UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Can Mir get this fight with Cormier to the ground?

4/8/13 1:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hybridfc
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir's straight left/overhand left is his only weapon, Cormier is too quick to be caught by that telegraphed step and sling.

4/8/13 1:25 PM
dangerboy12
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGSlapshot - 
dangerboy12 -
Bellator Fan - Mir is candidate for long-term brain damage and fights like this don't help. Phone Post 3.0

this

I think Cormier will take it to the ground, and do what Ian Freeman and Lesnar did.
I don't think he will, why would he put Mir in a better position to win the fight on purpose?

He's a better striker than Mir so the best thing to for is strike at least theoretically. My bet would be his plan is to knock Mir the fuck out.

I'll never understand guys like Mir, Possibly the best if not one of the best Heavyweight jujitsu practitioners in mma and he's been trying to develop his striking for how long now?

If your bread and butter is submissions, you better have a td game. I think that's why Ronda is so successful, her secondary skillset " jujitsu" is complemented so well by her judo that she's a beast.

I'm just saying that a Frank Mir with a GSP like takedown game is wearing the ufc heavyweight title right now and what a mistake for him to give more attention to his striking than his takedown game. Phone Post

Well, Cormier is a really good grappler, and Mir actually has heavy hands and KO power.

Contrary to what many people believe, Mir's best chance is standing. Cormier is not that hard to hit, and Mir can knock him out. Cormier has good ground and pound, and Mir has a history of struggling with good ground and pound. Carwin, Lesnar, Vera, Pe De Pano, and Ian Freeman beat Mir with GnP.

In fact, JDS is the only guy to finish him standing.

Cormier takes Mir down quick, and finishes him quick IMO.
4/8/13 1:26 PM
WilsonBeatMySkinRed
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Huge Mir fan, and Im worried about this fight...
4/8/13 1:37 PM
dangerboy12
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just looking at the record, Mir has only beaten 1 good wrestler from the bottom. Lesnar in their 1st match.

Cormier would be smart to get this to the ground asap and go to work.
4/8/13 1:39 PM
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MasterofMartialArts - @ Lazer MMA

We definitely need a poll on this. It should be a great fight-and I like Mir, but I have to think his inconsistency has hindered his ability to compile a winning streak. His career is on the decline, and I would love to see him get a win. Cormier is a fucking beast though.

Any blues wanna make a poll? Phone Post 3.0

"Will DC try to TD Mir or no"?

Will any blue poll this?
4/8/13 1:50 PM
Lazer MMA

UGSlapshot - 
dangerboy12 -
Bellator Fan - Mir is candidate for long-term brain damage and fights like this don't help. Phone Post 3.0

this

I think Cormier will take it to the ground, and do what Ian Freeman and Lesnar did.
I don't think he will, why would he put Mir in a better position to win the fight on purpose?

He's a better striker than Mir so the best thing to for is strike at least theoretically. My bet would be his plan is to knock Mir the fuck out.

I'll never understand guys like Mir, Possibly the best if not one of the best Heavyweight jujitsu practitioners in mma and he's been trying to develop his striking for how long now?

If your bread and butter is submissions, you better have a td game. I think that's why Ronda is so successful, her secondary skillset " jujitsu" is complemented so well by her judo that she's a beast.

I'm just saying that a Frank Mir with a GSP like takedown game is wearing the ufc heavyweight title right now and what a mistake for him to give more attention to his striking than his takedown game. Phone Post

I thought this when I wrote thread, now I'm wondering if I was correct! Posters seem confident that DC will go for TD's. Very F'in interesting!
4/8/13 1:55 PM
dangerboy12

Well, I mean other than JDS and Nogueria 2, Mir has done very well on his feet in every other fight, and Cormier doesn't have the striking of JDS or Nogueria.
4/8/13 2:20 PM
MasterofMartialArts
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dangerboy12 -
UGSlapshot - 
dangerboy12 -

this

Well, Cormier is a really good grappler, and Mir actually has heavy hands and KO power.

Contrary to what many people believe, Mir's best chance is standing. Cormier is not that hard to hit, and Mir can knock him out. Cormier has good ground and pound, and Mir has a history of struggling with good ground and pound. Carwin, Lesnar, Vera, Pe De Pano, and Ian Freeman beat Mir with GnP.

In fact, JDS is the only guy to finish him standing.

Cormier takes Mir down quick, and finishes him quick IMO.
Great post and voted the fuck up, dangerboy Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 2:21 PM
Rudenoodle

I don't know, do you? DO YOU?!?!
4/8/13 2:21 PM
Rudenoodle

I don't know, do you? DO YOU?!?!
4/8/13 5:54 PM
Lazer MMA

TTT
4/8/13 7:51 PM
Lazer MMA

TTT
4/8/13 8:05 PM
Alice In Chains
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody down for a sn bet? I'll take Mir Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 8:16 PM
diaz 125

i can see mir getting a leg lock in a scramble. or cormier going into mirs guard and getting caught their.

mir cant take him down though
4/8/13 8:19 PM
KZTT_FawkingxD
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he lets Cormier knock him out I'm sure Cormier will follow up with GNP.. So op I think the answer is yes! Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 8:43 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
KZTT_FawkingxD - If he lets Cormier knock him out I'm sure Cormier will follow up with GNP.. So op I think the answer is yes! Phone Post 3.0

You're joking but that might be a bad idea for Cormier.  A lot of Mir's sub wins come from his opponent rocking him on the feet and following him to the ground for a finish.  Mir is good at playing possum.

4/8/13 9:01 PM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
IntellectualSavior - 
Herring In A Fur Coat - 
KZTT_FawkingxD - If he lets Cormier knock him out I'm sure Cormier will follow up with GNP.. So op I think the answer is yes! Phone Post 3.0

You're joking but that might be a bad idea for Cormier.  A lot of Mir's sub wins come from his opponent rocking him on the feet and following him to the ground for a finish.  Mir is good at playing possum.

He is also good at 'playing it cool' while getting blasted on the ground, until he ends up limp and bloody...you know, like almost every loss he has ever had?

It's gone both ways on the ground for Mir for sure.  But it's still much safer for his opponent to NOT follow him to the ground if he's rocked.  Let him recover and get back up, finish on the feet.

4/8/13 9:09 PM
77Ronin

Seats Taken - Mir can beat anyone at HW via submission. Chances are he's going to get KO'd looking for that submission though.

My guess would be Mir's best chance of taking it to the ground is getting DC to take him down. Mir isn't the brightest, I could see him step in the cage and just want to bang. Phone Post 3.0

"Mir isn't the brightest..."

That is pretty asinine. Mir is one of the more intelligent fighters in the game. That is why he has been a color commentator (a good one too), a TUF coach, and a current asst. coach. He is well regarded for his intellect. He may be brash, arrogant, or just plain cocky, but to deride his intellect is showing your inability to put your feelings about the man aside and look at the situation objectively.
4/8/13 9:26 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No I don't think Mir can take him down.

I think this fight will go where ever DC wants it to go.
4/9/13 1:25 AM
MasterofMartialArts
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

77Ronin -
Seats Taken - Mir can beat anyone at HW via submission. Chances are he's going to get KO'd looking for that submission though.

My guess would be Mir's best chance of taking it to the ground is getting DC to take him down. Mir isn't the brightest, I could see him step in the cage and just want to bang. Phone Post 3.0

"Mir isn't the brightest..."

That is pretty asinine. Mir is one of the more intelligent fighters in the game. That is why he has been a color commentator (a good one too), a TUF coach, and a current asst. coach. He is well regarded for his intellect. He may be brash, arrogant, or just plain cocky, but to deride his intellect is showing your inability to put your feelings about the man aside and look at the situation objectively.
LOL this for sure
That wasn't a very well thought out statement. Mir is very well known for his extensive technical knowledge and fight IQ. That's something you wouldn't know by looking at his Wikipedia page. LOL @ "Mir isn't the brightest" Phone Post 3.0
4/9/13 10:09 AM
Yoghurt

Alice In Chains - Anybody down for a sn bet? I'll take Mir Phone Post 3.0

Sure,I'll go.

You game?
4/9/13 10:17 AM
Yoghurt

Dont tuck on me now boi!

Send me a pm!
4/9/13 10:21 AM
KZTT_FawkingxD
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herring In A Fur Coat -
IntellectualSavior - 
Herring In A Fur Coat - 

He is also good at 'playing it cool' while getting blasted on the ground, until he ends up limp and bloody...you know, like almost every loss he has ever had?

It's gone both ways on the ground for Mir for sure.  But it's still much safer for his opponent to NOT follow him to the ground if he's rocked.  Let him recover and get back up, finish on the feet.

This is what I kept thinking when not fights. Especially when he was all wobbly against jds. Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 8:56 AM
Lazer MMA

TTT
4/16/13 8:36 AM
Lazer MMA

Any other thoughts?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.