UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Marloes Coenen vs. Cris Cyborg at Invicta 6

4/8/13 2:10 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Following a dominant performance at Invicta 5 on Friday vs. Australian fighter Fiona Muxlow, Cris "Cyborg" Santos is now scheduled to fight Marloes Coenen at Invicta 6, which is expected to take place in late June or early July. The inaugural Invicat FC featherweight title will be on the line.

The pair fought once before, in  January of 2010, in Cyborg's first defense of her Strikeforce women's 145 pound title.

Coenen next fight was a successful bid for the Strikeforce bantamweight title, vs. Sarah Kaufman. Coenen's last fight a a submission win over Muxlow at DREAM.18.

Friday's fight was Cyborg's first since since December, 2011, when she beat Hiroko Yamanaka. That bout was eventually turned to No Contest following Santos' positive test for Performan Enhancing Drugs, that resulted in a one year suspension.

Invicta FC currently recognizes five weight divisions:
Atomweight 105 lb • Michelle Waterson
Strawweight  115 lb • Carla Esparza
Flyweight 125 lb • Barb Honchak
Bantamweight 135 lb
Featherweight 145 lb • Winner of Santos vs. Coenen

4/8/13 2:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ShaqNoob
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cheeto
4/8/13 2:15 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

feeling sorry for Marloes Coenen, the cutie is going to get wrecked.
4/8/13 2:17 PM
Tree Hugger
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/08/13 2:22 PM
Good fight. Good rematch. Marloes isn't a scrub but seemed a lot phyiscally weaker and manhandled by cyborg in there last fight. If she is not juicing she might have a good shot this time.
4/8/13 2:23 PM
TheRealMrBeefy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Marloes submits her. I'm not a big fan of Cyborg, as impressive as she has been just to pop on PEDS is a big disappointment to MMA. If she was so damn good then why did she need to cheat. Phone Post
4/8/13 2:29 PM
Card
2123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/8/13 2:30 PM
SLUGSHOT_331
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, I love them both.  Don't want to see Marloes get beat up again :(

4/8/13 2:45 PM
MTH
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just watched their entire 2010 fight again.  It's on YouTube. 

Coenen made it to the 3rd and never stopped fighting . . . but it wasn't close.  If Coenen expects to have a chance to change that in the rematch, she's got to keep her back off the cage and stay off the bottom.  Of course, those are two things Cyborg forces pretty easily with her physicality--and indeed, Coenen had her back on the cage and was on the bottom a lot in their first fight.

Cyborg put Coenen's back into the fence when she wanted to, and took Coenen down when she wanted to.  Even Coenen's takedown attempts all got reversed into Cyborg takedowns. 

I think Coenen needs to take a page from Condit's Diaz gameplan--stick-and-move and out-kickbox.  Trying to out-grapple or out-firefight Cyborg will not work. 

Having been in with her once should help Coenen in the next fight, but I'm not terribly optimistic.  :(

4/8/13 3:23 PM
Kings21
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll definitely be rooting for Coenen but I dont see her taking this fight.
4/8/13 3:42 PM
Topsyjt
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Coenen can set up, mask her TD attempts she will have a better chance of success. Once she get Cris down, it's going to be a totally different fight. All depends on Coenen though. Cris has advantage in mental area, strength and aggression. Last 2 can possibly be used against her. Either way it's going to be a brilliant contest.
TTT Invicta Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 3:42 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
551 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a big Marloes supporter. Tough rematch but she is a great fighter and anything can happen in mma. Will be pulling for her. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 3:51 PM
jaytrainwreck
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War Coenen Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 3:57 PM
PK618
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you have paid attention to what Coenen has been up to, she worked on her wrestling a LOT after the Cyborg fight. And her first fight for Invicta was a pretty easy win. I would love to see her beat Cyborg.
4/8/13 4:49 PM
crumbs

I hope Marloes has a good game plan for the rematch. She did well, as well as anyone could with enhanced cyborg.

I don't want to see another destruction due to a "strength" advantage, its not helping WMMA to have cyborg out there with the sloppiest cringe worthy stand up, smashing bitchs due to power and only power. it would be different if cyborg was destroying people with amazing striking skills, showing how women can be great martial artist like Anderson, One cyborg smashing after another one, isn't convincing the world that women's mma should be taken seriously. Watching Joanne calderwood throw a upward elbow, Kaufmann/smith war or Rose's flying arm bar is what real WMMA is about, and it's sad they are in the shadows of a fighter who has already been caught for steroids.( and although not fair, women caught on steroids is a bigger deal then men getting caught)

marloes is one of the best strikers in WMMA, but will that even matter with cyborgs power. Sadly probably not. Cyborg is cannibalizing her own weight division like lance Armstrong cannibalized the sport of cycling, either she keeps smashing women till they drop weight and there are no fighters left or other women start trying to even up the playing field and "enhance" them selves, either way, cyborg is bad for the sport.
4/8/13 5:01 PM
fsshariq
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love Coenen. I hope she beats Cyborgs ass!

4/8/13 5:11 PM
Cya

ttt
4/8/13 5:21 PM
Sardinian pride

Love Coenen .. Hope she wins!!;-) Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 5:23 PM
FreakDaddy
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Coenen's chances if Cyborg is off the gas........
4/8/13 8:07 PM
crumbs

TOAO -  How is cyborgs striking sloppy when she lands, cyborg cant help shes a better striker than these girls. Phone Post

Ken Griffey jr had one of the most technical sound swings in baseball, you can tell watching him swing, the smoothness, the style, he's worked on it for years.

Mark McGuire had the ugliest swing in baseball,, looked sloppy and ugly, not a swing you would want to break the Home run record with. But he did it with power.

Cyborg and McGuire are both pro athletes, so of course they are better hitters/strikers then the average human, but compared to Griffey and Anderson silva , you see where the skills stopped, and ( steriod ) power took over.

I realize you can't just take some joe blow off the street and juice him up to become the next home run king, the foundation has to be there, cyborg has the foundation and then some,im not saying she sucks out right, but she is far from the best striker is WMMA, she's not a better striker then Marloes. Watching cyborg try to throw punches is painful, it's slightly better then watching pudazinowski, but my god that stiffness.
4/8/13 9:16 PM
SHOOTMedia
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The SHOOT! - NEW VIDEO RELEASE: Miesha Tate talks "Cat" and a whole lot more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiV5yhKZTtA

Enjoy.

- SHOOTMedia
4/8/13 10:02 PM
cripplersc
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Noooo! Marloes is too cute to get hit by Cyborg 2.0 Phone Post
4/8/13 10:50 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
551 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/08/13 10:53 PM
crumbs -
TOAO -  How is cyborgs striking sloppy when she lands, cyborg cant help shes a better striker than these girls. Phone Post

Ken Griffey jr had one of the most technical sound swings in baseball, you can tell watching him swing, the smoothness, the style, he's worked on it for years.

Mark McGuire had the ugliest swing in baseball,, looked sloppy and ugly, not a swing you would want to break the Home run record with. But he did it with power.

Cyborg and McGuire are both pro athletes, so of course they are better hitters/strikers then the average human, but compared to Griffey and Anderson silva , you see where the skills stopped, and ( steriod ) power took over.

I realize you can't just take some joe blow off the street and juice him up to become the next home run king, the foundation has to be there, cyborg has the foundation and then some,im not saying she sucks out right, but she is far from the best striker is WMMA, she's not a better striker then Marloes. Watching cyborg try to throw punches is painful, it's slightly better then watching pudazinowski, but my god that stiffness.

Cyborg and Big Mac also were both caught or self admitted to being on the juice.. Phone Post 3.0

Edit: upon rereading ur post I see that u alluded to that. My bad, I should learn to read gooder or something. Derp.  

4/8/13 11:09 PM
UGCTT_zackthewop
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in love with marloes

She will win!!!

She has to Phone Post 3.0
4/9/13 3:33 AM
PeaceThroughStrength

KingofBJJ - 
TheRealMrBeefy -  I hope Marloes submits her. I'm not a big fan of Cyborg, as impressive as she has been just to pop on PEDS is a big disappointment to MMA. If she was so damn good then why did she need to cheat. Phone Post

So? Sonnen popped PEDs also, I've yet to see the pitchforks pointed by you (and some others on here) in his direction.

There's plenty of people that give Sonnen crap for TRT.
4/9/13 3:38 AM
SonOfThePeepHole

Rip coenen Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.