UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Can Mir get this fight with Cormier to the ground?

4/8/13 10:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ranier wolfcastle
1140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Mir Vs Cheick Kongo knock down UFC 107 gif

he has surprised me before though

4/8/13 10:45 AM
15days
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Either way, frank will be tired after 1 round, dead after 2
4/8/13 11:02 AM
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fightharder - 
Lazer MMA - If he does can he sub DC? What are Mir's chances if he gets the fight to the ground UG??
The fight will be on the ground. Only Cormier will be on top of Mir smashing him. I highly doubt he will be able to pull off a submissiom from there. But you never know. Phone Post 3.0

I'd like a poll on this!

"Will DC TD Mir or no"? IMO there is no reason to unless he sees one during the fight.
4/8/13 11:07 AM
gatorlaw
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator Fan - Mir is candidate for long-term brain damage and fights like this don't help. Phone Post 3.0
I agree. I love Frank but am concerned for his long term health. He and Struve are two individuals that immediately come to mind for me in terms of potential pugilistic dementia. Phone Post
4/8/13 11:10 AM
SNewman
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormier has a big-time speed advantage I think which Mir may find difficult to deal with. He looked a lot slower than JDS and I think Cormier is closer to his speed than to Mir's. You can't count Mir out but this is a really difficult fight for him. Really difficult.
4/8/13 11:12 AM
BigWilliam
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir might get a knock down, but a take down? No.
4/8/13 11:15 AM
Ip Man 81

Lazer MMA -
Guys CAN he get DC down???
Of course he CAN get him down...the question is WILL he get him down. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 11:21 AM
MasterofMartialArts
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA -
Some guy - 
Lazer MMA -
Diazed And Confused - DC will take him down and that's all that matters. Phone Post 3.0

Why would he do that??
Since when did Cormier become some kind of top level striker?

DC will be looking for the takedown IMO Phone Post 3.0

DC figures to be better on their feet for sure no? He has great power as well. Why risk going to the ground under those conditions in fight with Mir?
Mir's striking is underrated. I'm not saying he will outstrike Cormier, I'm just saying the striking game may be a little closer that some would think. Frank has some power, DC has some power, but the likely result would be DC taking him down and working some GNP. Frank won't be able to take him down. He could ALWAYS sub him though, he has proven this time and time again. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 11:32 AM
Lazer MMA

Wow

This is the king of thread BTW I like UG! I like intelligent thoughts on what will happen in upcoming fights. So thanks to the posters who posted for there input here (please keep it up) and TTT for more threads in which this type of data is discussed.

As stated BTW MOMA

I'd like a poll on this!

"Will DC TD Mir or no"? IMO there is no reason to unless he sees one during the fight.

I agree with most all of your post BTW too. TY sir
4/8/13 11:33 AM
the hilo kid

Mir better get his striking to another level, cause I can't see him dictating where this fights going to take place. I feel DC will try take Mir out standing.

So, no he can't take him down, and if he does.. DC pops straight back up.

Massive fan of both guys, but would love to see Mir win this fight.

Moneys on DC. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 11:37 AM
AngryFoamy
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hoenstly thought Barnett to be the best HW out there.  I felt he would have crushed Fedor, Cain, JDS, etc......then Cormier beat his ass so.......

4/8/13 11:40 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings

He could catch Cormier standing or pull guard in a scramble.  Doubt he can get a takedown in the traditional sense.

4/8/13 11:44 AM
Kanabull

Mir will break his coccyx trying to get the take down.
4/8/13 11:56 AM
weebrave
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has mentioned starting to train at Jackson's, is Jackson going to be making his gameplay then? But to the question no he can't take dc down Phone Post
4/8/13 12:01 PM
Yoghurt

ranier wolfcastle - 

Frank Mir Vs Cheick Kongo knock down UFC 107 gif

he has surprised me before though

Kongo's standup is notoriously overrated.

He gets caught like this way too often to be considered a good striker.

Getting countered by Hunt is one thing,but someone shooting an overhand without setup(you can't really call what Mir did a proper setup) and hitting you means you got problems man.
4/8/13 12:04 PM
allforroy
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA -
Guys CAN he get DC down???
Pretty much no. His takedowns are pretty telegraphed, and I don't see clinch takedowns happening at all. Barnett couldn't, don't see how Mir does. Bad matchup for Frank. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 12:04 PM
Yoghurt

weebrave -  He has mentioned starting to train at Jackson's, is Jackson going to be making his gameplay then? But to the question no he can't take dc down Phone Post

Jackson will tell him to jab,try to clinch and scramble,pull guard or roll for a knee.

Not much more they can do for him.

Your opponent's wrestling is awesome->your only weapon is jitz->no can defend
4/8/13 12:07 PM
allforroy
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MasterofMartialArts -
Lazer MMA -
Some guy - 
Lazer MMA -
Diazed And Confused - DC will take him down and that's all that matters. Phone Post 3.0

Why would he do that??
Since when did Cormier become some kind of top level striker?

DC will be looking for the takedown IMO Phone Post 3.0

DC figures to be better on their feet for sure no? He has great power as well. Why risk going to the ground under those conditions in fight with Mir?
Mir's striking is underrated. I'm not saying he will outstrike Cormier, I'm just saying the striking game may be a little closer that some would think. Frank has some power, DC has some power, but the likely result would be DC taking him down and working some GNP. Frank won't be able to take him down. He could ALWAYS sub him though, he has proven this time and time again. Phone Post 3.0
I think he's just too slow to compete on his feet against guys like JDS, Cormier, Cain, etc. Even Nog was THAT close to the win because he was out striking him. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 12:10 PM
UGSlapshot

He'll get smashed and Mir has never had all the tools in place to be dominant. Phone Post
4/8/13 12:12 PM
MasterofMartialArts
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

@ Lazer MMA

We definitely need a poll on this. It should be a great fight-and I like Mir, but I have to think his inconsistency has hindered his ability to compile a winning streak. His career is on the decline, and I would love to see him get a win. Cormier is a fucking beast though.

Any blues wanna make a poll? Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 12:18 PM
dangerboy12
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator Fan - Mir is candidate for long-term brain damage and fights like this don't help. Phone Post 3.0

this

I think Cormier will take it to the ground, and do what Ian Freeman and Lesnar did.
4/8/13 12:26 PM
Brock Lobster
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only way I see Mir winning is a submission after Cormier drops him and goes for the finish. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 12:31 PM
donkey guard
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, Mir goes to the ground alone in this one Phone Post
4/8/13 12:43 PM
UGSlapshot

dangerboy12 -
Bellator Fan - Mir is candidate for long-term brain damage and fights like this don't help. Phone Post 3.0

this

I think Cormier will take it to the ground, and do what Ian Freeman and Lesnar did.
I don't think he will, why would he put Mir in a better position to win the fight on purpose?

He's a better striker than Mir so the best thing to for is strike at least theoretically. My bet would be his plan is to knock Mir the fuck out.

I'll never understand guys like Mir, Possibly the best if not one of the best Heavyweight jujitsu practitioners in mma and he's been trying to develop his striking for how long now?

If your bread and butter is submissions, you better have a td game. I think that's why Ronda is so successful, her secondary skillset " jujitsu" is complemented so well by her judo that she's a beast.

I'm just saying that a Frank Mir with a GSP like takedown game is wearing the ufc heavyweight title right now and what a mistake for him to give more attention to his striking than his takedown game. Phone Post
4/8/13 1:18 PM
Chemmy

Not sure I agree with that.

It's a lot easier to become a competent striker (by MMA standards) than it is to become a high-level takedown artist, IMO.

If Mir would've spent all that time working on his TD's instead of his striking, I still don't think he'd be able to take down Cormier, plus he may not have won the fights with Nogueira, Nelson, Kongo... or survived as long as he did with JDS. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.