a full training camp and that opponent didn't get any and
c) you're supposed to be a top 10 caliber LHW and your opponent probably isn't even UFC gatekeeper level.

Sorry, but that was a poor safety performance from Mousasi and MMA fans deserve better, especially from a main event. Some fans will always fool themselves and defend a favorite with excuses but I'm not going to do that. It sounds like Mousasi and Dana are just trying to do damage control.

For a while now I've been telling friends that I felt Mousasi was a dark horse to defeat Jones but if he's too afraid to risk putting a freakin' journeyman away anymore then he's going to look like a deer in the headlights against Jones. That's if he even got to a title shot, which he wont. Disappointing.
4/7/13 3:28 PM
Carl Sonnen

Moose saucey is a beast. Much hespect to him for fighting injured. Good performance. Nice to see this guy in the ewe eff cee.
4/7/13 3:43 PM
ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't understand how gusta gets pulled by the AC for a cut, yet the same AC allows a fighter who needs fucking surgery compete... Makes no sense to me. Phone Post
4/7/13 3:45 PM
john joe
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
Chiron - Whatever. I'm a long time huge fan of Mousasi but it sounds like more excuses. Not a fan of the lay and pray standup strategy which even Mousasi admitted he did.

Love how braindead people act like having to face a new opponent a week out is such a tall order. That doesn't make sense when:
c) you're supposed to be a top 10 caliber LHW and your opponent probably isn't even UFC gatekeeper level.

Sorry, but that was a poor safety performance from Mousasi and MMA fans deserve better, especially from a main event. Some fans will always fool themselves and defend a favorite with excuses but I'm not going to do that. It sounds like Mousasi and Dana are just trying to do damage control.

For a while now I've been telling friends that I felt Mousasi was a dark horse to defeat Jones but if he's too afraid to risk putting a freakin' journeyman away anymore then he's going to look like a deer in the headlights against Jones. That's if he even got to a title shot, which he wont. Disappointing.

on the other hand, imagine what a massive cunt he would have looked like had he casually surged forward onto an overhand right from the massive-shouldered Latifi, got KO'd, mentioned his knee afterwards, everyone like 'yeah whatever, your knee my ass, you suck' and UFC like 'here, have a paycut'

also, the opponent not knowing he was fighting you either doesnt negate the fact that you know nothing about him. It just makes for added caution on both sides. For all he knows, Latifi has an overhand right of death or a super-shot under the left hook.

Its like when you spar someone for the first time, so much more cautious.
4/7/13 4:42 PM
MdGeist

Chiron - Whatever. I'm a long time huge fan of Mousasi but it sounds like more excuses. Not a fan of the lay and pray standup strategy which even Mousasi admitted he did.

I don't know what all this "safety performance" nonsense is coming from. Latifi just wouldn't stay in the pocket to give Mousasi the oppurtunity to get the finish.

Mousasi was moving forward pressing the action every round and stalked Latifi down the entire fight. Latifi's only shot at landing on Mousasi was to back up to the cage, wing big hooks and hopefully catch Mousasi when he got impatient.

Latifi wouldn't engage Mousasi and Mousasi wasn't foolish enough to get countered while rushing into Latifi's range. 

IMO Mousasi proved more by dominating his way to a decision with technical striking while taking no damage, rather than getting a quick 1st round finish. 

4/7/13 4:47 PM
Barbalos

MdGeist - 

I don't know what all this "safety performance" nonsense is coming from. Latifi just wouldn't stay in the pocket to give Mousasi the oppurtunity to get the finish.

Mousasi was moving forward pressing the action every round and stalked Latifi down the entire fight. Latifi's only shot at landing on Mousasi was to back up to the cage, wing big hooks and hopefully catch Mousasi when he got impatient.

Latifi wouldn't engage Mousasi and Mousasi wasn't foolish enough to get countered while rushing into Latifi's range. 

IMO Mousasi proved more by dominating his way to a decision with technical striking while taking no damage, rather than getting a quick 1st round finish. 

Apparently if you're not a stand and wang, Just Bleed Diaz 209 Bro then you're scared, too safe, running, or some other bs.
4/7/13 5:15 PM
MdGeist

I don't understand the back-lash that Mousasi is getting for "playing it safe".

I would be understanding of the criticism if Gegard was on his heels backing-up and simply countering with the jab the whole fight. But that was not the case in this fight.

He was on the offense moving forward actively looking for openings while dealing out massive damage. He was stalking Latifi down the whole time!

4/7/13 9:20 PM
Yussarian
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Latifi's face tells me no one was playing it safe. There was no holding, no blankets to be seen. Both fighters connected. Props to both. I was impressed.
4/7/13 10:00 PM
FedorEmilioEstevez
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chiron - Whatever. I'm a long time huge fan of Mousasi but it sounds like more excuses. Not a fan of the lay and pray standup strategy which even Mousasi admitted he did.

Pretty sure Latifi was training with Gus for Mous and knew a hell if a lot more about him than Mous did about Latifi.

Pretty ballsy to accept the fight with an injury and an unknown.

People gave Bones shit for not accepting the sonnen fight late even though he was a weight class down and his strategy is plain as day. Yet now Mous gets shit for doing the exact opposite. Ugh. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.