UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dominck Cruz: 'I'm still the champion'

4/7/13 10:57 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz has not fought in over a year due to multiple knee surgeries, and his return remains a ways off, at best. B/R's Damon Martin caught up with "The Dominator" to discuss his recovery.

Soon, Cruz will sit down in a meeting with UFC president Dana White to determine his next course of action.  Everyone is curious if White will strip Cruz of his bantamweight title because his absence from the sport will likely reach past two years by the time he returns.

Cruz has no doubts that he is the true UFC bantamweight champion, and he has no desire to give up the belt he earned and defended on multiple occasions.

"I believe that's the way it should be which is me fighting the champion when I come back, which I will come back," said Cruz. "It's no question in my mind and anybody that's counting me out is crazy.  Because I've been counted out before, I've been the guy that wasn't supposed to win several times, and I've always figured it out.  It's who I am, it's how I do it, and I'm going to do it right.

"Let's be honest, Dana White is the business owner.  He's the one that runs this entire organization and the second you start thinking you're calling the shots in a business that Dana White and the Fertitta's built, is when you have a rude awakening of you don't control it, they do.  It's their business and I let them make the business decisions.

"In a perfect world, I keep my title and I come back and beat down Barao. In the business world, I don't know how Dana's visualizing this situation. I don't know what he's dealing with."

"I work for the UFC and I love everything that they've done for me, and that's about all I can say.  I'm preparing to come back and fight for my title.  That's all I can do, I can't make the decision.  That's up to Dana. No doubt in my mind that I'm still the champion, I'm still the best in the world, and when I come back I will do just fine against a guy like Renan Barao."

"Everybody loves a comeback, especially a comeback in a situation that is not easy to return to."

Read entire article...

What do you think UG? Is Cruz still the champion? Is he still the champion if it takes over two years between fights?

4/7/13 11:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anderson P. Sonnen
710 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well ya don't say? Phone Post
4/7/13 11:14 PM
ortman166
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's the champ. Barao might beat him when he returns, but he's the champ Phone Post 3.0
4/7/13 11:14 PM
GaryColeman

I forgot about him. Phone Post 3.0
4/7/13 11:15 PM
GeneraI
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be the champ, you gotta beat the champ Phone Post 3.0
4/7/13 11:17 PM
mijo

No he is not the champion.
4/7/13 11:17 PM
Hunter V
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It will have been two years, strip him of the title.
4/7/13 11:19 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FinestScotch - 

I say strip him, and give him an immediate title shot when he's well.

What this guy said. I understand that he's the champ till someone beats him but he's not giving them a chance to do that. It's not his fault, but it's not fair to Barao. Strip Cruz and give him an immediate rematch against whoever has the belt once he gets better.
4/7/13 11:23 PM
Gerbacio
663 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FinestScotch -

I think he should keep or retire and give it up..... Everyone will be a paper champ unless he's beat

It's a very tough situation for both parts ... Hope he comes back and has a war against Barao! Phone Post 3.0
4/7/13 11:33 PM
UGCTT_Song2
935 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cruuz is the best 135er even if he never comes back

He will fuck barao up Phone Post
4/7/13 11:37 PM
ChaosOverkill
733 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ManWithTheIronFists - 
FinestScotch - 

What this guy said. I understand that he's the champ till someone beats him but he's not giving them a chance to do that. It's not his fault, but it's not fair to Barao. Strip Cruz and give him an immediate rematch against whoever has the belt once he gets better.

Isn't this the same thing as just keeping him the champ though? Giving him an immediate titleshot is making Barao a paper champ

4/7/13 11:42 PM
Haulport

To me all sports, including mma, should be tournaments. Dominick WAS the champ and after two years would have to prove himself again imo. No different than the Ravens will have to prove themselves again in 2013 to continue to be called the champs.
4/7/13 11:49 PM
da Vinci 81
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sucks to have to be out for so long but if he's definitely coming back I don't see a reason to strip him. It's not like he chose to stop fighting so there's no reason not to let him keep the title he earned.

I guess the only drawback is it might not be fair to Barao or whoever to have that "interim" stigma attached to his title. He's out there defending it and proving himself the best in the division while someone else is considered the "real" champion.
4/7/13 11:59 PM
i remember halloween

Don't strip him, who cares if he hasn't fought in a while. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 12:07 AM
UGCTT_Song2
935 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 - Sucks to have to be out for so long but if he's definitely coming back I don't see a reason to strip him. It's not like he chose to stop fighting so there's no reason not to let him keep the title he earned.

I guess the only drawback is it might not be fair to Barao or whoever to have that "interim" stigma attached to his title. He's out there defending it and proving himself the best in the division while someone else is considered the "real" champion.
He should be happy

He gets paid as a champ

If the dominator wasn't injured he would be back down the roster.

Imo of course Phone Post
4/8/13 12:07 AM
stevekt
698 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strip him and award Barao the title.
4/8/13 12:22 AM
da Vinci 81
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Song2 - 
da Vinci 81 - Sucks to have to be out for so long but if he's definitely coming back I don't see a reason to strip him. It's not like he chose to stop fighting so there's no reason not to let him keep the title he earned.

He should be happy

He gets paid as a champ

If the dominator wasn't injured he would be back down the roster.

Imo of course Phone Post

Possibly. But I doubt Barao sees it like that.
4/8/13 12:29 AM
Poindexter
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cruz is the man. To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

4/8/13 12:37 AM
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I completely agree that Cruz is the man.

Great friend, great guy...he deserves to keep his belt!!!!

4/8/13 1:10 AM
Rhys91
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barao will probably win when Cruz fights him but then Cruz will figure it out then beat him in the rematch. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 2:04 AM
Senester
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Swap it up and make Barao champ and Cruz interim champ till he's better?.. ;) Phone Post
4/8/13 2:15 AM
Silhouette
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

to everyone saying he deserves the belt hes the champ, Mir was stripped in 14 months

he hasnt fought in like 18 months and possibly wont fight again til late this year. This is combat sports you have to defend your title. With no definite date for a return you have to strip him.

Barao has won 4 fights and has a 5th lined up since Cruz last fought. Give him a title fight as soon as he gets healthy, but he doesnt deserve the title being inactive for this long

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.