UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Heavy bag training tip (vid)

4/12/13 7:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Posty Magee
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love it.
You rarely think of the jab as a follow up for the rear roundhouse, but it works.
I also like that it ends in a stance switch.
4/13/13 3:42 AM
Ninja Lee
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Posty Magee - Love it.
You rarely think of the jab as a follow up for the rear roundhouse, but it works.
I also like that it ends in a stance switch.

We've been working a lead hook off the 1st kick too, it's a bit more common but still works great. I love the flow from stance to stance also.
4/13/13 4:47 AM
JasonGV
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ninja Lee - 
JasonGV - Im not terribly experienced with striking, but could someone tell me if that is a thai round kick, or a karate/tkd type kick?

Hi Jason, which video do you mean? Tbh the power kicks we use are typically Muay Thai in fashion, our standup is largely a mixture of Muay Thai with Karate, Kickboxing and Taekwondo.

The video embedded in the thraed; the april training tip of month.

The kick looks a little different, it seems like you are snapping at the end of the kick; is that right? If so, any reason for that style over the thai method when they tend to swing the leg like a club.

Thanks
4/13/13 7:08 AM
Ninja Lee
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/13/13 7:09 AM
<blockquote>JasonGV - <blockquote>Ninja Lee - <blockquote>JasonGV - Im not terribly experienced with striking, but could someone tell me if that is a thai round kick, or a karate/tkd type kick?<br /><br /></blockquote><br />Hi Jason, which video do you mean? Tbh the power kicks we use are typically Muay Thai in fashion, our standup is largely a mixture of Muay Thai with Karate, Kickboxing and Taekwondo.</blockquote><br />The video embedded in the thraed; the april training tip of month.<br /><br />The kick looks a little different, it seems like you are snapping at the end of the kick; is that right? If so, any reason for that style over the thai method when they tend to swing the leg like a club.<br /><br />Thanks</blockquote><br />It's like Dave shows in the video the last few moments before the kick lands you should be driving your hips in, this helps you get more force as the shin lands. The kicking leg is then quickly drawn back to a solid base stance as you return your hips ready for the next shot.<br /><br />All your strikes are going to look a little different depending on how you set up your combinations. I don't understand why you think it's not a kick in Muay Thai.
4/13/13 7:13 AM
JasonGV
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ninja Lee - <blockquote>JasonGV - <blockquote>Ninja Lee - <blockquote>JasonGV - Im not terribly experienced with striking, but could someone tell me if that is a thai round kick, or a karate/tkd type kick?<br /><br /></blockquote><br />Hi Jason, which video do you mean? Tbh the power kicks we use are typically Muay Thai in fashion, our standup is largely a mixture of Muay Thai with Karate, Kickboxing and Taekwondo.</blockquote><br />The video embedded in the thraed; the april training tip of month.<br /><br />The kick looks a little different, it seems like you are snapping at the end of the kick; is that right? If so, any reason for that style over the thai method when they tend to swing the leg like a club.<br /><br />Thanks</blockquote><br />It's like Dave shows in the video the last few moments before the kick lands you should be driving your hips in, this helps you get more force as the shin lands. The kicking leg is then quickly drawn back to a solid base stance as you return your hips ready for the next shot.<br /><br />All your strikes are going to look a little different depending on how you set up your combinations. I don't understand why you think it's not a kick in Muay Thai.

Thanks for answering, I think the reason it looks different to me is that the guy is retracting his leg faster that Im use to seeing; people usually relax the leg and just let it drop after kicking.

Cool vid.
4/13/13 7:18 AM
Vader03
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub 4 later Phone Post 3.0
4/13/13 7:21 AM
Ajm1218
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love throwing a jab off any right power shot, people don't expect it and your hips are loaded in that direction so it has a ton on it. Great videos, thanks for posting.
4/15/13 4:15 PM
Brown Balloon Knot
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed Phone Post 3.0
4/16/13 10:02 AM
Ninja Lee

JasonGV - 
Ninja Lee - <blockquote>JasonGV - <blockquote>Ninja Lee - <blockquote>JasonGV - Im not terribly experienced with striking, but could someone tell me if that is a thai round kick, or a karate/tkd type kick?<br /><br /></blockquote><br />Hi Jason, which video do you mean? Tbh the power kicks we use are typically Muay Thai in fashion, our standup is largely a mixture of Muay Thai with Karate, Kickboxing and Taekwondo.</blockquote><br />The video embedded in the thraed; the april training tip of month.<br /><br />The kick looks a little different, it seems like you are snapping at the end of the kick; is that right? If so, any reason for that style over the thai method when they tend to swing the leg like a club.<br /><br />Thanks</blockquote><br />It's like Dave shows in the video the last few moments before the kick lands you should be driving your hips in, this helps you get more force as the shin lands. The kicking leg is then quickly drawn back to a solid base stance as you return your hips ready for the next shot.<br /><br />All your strikes are going to look a little different depending on how you set up your combinations. I don't understand why you think it's not a kick in Muay Thai.

Thanks for answering, I think the reason it looks different to me is that the guy is retracting his leg faster that Im use to seeing; people usually relax the leg and just let it drop after kicking.

Cool vid.

No problem my friend, I find the faster you return to a stable position the easier it is to link combinations and to defend any counter shots.

Thanks again for the positive feedback chaps. Could anyone with the power embed this video?

http://youtu.be/eGJjMrA97bM
4/24/13 7:20 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
547 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been working a lot on the technique shown in the OP. really helped me a lot. Thank u again for posting. Phone Post 3.0
4/25/13 5:40 AM
pence1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub for later, have been looking for new ideas on the heavybag
4/25/13 6:46 AM
Easytarget
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tried this, was a good workout
4/25/13 7:13 AM
octo_dad
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In, thanks op Phone Post
4/25/13 11:53 AM
Ninja Lee

Great to hear you guys have taken the drill and used it :) It's great when people watch our videos but better if it actually helps your training.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.