UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Can Mir get this fight with Cormier to the ground?

4/16/13 9:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ranier wolfcastle
936 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i can see mir pulling guard from clinch, right into a sweep...

its possible, not probable

4/16/13 9:49 AM
Doc T
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir by kneebar Phone Post
4/16/13 12:01 PM
eljamaiquino
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA -
Some guy - 
Lazer MMA -
Diazed And Confused - DC will take him down and that's all that matters. Phone Post 3.0

Why would he do that??
Since when did Cormier become some kind of top level striker?

DC will be looking for the takedown IMO Phone Post 3.0

DC figures to be better on their feet for sure no? He has great power as well. Why risk going to the ground under those conditions in fight with Mir?
Mir did outstrike both Crocop and Nog. Other than JDS, I can't think of a loss where Mir was beaten on the feet. Most of his tko losses are by clinch strikes or GNP. Phone Post
4/16/13 12:15 PM
Lazer MMA

eljamaiquino - 
Lazer MMA -
Some guy - 
Lazer MMA -
Diazed And Confused - DC will take him down and that's all that matters. Phone Post 3.0

Why would he do that??

DC figures to be better on their feet for sure no? He has great power as well. Why risk going to the ground under those conditions in fight with Mir?
Mir did outstrike both Crocop and Nog. Other than JDS, I can't think of a loss where Mir was beaten on the feet. Most of his tko losses are by clinch strikes or GNP. Phone Post

Yea this thread really has me thinking. I still feel I'm correct and DC should try to outstrike Mir.

Many here feel DC go for TD's right away (to GNP). It's an interesting tactical fight for sure.

Can't wait
4/17/13 6:19 PM
UGSlapshot

Lazer MMA -
UGSlapshot - 
dangerboy12 -
Bellator Fan - Mir is candidate for long-term brain damage and fights like this don't help. Phone Post 3.0

this

I think Cormier will take it to the ground, and do what Ian Freeman and Lesnar did.
I don't think he will, why would he put Mir in a better position to win the fight on purpose?

He's a better striker than Mir so the best thing to for is strike at least theoretically. My bet would be his plan is to knock Mir the fuck out.

I'll never understand guys like Mir, Possibly the best if not one of the best Heavyweight jujitsu practitioners in mma and he's been trying to develop his striking for how long now?

If your bread and butter is submissions, you better have a td game. I think that's why Ronda is so successful, her secondary skillset " jujitsu" is complemented so well by her judo that she's a beast.

I'm just saying that a Frank Mir with a GSP like takedown game is wearing the ufc heavyweight title right now and what a mistake for him to give more attention to his striking than his takedown game. Phone Post

I thought this when I wrote thread, now I'm wondering if I was correct! Posters seem confident that DC will go for TD's. Very F'in interesting!
He may but that doesn't mean its his best option.

Mirs best chance is on the ground, how much of a chance does he have? I Don't know but he's going to find more opportunities on the ground than striking.

Even if he goes in and ko's the guy his striking is still going to be lower percentage then his jujitsu skills.

My point still stands, if Mir gets top control on anybody thier in trouble.

His issue is he can't wrestle, he's just not good at it.

Every heavyweight has KO power but Mir can't knock guys out consistently, his striking is a secondary skill and it's evident.

Striking is not easier than grappling or jujitsu, it just depends on the person.

I can grapple like a mother fucker, my jj and judo are excellent for the time I put in to learning it but my striking?

It's something I would need to put a lot more time into developing.

If you say this is easier than that, You're just wrong it doesn't work that way for everyone.

Anyway Daniel Might very well take Frank down its still IMO the wrong game plan.

Frank Mir is much more dangerous with his jujitsu skills than he is with his striking skills, period. Phone Post
4/17/13 6:22 PM
dangerboy12
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Mir is better than Cormier standing by a pretty good bit.

I think Cormier is better on the ground by a pretty good bit.

That's why I think Cormier will take him down, and win the fight.
4/17/13 6:25 PM
Lazer MMA

UGSlapshot - 
Lazer MMA -
UGSlapshot - 
dangerboy12 -
Bellator Fan - Mir is candidate for long-term brain damage and fights like this don't help. Phone Post 3.0

this

I think Cormier will take it to the ground, and do what Ian Freeman and Lesnar did.
I don't think he will, why would he put Mir in a better position to win the fight on purpose?

He's a better striker than Mir so the best thing to for is strike at least theoretically. My bet would be his plan is to knock Mir the fuck out.

I'll never understand guys like Mir, Possibly the best if not one of the best Heavyweight jujitsu practitioners in mma and he's been trying to develop his striking for how long now?

If your bread and butter is submissions, you better have a td game. I think that's why Ronda is so successful, her secondary skillset " jujitsu" is complemented so well by her judo that she's a beast.

I'm just saying that a Frank Mir with a GSP like takedown game is wearing the ufc heavyweight title right now and what a mistake for him to give more attention to his striking than his takedown game. Phone Post

I thought this when I wrote thread, now I'm wondering if I was correct! Posters seem confident that DC will go for TD's. Very F'in interesting!
He may but that doesn't mean its his best option.

Mirs best chance is on the ground, how much of a chance does he have? I Don't know but he's going to find more opportunities on the ground than striking.

Even if he goes in and ko's the guy his striking is still going to be lower percentage then his jujitsu skills.

My point still stands, if Mir gets top control on anybody thier in trouble.

His issue is he can't wrestle, he's just not good at it.

Every heavyweight has KO power but Mir can't knock guys out consistently, his striking is a secondary skill and it's evident.

Striking is not easier than grappling or jujitsu, it just depends on the person.

I can grapple like a mother fucker, my jj and judo are excellent for the time I put in to learning it but my striking?

It's something I would need to put a lot more time into developing.

If you say this is easier than that, You're just wrong it doesn't work that way for everyone.

Anyway Daniel Might very well take Frank down its still IMO the wrong game plan.

Frank Mir is much more dangerous with his jujitsu skills than he is with his striking skills, period. Phone Post

Yep, Agreed per my post above yours as well. We though are NOT the majority which I'm amazed by. Strong post IMO
4/17/13 6:27 PM
UGSlapshot

eljamaiquino -
Lazer MMA -
Some guy - 
Lazer MMA -

Why would he do that??

Outstriking cc in his Twilight doesn't mean a ton I mean Gonzaga buried him does that mean he's now an elite striker?

Nog should fight at cruiserweight regardless he had Mir dead to rights until he went to the ground with him. Phone Post
4/17/13 7:16 PM
bobby boulders
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think getting Cormier down will be a tough task. I'm not a fan of Mir by any means, but the man has proven capable of doing things that aren't likely. I wouldn't think he could submit Cormier, but he subbed Nog, so it is definitely possible.

That said, although I hate predicting outcomes, as anything can happen, I believe Cormier will wreck Mir and KHTFO in the first. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 7:42 PM
Lazer MMA

bobby boulders - I think getting Cormier down will be a tough task. I'm not a fan of Mir by any means, but the man has proven capable of doing things that aren't likely. I wouldn't think he could submit Cormier, but he subbed Nog, so it is definitely possible.

That said, although I hate predicting outcomes, as anything can happen, I believe Cormier will wreck Mir and KHTFO in the first. Phone Post 3.0

I thought this too in a real way but I smell a rat. If I had to bet I'd take DC quick, on this board I'm going with 6th sense and take Mir via sub in the upset.
4/17/13 7:46 PM
Ayk07

mir has the best chance of winning by striking. He won't get dc on the ground. DC might think that he can drop mir which he can but that is also very dangerous for him especially if he goes into it fast and gets submitted like nog. Phone Post
4/17/13 8:00 PM
Lazer MMA

Ayk07 -  mir has the best chance of winning by striking. He won't get dc on the ground. DC might think that he can drop mir which he can but that is also very dangerous for him especially if he goes into it fast and gets submitted like nog. Phone Post

I heard an interview in which Mir said his own reach is a huge factor in the striking game favoring him. It's the speed and power of DC that I see as the issue no question.
4/17/13 8:05 PM
UGSlapshot

Lazer MMA -
bobby boulders - I think getting Cormier down will be a tough task. I'm not a fan of Mir by any means, but the man has proven capable of doing things that aren't likely. I wouldn't think he could submit Cormier, but he subbed Nog, so it is definitely possible.

I thought this too in a real way but I smell a rat. If I had to bet I'd take DC quick, on this board I'm going with 6th sense and take Mir via sub in the upset.
If he can't learn from Big Nogs mistakes then that's on him as far as fight IQ lol.

Out of 100 fights I'd be surprised if Mir won 10 but who's to say that this doesn't end up being one of those 10.

War Mir!

Even though I feel he'll get wrecked. Phone Post
4/17/13 8:12 PM
Lazer MMA

LOL agreed again Slapshot
4/18/13 7:56 AM
Lazer MMA

We're so close now! WTF will this fight take place UG? On their feet or no?????????????????????
4/18/13 12:45 PM
SHOOTMedia
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In my opinion, Mir's ability to get this to the ground (and in top position) is crucial. If this fight turns into a stand-up exchange, Mir is at a disadvantage (despite his reach advantage.)

4/21/13 8:29 PM
Lazer MMA

circa305 - Funny Cormier could barely get Mir to the ground.

When TF did he even try? In fact when did either even try??!!! DC clinched and point fought his way to an ugly win.

No clue at all what TF Frank was doing (hell even when he was doing ok on his feet he allowed a clinch???????????? TF?) or Greg was thinking.

It looked like a good thread, lots of thoughts. The only thing any of us were correct about is that DC would want to stay on his feet. Almost complete thread fail. Certainly the title of the thread is a fail by me as well too.
4/21/13 8:35 PM
dangerboy12
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, it looks like everyone was wrong, or right, however you want to look at it.

Cormier didn't choose to stand, or take Mir down. He chose the clinch, which was the best option. Mir has historically been bad in the clinch, and is not an offensive threat from the either.
4/22/13 10:53 AM
Kanabull

Cormier could have dumped Mir anytime he wanted too.
4/22/13 10:57 AM
triso
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank needs to start letting go more. Start throwing more, start shooting more, start being more offensive period. He tends to wait for guys in there and he gets himself in trouble like that.

4/22/13 2:53 PM
wiggum
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DC fights take place where DC wants them to take place.
4/22/13 3:21 PM
Silverball
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kanabull -

So obviously this. Phone Post 3.0
4/22/13 3:32 PM
wiggum
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silverball - 
Kanabull -

So obviously this. Phone Post 3.0

Obvious, obvious, obvious.
4/22/13 3:38 PM
Nexuscrawlers
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir should have pulled guard. he has good enough subs to really be able to pull guard against most HWs in the UFC and still be able to sub them.

4/22/13 6:53 PM
UGSlapshot

Well Mir did do better than I expected however he was content to sit in the clinch and let Cormier dictate the fight.

Every time they separated Mir would just go right back into the clinch or Cormier would put him there.
For someone who is supposed to have such a high fight IQ he sure wasn't able to capitalize on anything or adapt his game plan.

There's a difference between being a excellent analyst cageside and fight IQ inside the cage. Mir has decent awareness but he certainly failed to adjust in this fight.

Mir didn't really have any offense, nothing significant anyway.

Regardless of all that I still felt we saw an improved Frank Mir his stand up looks better than it has in the past and his defensive abilities looks to be greatly improved.

He's a solid top ten fighter he's just not well rounded enough to be a contender in today's heavyweight division. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.