UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How real should it get?

4/9/13 4:55 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1072 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Matt "Meathead" Mitrione recently appeared on Ariel Helwani's “The MMA Hour,” and referred to transgendered WMMA fighter Fallon Fox as “a lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak," among other virulent terms.

In response, the UFC suspended the former NFL player and current heavyweight.

"The organization finds Mr Mitrione’s comments offensive and wholly unacceptable," said the UFC in an official release. "And - as a direct result of this significant breach of the UFC’s code of conduct – Mr Mitrione’s UFC contract has been suspended and the incident is being investigated."

UFC president Dana White was asked to comment, during a UFC on Fox 7 media call.

"It's one of those things, it's just a pain in the ass, you know what I mean?" White said. "First of all, he didn't even need to be doing an interview. And I'm going to talk to these guys. I'm going to talk to these guys. The only time these guys really need to be doing interviews is leading up to fights. You know? It ended up being a nightmare for him."

"What was the point of that interview? There was no point in it. Now it's caused him a bunch of headaches and problems. It's caused us a bunch of headaches and problems, for no reason whatsoever."

"He had just fought. He wouldn't fight again for another few months and he's still over there enjoying himself in Sweden, what was the point in doing that interview? You know? What was the upside in that interview? There was none... no upside."

We live in the dawn of a new era in which the lines between personal and private are ever increasingly becoming blurred. Athletes are encouraged to communicate via social networks - above all Twitter - to build a personal brand and with it gain for the fighter, the promotion, and the sport. But that form of interaction makes a habit of being real, in an era that is unforgiving of reality, and quick to judge.

Human beings wear clothes for more than warmth. We wear clothes because if everyone walked around naked, it wouldn't be pretty.

So too with media. Not everything a human being feels should be shared with the world, and thus archived for all time.

During 1968 Democratic National Convention, war protesters who understood the power of television, taunted the attacking members of the Chicago police force with the chant "the whole world is watching."

Now the whole world is watching nearly everything, forever.

There is a real danger that MMA becomes like other mainstream sports, where the public face of the athletes is a complete contrivance, with the authenticity of Ronald McDonald. Mixed Martial Arts is as real as it gets, and not coincidentally the athletes are too.

There is a profound beauty in the honest and raw nature of mixed martial arts and the people in it, but it needs a little bit of tempering. Each prominent athlete in the sport needs the media equivalent of 4 oz. gloves and no attacks the groin, but not more than that or we lose the heart of the sport which is reality and truth.

(14:58 mark)

4/9/13 4:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Aaron Becker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana feels the same way personally that Mitrione feels, he just knew better than to say it out loud
4/9/13 5:07 PM
hardboiled

Dana's a control freak, and fighters SHOULD have their OWN voice. In the end who cares what Mitrione thinks? That's his opinion, and I'm glad he voiced it. BUT now we have the UFC trying to SUPRESS fighter's voices and personalities? Gimme a break UFC
4/9/13 5:08 PM
likatiga
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a little bit of hypocrisy in all this. It strikes me every time a UFC fighter is punished for speaking out about this and that.

The head of the company is calling women cunts and publicly calling his employees idiots and all sorts of shit. But don't cross the political correct line that might harm our business.

Don't get me wrong, I get it, Dana is the boss and doesn't have to lead by example if he doesn't want to AND when an employee is making public statements that will offend and potentially harm business, then it needs to be addressed. I get it.

I just wonder where the line is. Tranny can't be called disgusting, rape can't be joked about, I get that. But Rampage through the streets in a monster truck and it's ok, title shot and all.

Makes me chuckle.

Love you Dana.
4/9/13 5:22 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

I don't think anyone (besides those wack-o's at the Culinary Union) would have even picked up on the story, the fact that they suspended him is what shed light imo.

4/9/13 5:22 PM
Masakyst
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters shouldn't give post-fight interviews? Come on now.
4/9/13 5:24 PM
ChaosOverkill
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana you should only talk when at events from now on.

4/9/13 5:28 PM
Addo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's an athlete doing an interview, and giving his opinion on some aspect of the sport, because the interviewer, and possibly others were interested to hear it. No upside? Its an INTERVIEW. Its part of the sporting world.
4/9/13 5:32 PM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is always an upside to interviews. Might help him grow his fanbase, heck even his comments and suspension probably gave him more fans (although possibly losing some in the process).
4/9/13 5:45 PM
Tankhead
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana is being terribly rash and proving how little empathy he has for the fighters. Interviews can pay, building your image does pay. But because people in this world are too retarded to know how to separate the individual from the collective, they attack the company for the fighters comments. It's pussy and cowardly to the Nth degree. Instead of taking their beef up with the source, the run to the offender's employer and fuck with his livelihood.

When I take issue with someone's actions or words, I man the fuck up and talk to that person about what I disagree with. But everyone wants rule the world, so they do stupid petty things just to feel better about themselves.

In short, most people are over sensitive pussies with a knack for overreaction. Phone Post 3.0
4/9/13 5:46 PM
Jacinto
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana should STFU until leading up to an event also then.
4/9/13 5:51 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
267 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's smart for the UFC to continue selling the UFC brand rather than risk any individual fighters becoming bigger than the company as a whole.

The UFC doesn't ever want a Floyd Mayweather in their ranks.

At the end of the day, the UFC wants to announce "The UFC is coming to your city" and sell tickets based JUST on seeing the UFC rather than because ONE particular person is fighting. Phone Post
4/9/13 5:52 PM
Dougie
849 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the UFC gives out bonuses for guys who twitter and do more social media but then tell them not to do it unless it's the lead up to a fight? Wow.

4/9/13 5:53 PM
ghost842
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The only time these guys really need to be doing interviews is leading up to fights."

LOL what?
4/9/13 5:57 PM
WolfTicketedByMartialArtsMixed

ghost842 - "The only time these guys really need to be doing interviews is leading up to fights."

LOL what?
I know right?That was probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard come out of his mouth,besides the Loretta hunt beef were he said "faggot" 10 times but did he get suspended for that???nope Phone Post 3.0
4/9/13 5:58 PM
MachidasBrew

Fuck you trying to not let them speak unless they have a fight coming up? How the fuck are they supposed to build their 'brand' fuck you Dana. We want to hear fighters, not you talking. Phone Post 3.0
4/9/13 6:02 PM
3rdLion
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did Dana get "suspended" when he dropped the "faggot" bomb in an interview?

Nope.
4/9/13 6:02 PM
epwar
657 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The only time these guys really need to be doing interviews is leading up to fights. You know?"

Says the guy who just spoke at USC and Stanford...

4/9/13 6:12 PM
RoyNelsonsTVDinner
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They can't get Diaz in front of a camera so they bitch and whine that he's a pain-in-the-ass.

Mitrione speaks publicly outside of 'fight-time' and he's an annoying asshole.

Just so I understand correctly: fighters should trailblazer the publicity wagon during fight-week and then shut the fuck up and hibernate in the months between? Seems fair.

Fuck me, they might as well just cut the bullshit and rebrand the UFC to 'Robot Wars' already. Fucking nonsense! Phone Post 3.0
4/9/13 6:13 PM
ender852
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

diid Kirik just call Rory Mac fake?

4/9/13 6:28 PM
sevr1

Dana,
I'm generally a fan of yours, but the double standard here is ridiculous. I actually am a fan of Matt because of his skills, honesty, and "The Mitrione Minute." Notice, two of those have nothing to do with him fighting or doing pre-fight interviews.

While I don't agree with the guy all the time, I find it refreshing to hear a guy say what he actually thinks. I'm sick of the clone sounding, PC, no personality having, UFC drones. Let people grow to love or hate people for who they are. Either way will make you money. I pay good money to watch certain guys win and other guys to lose.

I believe you have said on many occasions that people need to "quit being such p*****s" when it came to getting offended about something.

It's time to take your own advice and let people be themselves, have their own opinions, and realize, either way, you get paid.
4/9/13 6:57 PM
Coolface_Awesomeson

ghost842 - "The only time these guys really need to be doing interviews is leading up to fights."

LOL what?

Translation: "The only times these employees need to be speaking is when they're making me money."

*Sometimes* the DFW spews Dumb Fucking Words.

I really hope he has more regrets about stuff he's done than what he lets on in public.

(Don't ban me bro.)
4/9/13 7:36 PM
UGCTT Molsonmuscle360
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm pretty much staying out of this one because it seems like everyone is getting really worked up about this.  All I am going to say, is that if any single one of us who works for a large multi-national company, went on a television or radio show that has a fairly decent viewership, and says what Meathead said, we are going to get in trouble.

4/9/13 8:01 PM
Kings21
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure Dana hates it when fighters go on radio/tv/webshows to promote themselves and the UFC in a positive manner just the same as he hates it when Mitrione crosses the line.

C'mon Dana. Really? You're gonna tell these guys to not do any interviews unless they're fighting? What if Mitrione was scheduled to fight this weekend? Would you have canceled the fight and suspended him then?
4/9/13 8:02 PM
ChaosOverkill
473 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is this sites issue with promoting FOx and covering for Lloyd Irvin?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.