UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> CSAC gets new life under Andy Foster

4/10/13 2:39 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1031 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Late last year the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) was on the verge of insolvency and disbanding. The agency ended the last fiscal year with $23,000 in the bank, enough for two days of operations.

Now, under the direction of new Executive Director Andy Foster, the commission has new life. A key lawmaker, State Sen. Curren Price Jr. (D-Los Angeles), is now willing to give the body a second chance.

Patrick McGreevy of the LA Times has the story.

Price said he will introduce legislation that will extend the sunset date for the commission by two years. He said he has support from a majority of the members of the Senate Business, Professions and Economic Development Committee, which he chairs.

The panel held a hearing Monday on changes being made by new executive officer Andy Foster and a commission with two new members appointed by Gov. Jerry Brown.

"We've got some new blood coming in, so I am fully prepared to give the commission another couple of years to work it out and make sure they are on the right track," Price said after the hearing.

State Auditor Elaine Howle said the agency had mismanaged its finances and was not doing enough to protect boxers. She said the state should consider transferring the Athletic Commission’s day-to-day operations to the state Department of Consumer Affairs.

Price said he was outraged that the agency has been paying little pension money to boxers, and that it was spending too much on administration.

But he said he felt better Monday when Foster said that the pension fund has begun making more payments, administrative costs are down, and the agency is operating under an austerity plan aimed at restoring solvency.

Read entire article...

4/10/13 4:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PeaceThroughStrength
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"it was spending too much on administration"

Why would this surprise anyone? the entire state is mismanaged.
4/10/13 4:20 PM
WOOFticket
343 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like Billy Corgan(sp?) Phone Post
4/10/13 4:24 PM
WOOFticket
343 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well... kinda.. Phone Post
4/10/13 4:36 PM
jscorbett
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Andy is the man.

No cabbage patch kids comments.

Everyone with a Team Can hat may hide it behind their backs. Phone Post
4/10/13 6:41 PM
abi
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I rolled with Andy a little over 2 months ago at my gym.  He is a tough bastard...

4/10/13 10:24 PM
Tru
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Click For MMA Videos
abi - 

I rolled with Andy a little over 2 months ago at my gym.  He is a tough bastard...

Love this guy.  Had heard them say his name at events recently and sure enough it was him.  He came to Iraq to oversee the fights when we were there to entertain the troops.

In Iraq a bunch of us went to check out the rec area and where the soldier's work out.   Sure enough we decide to roll ...sure enough in less than 2 seconds he nearly broke my arm and gave me a minor shiner on my eye locking it in with his legs.  I quickly realized the joke was on me.  counting ammy's and pro's he won his first 14 fights, all by submission lol.

4/10/13 10:38 PM
crowbar
654 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" The agency ended the last fiscal year with $23,000 in the bank, enough for two days of operations"
4/10/13 10:47 PM
Kirik
1598 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Andy Foster is saving MMA in California.

4/10/13 11:02 PM
kinsey3745
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

TTT... Phone Post
4/11/13 12:39 AM
abi

Kirik -

i hope so. Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 1:05 AM
BJ_Penmanship
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

abi -
Kirik -

i hope so. Phone Post 3.0
True that!

Couldn't possibly be worse than Armando Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 9:31 AM
Voodoo
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

Glad to hear Andy is doing the great job I knew he would!
4/12/13 11:19 AM
CindyO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like this gentleman needs to join the UG and do a Q and A:)

Cindy

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.