UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fighter dies in Michigan in unregulated bout

4/8/13 10:56 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Michigan currently regulates professional MMA, but not amateur. Given that there are far, far more amateur than professional fights, and that amateurs, being amateur, are more vulnerable to unscrupulous promoters, the need for regulation at all levels is pressing.

Nowhere have there been a greater number of reports of problems with amateur fights than in Michigan. In fact, the State of Michigan has so egregiously failed to adequately regulate amateur Mixed Martial Arts that the Association of Boxing Commissions last year took the unprecedented step of asking the member commissions to bar amateur Michigan fighters, or those who have recently competed in Michigan.

In Michigan, pre-fight screenings for amateur MMA fighters are minimal or non-existent, as all safety regulations are left entirely at the discretion of the promter. Fighters under 18 can compete. There are no extra medical requirements for fighters 35 and over. No ringside physician is required, or even an ambulance.

Last month a Michigan state house committee held a meeting to address the regulation of amateur fighters. A similar bill passed the state house in the last legislative session, but died in the state senate.

For years there have been warnings that the woeful state of regulation was jeopardising the health and safety of fighters.

And now one of them has died. Felix Elochukwu Nchikwo, a 35-year-old Nigerian living in Hamilton, Ontario, on a student visa died Saturday following his participation in an unregulated amateur MMA bout in Michigan.

The event was put on by the Amateur Fighting Club, who posted the following statement on their Facebook page.

“Last night’s event, April 6th, we lost a member of our MMA family and we would like to take this time to honor him. This is a tragic turn of events. We will keep his family and friends in our prayers and we ask you to do the same. May God be with them in this devastating time of loss. To us, this tragedy will not end today. He will remain in our hearts and on our minds. Further information will be posted at a later time.

'Showdown' Joe Ferraro has the story.

Pablo Elochukwu, who recently moved to Ontario in 2012, was apparently very excited to compete in his first MMA bout. Unfortunately, it would be his last.

The heavyweight, who sources say weighed 265 pounds for his MMA debut on Friday and was also a three-time gold-medal winner on the local grappling circuit, was competing in an unsanctioned event in Port Huron, Mich. According to sources, neither he nor his opponent was required to undergo pre-fight medicals for their bout.

The first two rounds were said to have been mostly grappling, but the inexperienced fighters both began showcasing signs of fatigue, especially in between rounds two and three.

Sometime in the third round, Elochukwu was mounted and was not intelligently defending what were deemed to be soft hammer fists. The referee made the decision to halt the bout, potentially believing that Pablo was not going to be able to improve the position he was in.

Elochukwu appeared to be fine during the announcement of the final decision and walked away on his own accord, albeit, with some assistance to ensure the fatigued fighter could make it to a seat.

When he did sit down, those around him noticed something was wrong and offered him some orange juice, believing his blood sugar may have dropped significantly. He then fell off the chair.

Paramedics showed up within minutes and apparently revived him, but took him away to be safe... Shortly thereafter, Elochukwu passed away.

Read entire article...

An autopsy was conducted on Sunday. Cause and manner of death have not yet been determined, as the coroner is awaiting the results of lab tests.

The Nigerian name Elochukwu means "God's Plan."

MMA CAGE FIGHTING
The American Legion
1026 6th St.
Port Huron. MI
April 6

Event poster:

Event Promo:

Event gallery:

Images courtesy of LeAnn Kobe Photography...
Thanks to MM-EH.ca for the initial information.

4/8/13 10:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
I hate links & marketing
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For God's sake just sanction the sport and protect people. This should never have happened. R.I.P. Phone Post
4/8/13 11:03 PM
UGCTT_granite007
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for bringing this to us, Abe Froman. It's horrible.  I send my best wishes to to his family and friends. And Rip.

4/8/13 11:16 PM
UGCTT Captain America
311 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a tragedy Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 11:25 PM
MarkRobinson
1292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that's terrible/ Phone Post
4/8/13 11:27 PM
Kings21
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is terrible news. My heart goes out to the mans family. Theres no reason these bouts should be going unregulated anymore. Very sad.
4/8/13 11:35 PM
garrote
414 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rip. terrible. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 11:38 PM
k1levelstriking
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A 17 year old kid also fought a mid twenty year old man at this event, disgusting Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 11:46 PM
Master Shredder
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

k1levelstriking - A 17 year old kid also fought a mid twenty year old man at this event, disgusting Phone Post 3.0

I dont think this is a big deal if they are same weight and close in skill level Ive seen alot of teenagers dominate full grown men in ammy MMA...RIP to the fighter that died
4/8/13 11:49 PM
k1levelstriking
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He fought a very legit brown belt in BJJ, if only there was some regulation to these events, I believe the man's life could have been saved and people could avoid unnecessary damage Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 11:53 PM
12SixElbow
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was an AMMY fight, MMA being legal or illegal there wouldn't have changed this.

It also says  a "three-time gold-medal winner on the local grappling circuit"

So he isn't new to competition.

Pre existing condition?

4/8/13 11:55 PM
12SixElbow
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate links & marketing -  For God's sake just sanction the sport and protect people. This should never have happened. R.I.P. Phone Post

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_61343_35414_60647_35453---,00.html

MMA Is sanctioned in Michigan, it was an ammy fight. (As OP stated)

4/8/13 11:57 PM
whimpy77
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -

It was an AMMY fight, MMA being legal or illegal there wouldn't have changed this.

It also says  a "three-time gold-medal winner on the local grappling circuit"

So he isn't new to competition.

Pre existing condition?

Thats was I was thinking as well Phone Post
4/9/13 12:06 AM
Rear Naked Chode
471 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_granite007 - 

Thanks for bringing this to us, Abe Froman. It's horrible.  I send my best wishes to to his family and friends. And Rip.

http://www.MixedMartialArts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2158458&forum=1&page=1&pc=40Yeah op, learn2searchfunction

4/9/13 12:07 AM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of our guys fought in the main event on the card and won a belt. I'm happy he did, because now we can take him pro and ensure that his safety is paramount. We take it upon ourselves to make sure his medicals are up to date to protect him. He has barely taken a punch in his five fights (most of which were fought under this promotion's banner), but freak tragic occurances like these happen. Unfortunately, even if the victim is found to have a heart defect or something that caused his untimely death that is not related to the fight, detractors of the sport will conveniently overlook the facts.

I'm not a fan of amateur for the very reason that it's like the wild west in that promoters decide what level of safety they take to protect these fighters who fight for free and make them money. 

In their defense, (from what I heard) there were 4 EMTs on hand. There should have been at least one MD and an ambulance. The response time would have been halved and they could have saved his life.

RIP. I hope this terrible situation prompts tighter regulation of amateur MMA.

4/9/13 12:08 AM
TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a disgrace, look at that event gallery. Whose doing security? Father time in BDUs? Fighters without cups on and wearing basketball shorts? Those do not look like medical personnel around the knocked out guy. The ref in jeans and an affliction knockoff is hilariously sad.
4/9/13 12:11 AM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 04/09/13 12:10 AM
UGCTT_granite007 - 

LOL, thanks for the credit.

4/9/13 12:20 AM
inf0
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is the deceased in those pictures?

4/9/13 12:22 AM
Sarsparilla Slim
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

garrote - Rip. terrible. Phone Post 3.0
This...
RIP fellow Canadian... Phone Post 3.0
4/9/13 12:28 AM
Kirik
1782 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/09/13 12:28 AM
The UnderGround, Mayor
Rear Naked Chode - 
UGCTT_granite007 - 

http://www.MixedMartialArts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=2158458&forum=1&page=1&pc=40Yeah op, learn2searchfunction

Given the importance of a fighter dying, and the lack of a clarifying detail in the thread linked above, I thought a separate piece was warranted, that included facts like it was unregulated, confirmation from the promoters as to the event, and a gallery to give a feel for what the event was like.

If anyone else is offended that there are two separate threads on a fighter dying, let me know.

4/9/13 12:34 AM
Rear Naked Chode
471 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 
Rear Naked Chode - 
UGCTT_granite007 - 

Given the importance of a fighter dying, and the lack of a clarifying detail in the thread linked above, I thought a separate piece was warranted, that included facts like it was unregulated, confirmation from the promoters as to the event, and a gallery to give a feel for what the event was like.

If anyone else is offended that there are two separate threads on a fighter dying, let me know.

It was just sarcasm, i hope it's obvious I'm not offended. This is a tragedy.
4/9/13 12:36 AM
UGCTT_CreepysStacheWax

Wow...

Wtf is up with everyone wearing ufc gloves.. Phone Post
4/9/13 12:40 AM
Rear Naked Chode

UGCTT_CreepysStacheWax -  Wow...

Wtf is up with everyone wearing ufc gloves.. Phone Post

Maybe more cost effective? And on topic, I hope toys leads to reform in ammy policies and not banning.
4/9/13 1:16 AM
Authority Figure

fuck.

4/9/13 1:29 AM
Foos
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn...RIP

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.