UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mazzagatti: My bad call cost fighter a loss

4/10/13 9:53 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"We have all made mistakes. And we're going to make mistakes - we're human."
'Big' John McCarthy

--

Anthony Johnson and Kevin Burns fought at UFC Fight Night 14 on July 19, 2008, with Burns being awarded a KO decision, after referee Dan Mazzagatti missed an eye poke and believed Johnson's reaction was due to an uppercut.

"Nobody has given me an excuse," said an incensed Johnson afterwards. "The only thing I've heard from fans and even the staff of UFC was that it's bulls---."

Johnson won a rematch, and Nevada Athletic Commission director Keith Kizer instituted instant replay, so the story has as happy an ending as a bad call can. And now the referee, Steve Mazzagatti, acknowleddged that Johnson lost the fight due to his mistake.

"It looked to me like he got hit with an uppercut," said Mazzagatti rrecently on Inside MMA. "He went back, grabbed his face and hit the ground. Later on, we found out it was clear as day an eye poke. We didn't have the instant replay at the time...so one of those losses on Anthony's career was due to my bad call."

"I had to stick by my decision. Once you make that call, the fight's over, he rolls over and says, 'I got poked in the eye,' I already made the call. Now, I do have the ability to go back and say, 'Wow, he did get poked in the eye.' I'm turning this loss into a disqualification in Anthony's favor."

4/10/13 9:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Sandy Pantz
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He also cost Brock Lesnar his first Mir fight as well.
4/10/13 10:00 AM
Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not DAN Mazzagatti!!!

His name is HERB!! Phone Post 3.0
4/10/13 10:14 AM
Mdson
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mazzagatti isn't as bad as people say. I think it's mostly because Dana has been vocal about him. Nobody recognize anything good the refs do, but remember every bad call from years ago. Tough job!
4/10/13 10:19 AM
UGCTT_5 for fighting
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman - I respect most of these refs. Steve has reffed hundreds of fights, he's gonna fuck some up sometimes.

I used to pound fence posts and I was really good at it but every now and then, I'll fuck it up. That's just the way it goes. Phone Post
This. Phone Post
4/10/13 10:20 AM
meco24
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mdson - Mazzagatti isn't as bad as people say. I think it's mostly because Dana has been vocal about him. Nobody recognize anything good the refs do, but remember every bad call from years ago. Tough job!

Agreed. Was just going to post the same thing. It's like confirmation bias. If you think a guy sucks, you're going to see all the sucky things. If you think a guy is good, you're going to let them slide.
4/10/13 10:21 AM
parker2004
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The middle fingers of NickDiaz - He fucked Brock Lesnar too. But I forgave him on TUF this season when he did that hilarious team chant with team Sonnen in the team circle haha Phone Post 3.0

Lol what episode? Must of missed it.
4/10/13 10:24 AM
zebers3
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mdson - Mazzagatti isn't as bad as people say. I think it's mostly because Dana has been vocal about him. Nobody recognize anything good the refs do, but remember every bad call from years ago. Tough job!

Yeah, he certainly has some pretty high profile fuck-ups but he also made some great calls. I think Dan Miragliotta is currently the worst big time ref.
4/10/13 10:26 AM
MachidasBrew

All good, thanks for acknowledging it! Phone Post 3.0
4/10/13 10:28 AM
UGCTT_SidRival
508 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP24 - Damn you Dan Mazzagatti! Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0
4/10/13 10:29 AM
kungfugrip

i respect his for saying this. Mistakes happen. People act like a mistake is actually an attempt to harm someone. At least he is honest.

Just like the ump the other day ball a 3rd strike. He thought it was a strike at 2 seconds he has to make a call. Looking back he realizes he made a mistake. Good for him. He will try to be better tomorrow.

It's worse when someone makes mistakes and refuses to admit it.
4/10/13 10:31 AM
Entreri

Mistakes happen.
4/10/13 10:31 AM
chaplinshouse
713 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/10/13 10:35 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter

Voted up.
4/10/13 10:37 AM
BigWilliam
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana has been shooting off about the guy forever, but he's not a bad ref.
4/10/13 10:39 AM
holly9000
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's no Kim Winslow, that's for sure.
4/10/13 10:48 AM
chaplinshouse
713 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my favorite steve moment was when he tried to tell Nick Diaz "NO TALKING!" in the cage.  then rogan says "no talking?? i didn't know that was a rule"  That's not a "only human" moment that's injecting your personal opinion into the rule book

4/10/13 11:54 AM
tdotguy

'Mistakes happen' is not enough to warrant the habitual bad calls that Mazzagatti has made. Any ref that has caused a loss on a fighters record should be released, Mazzagatti has done this twice and to this day is still reffing high profile fights........

Was it a mistake or gross negligence when he asked a KNOWN deaf fighter if he could see and then stopped the fight when he didnt answer?

Jones v Hammil

Theres just no excuse for some of the shit that he has done and its clear to anyone who follows MMA that he was just not made to be a ref, he does not posses the qualities required to make critical decisions on the fly.
4/10/13 12:24 PM
blushgirl412
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/10/13 1:06 PM
Reffing any combat sport is super super tough because of the pressure and that everyone thinks that they can do a better job when realistically most haven't even reffed one fight in their whole life. Unless you are a referee or have walked a mile in Maz's shoes, most people are just armchair QBs and when it comes down to it they wouldnt be the all star referee that they think they would be. Props to Maz for being a real man and admitting his mistakes.

Referees are not robots and humans do make mistakes. Big John screwed up in Sakuraba vs Conan and Bustamante vs Lindland but its funny how people have forgotten or let him off the hook. Most people aren't even aware that Maz has been reffing for like 20 years or something with a ton of fights under his belt and even comes from a Muay Thai background.

Plus he seems like a good guy (paramedic, firefighter&family man) who honestly seems to really care about the fighters and the sport. Until people actually talk to him or ref the same amount of fights as he has, the bashing really isn't warranted because I've been a fan since the beginning and have seen ALL refs make mistakes. In fact no sport has perfect officials because people are human and humans make mistakes.

Ive been to Vegas a few times, have met him at a few fights over the years and have chatted with him briefly and he couldn't have been more friendly.

Plus, Maz will put his whole body out there to make a stop. Not all refs do that so that in itself should warrant some respect.
4/10/13 12:40 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mdson - Mazzagatti isn't as bad as people say. I think it's mostly because Dana has been vocal about him. Nobody recognize anything good the refs do, but remember every bad call from years ago. Tough job!
Mazzagatti is just insanely inconsistent, although he has gotten better in the past couple years. A wild card. One fight he'll make a perfect stoppage or decision and then the next he'll let guys sit on the ground and do nothing for 4 minutes or do what he did in the Brock vs Mir fight. Phone Post
4/10/13 1:54 PM
Fight Life Flip
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fight Life Media, Chief Exec. Manager
I have to give tons of respect to the refs and judges out there. I personally know how tough it is, having been an MMA referee and judge in the past. If the promoter is vocal about you in any way, good or bad, he can make or break your reputation.

It takes a lot for a person to come forward and admit they messed up like that. All the great refs in combat sports have f@¢ked up somewhere in their career. I'm not saying he is a great or terrible ref. I'm just saying its good to acknowledge your mistakes and learn from them. He's clearly not going anywhere so his progress and improvement is important to the sport. Phone Post 3.0
4/10/13 1:57 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Good to see him make those comments. More and more Refs need to speak up and help commissions IMPROVE.

4/10/13 2:02 PM
Smellde Gluve
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The middle fingers of NickDiaz - 
chaplinshouse -

Lmao wow Phone Post 3.0

I made this and came here to post it but someone did before me.

Glad it's getting used!

4/10/13 2:07 PM
epwar
638 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

meco24 - 

Agreed. Was just going to post the same thing. It's like confirmation bias. If you think a guy sucks, you're going to see all the sucky things. If you think a guy is good, you're going to let them slide.

Indeed, Mazzagatti got virtually no hate until Dana cried about Brock/Mir.  Then the Dana-ites were all over him.

4/10/13 2:16 PM
chaplinshouse

Smellde Gluve - 
The middle fingers of NickDiaz - 
chaplinshouse -

Lmao wow Phone Post 3.0

I made this and came here to post it but someone did before me.

Glad it's getting used!

i forgot who made it but saved off a copy since it's fucking beautiful.  u should put a smelldegluve watermark on your work like gordo does 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.