UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Power Clean kills my elbows??

4/8/13 4:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
VincentVega
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys, my elbows are jacked from decades of boxing and BJJ. Today was working with a trainer on my Clean, and I had a really hard time. Naturally we started the progression with just the bar to work form.

I know the bar should ultimately end up on your collar bone across your shoulders. I kept my grip lose, tried holding the bar with two fingers at the top, but couldn't get my elbows up to make my upper arms parallel to the floor. So ultimately I really had a hard time getting it up across the top of my chest because my elbows were so sore. I know many people have a hard time with range of motion in their shoulders, but that wasn't an issue. My elbows felt as if they were opening at the joint.

Anyone else experience this? Even without any bar. If I simply bring my thumbs close to my shoulders and then try to point my elbows in front of me... My elbows kill me. To be honest, they actually are sore pretty often. Even sleeping! I take fish oil and other joint supplements, don't let guys lock out my arms when training BJJ, and in general try to give them a rest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!! Phone Post
4/8/13 4:42 PM
Taku
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey V V,

This is one of many common complaints when doing the O-lifts. If you are wanting to compete in the O-lifts then you will need to suck it up, work on technique, and deal with the discomfort, If you are not competing as an O-lifter here are a few options.

1. Do just the high-pull piece and don't bother racking (catching) the weight.

2. Work on DB variants as they are often more forgving.

3. Elminate the explosive component completely, and work the Clean Dead-lift & shrug into your routine. <--My favorite option. In my demo video I am going a little too fast and only knock off a couple of nice looking reps.

TAKU

P.S. My personal feelings on the O-lifts are:

Olympic lifting is a great sport. However, when it comes to training for other sports, these lifts 1) do not transfer to improve other sport skills, 2) are not necessary for maximal power development, 3) limit the magnitude of overload on the larger muscles involved (lower body) due to weak link muscles (upper body), 4) violate safe and proper lifting techniques due to the nature of the lifts and 5) can be time-consuming regarding teaching and learning. If you do them, be careful, but remember the other exercises you perform (to address over-all body strength) will improve power potential, safely.

4/8/13 5:23 PM
VincentVega
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Taku! Really appreciate your input!!! Phone Post
4/9/13 7:38 AM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just sounds like you lack the mobility for the movement like somebody with tight hips would get sore knees, hips, and/or lower back when trying to squat ass to heels.  You probably have a tight back, shoulders, or triceps.    It's hard to say without seeing though.  Working on the mobility to comfortably hold that position would probably have carry over to other things in athletics as well as simple quality of life.  

4/9/13 11:29 AM
Taku
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Although some mobility work may make a difference. The truth is that the positions required for O-lifting success are not easy for everyone to attain. This is just one of many reasons why it can be a challenging sport for a lot of folks. Again, unless you are an O-lifter, or truly in love with these movements, there really is no reason to be doing them.

TAKU

4/9/13 11:42 AM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku - 

Although some mobility work may make a difference. The truth is that the positions required for O-lifting success are not easy for everyone to attain. This is just one of many reasons why it can be a challenging sport for a lot of folks. Again, unless you are an O-lifter, or truly in love with these movements, there really is no reason to be doing them.

TAKU

I think that's precisely why they are worthwhile.  Are they critical for training for athletics?  Certainly not.  Plenty of people at every level can and do excel without ever attempting an o-lift once.  For every day life and overall health, do the full body strength, coordination, speed, and mobility required to perform o-lifts benefit a person hollistically?  I'd say yes granted you aren't trying to push your limits to a great extent.  You are coming at it from a trainers POV, which is totally understandable.  I'm speaking from a different angle.  Kind of like how yoga is not at all essential to training for athletics, but I'd say it's still worthwhile for somebody interested in overall health.  Also, by worthwhile I'm merely saying it has merit.  I'm not saying it's essential in any case unless like you pointed somebody is a competitive o-lifter.  My $.02 at least.

4/9/13 11:46 AM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Taku in that working on O-lift technique is good thing IF you plan on competing in O-lifts.

I also agree with Taku in regards to other safer and perhaps easier alternatives and variants to O-lifts.

I don't agree with Taku in regards to O-lifts not transfering to sports skills. First off, it depends on what meant by sport skills. If Taku means complex sport skill like dribbling or shooting a basketball or dribbling and kicking a soccer ball, I would agree. HOWEVER, with such sport skills most, if not all, weight training exercise do NOT transfer.
4/9/13 2:00 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VincentVega -  Hey guys, my elbows are jacked from decades of boxing and BJJ. Today was working with a trainer on my Clean, and I had a really hard time. Naturally we started the progression with just the bar to work form.

I know the bar should ultimately end up on your collar bone across your shoulders. I kept my grip lose, tried holding the bar with two fingers at the top, but couldn't get my elbows up to make my upper arms parallel to the floor. So ultimately I really had a hard time getting it up across the top of my chest because my elbows were so sore. I know many people have a hard time with range of motion in their shoulders, but that wasn't an issue. My elbows felt as if they were opening at the joint.

Anyone else experience this? Even without any bar. If I simply bring my thumbs close to my shoulders and then try to point my elbows in front of me... My elbows kill me. To be honest, they actually are sore pretty often. Even sleeping! I take fish oil and other joint supplements, don't let guys lock out my arms when training BJJ, and in general try to give them a rest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!! Phone Post

Check out the stretch in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKLVlYt2Ioc
4/9/13 2:00 PM
Taku

m.g. said: "HOWEVER, with such sport skills most, if not all, weight training exercise do NOT transfer."

I agree.

What I mean is: There is no skill transfer from a weight room exercise to a totally different athletic skill done in competition. The principle of specificity clearly states that for a positive transfer to occur, exactness in a number of factors must be present. The fact is, no weight room exercise exactly replicates any sport skill (other than the sports of weightlifting and power lifting). That is why one should practice his / her sport skills separately, then generally improve total-body weight room strength.

TAKU

4/9/13 4:08 PM
VincentVega

JamesDean57... you are the man!!
4/9/13 4:24 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just trying to help.
4/9/13 5:54 PM
Taku

The second (Partner stretch) looks like a good one.

TAKU

4/9/13 11:13 PM
DaddyO4
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.