UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator to run 4-Man tournamemts for Summer Serie

4/10/13 3:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Summer Series

HW, LHW and BW, all will be 4 Man Tournaments this Summer

Can't link on phone, seen it on Sherdog forum

I wonder if the prize money will be less, I would imagine it would be for a shortened format
4/10/13 3:34 PM
SupesUp
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moving away from full tournoment to ensure the matches they want are more likely for finals? Phone Post
4/10/13 3:36 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SupesUp -  Moving away from full tournoment to ensure the matches they want are more likely for finals? Phone Post

It said they 8 man format will he back in the fall, the Summer Series has been only a couple events in the past
4/10/13 3:36 PM
SupesUp
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liquidrob -
SupesUp -  Moving away from full tournoment to ensure the matches they want are more likely for finals? Phone Post

It said they 8 man format will he back in the fall, the Summer Series has been only a couple events in the past
Good, wouldn't want bellator to lose their unique features Phone Post
4/10/13 3:37 PM
liquidrob

Can't link it on my phone for some reason

The site is called TheFlyingKneeMMA
4/10/13 3:37 PM
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, I think its to fit 3 tournaments on 3 shows.

You do HW/BW 2 fights each on the first card, thats your main card. the next event you have the two finals and the two opening fights from the LHW tournament. then the third show you have the finals of LHW and one or two title fights, ASkren/Koreshkov and Chandler/Jansen.

something like that.

4/10/13 3:38 PM
flawlessvictory
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
4/10/13 3:39 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
TTT.
4/10/13 3:42 PM
liquidrob

It works well for thr HW and LHW because they can stack them , they don't have much in those divisions yet, there 2 weakest overall

BW they have some talent, but they can always run another in the fall, I don't think they need to run a FW and LW in the fall just yet, both champs have 2 fights lined up already

4/10/13 3:44 PM
Tomato Can
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My preferred matchups would be:

HW
Hale vs. Magomedov
Minakov vs. Martinez

LHW
Mo vs. Babalu
Zayats vs. M'Pumbu

BW
Galvao vs. Leone
Marx vs. Rivera

Is Joe Warren semi-retired now? He won his last fight but that was like 6 months ago and now he's gonna be a coach on that reality show. I'm assuming he won't be in this tournament.
4/10/13 3:45 PM
liquidrob

LHW can be

King Mo
M'Pumbu unless he finally goes to MW
Babalu is he still wants to fight
Zayats

Or a prospect thrown in
4/10/13 3:47 PM
liquidrob

TC, they just signed HW Raphael Butler, 5-0

I think they will do another BW in the fall and Warren will be in it, I don't think he is done yet
4/10/13 3:49 PM
Chris27

HW/LHW 4 man is fine but yeah it does suck for BW.

They should just do HW/BW cause they need a contender in those divs but the problem is Mo lost and fucked their plans up.

They just ran a rather weak LHW tournament, why would you run another one? Because Mo lost and they invested money and promotion in him and they cant afford to have him sit out till the spring.

As for HW tournament if the rumors are true about Lashley and Barnett a 4 man tournament is fine.

Honestly, do we really need to see Prindle, Santos, Hale and Sparks in the tournament?

If you had Lashley for the name value, Barnett as your big signing, Minakov as your top prospect and then someone like Ivanov or Martinez or one of the other Russian HW, thats a solid 4 man tournament.

4/10/13 3:50 PM
epwar
638 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4 man tournaments?  That some bullshit.  Just a way to get guys like King Mo into the title scene quicker.  Especially since they did an 8 man LHW tournament during the 2012 summer series.  

4/10/13 3:55 PM
zebers3
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah this seems to be because of two things, 1) to get the fighters they want (like King Mo) to a title shot and 2) they don't necessarily have enough talent to fill an 8-man tourney without it being ridiculous.

Makes sense for LHW and HW, but BW could use a real tourney. But I suppose Dantas needs an opponent quick, otherwise he'll be sitting out for another while.
4/10/13 3:55 PM
liquidrob

I'm sure Mo is a factor, buy also remember HW and BW have no fights for the champs

They need challengers quickly, those 2 divisions are there only issues left, much higher chance of finishing a tournament with 4 than 8, less chance of a delay of a title fight, still a chance of injury of course, but this will up there chances of getting a fast contender for 2 champs so they don't sit forever waiting for a fight
4/10/13 3:57 PM
liquidrob

Dantas and Volkov need fights quickly, this is less risk
4/10/13 3:58 PM
Tomato Can
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liquidrob - TC, they just signed HW Raphael Butler, 5-0

I think they will do another BW in the fall and Warren will be in it, I don't think he is done yet

Butler sucks. He was a mediocre journeyman boxer who just switched to MMA a couple of years ago and is routinely 20 pounds overweight. He is absolutely nothing to get excited about.
4/10/13 3:59 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
795 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool Phone Post 3.0
4/10/13 4:26 PM
Chris27

liquidrob - I'm sure Mo is a factor, buy also remember HW and BW have no fights for the champs

They need challengers quickly, those 2 divisions are there only issues left, much higher chance of finishing a tournament with 4 than 8, less chance of a delay of a title fight, still a chance of injury of course, but this will up there chances of getting a fast contender for 2 champs so they don't sit forever waiting for a fight

Mo is the main factor for this whole thing imo, they could have easily run normal 8 man HW/BW tournaments this summer but they added a third because of Mo.

Adding a third meant making them each 4 man instead of 8. Mo is the entire reason, they arent doing LHW in the fall which means they would have to wait for the spring and considering the promotion they put into Mo they couldnt have him sit around for a year.
4/10/13 4:45 PM
liquidrob

Chris27 - 
liquidrob - I'm sure Mo is a factor, buy also remember HW and BW have no fights for the champs

Mo is the main factor for this whole thing imo, they could have easily run normal 8 man HW/BW tournaments this summer but they added a third because of Mo.

Adding a third meant making them each 4 man instead of 8. Mo is the entire reason, they arent doing LHW in the fall which means they would have to wait for the spring and considering the promotion they put into Mo they couldnt have him sit around for a year.

I agree Mo is a factor or even a big factor, but I think you would agree that Dantas and Volkov need fights in thr fall the lastest and this helps that, 1 less fight ups the chances of getting a tournament winner for the fall title fight

4/10/13 5:39 PM
liquidrob

I hope Pitbull drops down to BW for this
4/10/13 7:02 PM
epwar
638 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator: Where Title Shots are Earned, Not Given*

*unless we really want you to be champ, then we try to give you the easiest path; try not to screw it up this time.

4/10/13 7:13 PM
FixedPartialArts

epwar - 

Bellator: Where Title Shots are Earned, Not Given*

*unless we really want you to be champ, then we try to give you the easiest path; try not to screw it up this time.

That's a very speculative allegation of their motives. Bellator was always going to have trouble fitting multiple tournaments in their typical summer series schedule, 1 event per month starting in June and running until August. They needed to fit a minimum of 2 tourneys in during the summer series to accommodate the champs in the HW and BW divisions, who would be waiting too long as it is. With 8-man tournaments that would have meant 8 tourney fights on the first card. They couldn't have fit near that many on TV, so a few would have needed to have been relegated to the prelims. 6 fights, which the first rounds of 3 4-man tourneys would provide, is doable, by rushing, relegating one, or getting a little bigger slot if TNA wasn't on that night.

That said, I hate the decision. Be flexible about the schedule, and add more shows. Don't be flexible about the amount of participants required to constitute a tourney. 4 doesn't really constitute a tourney to me. 8 was the perfect number. Yes, now they can have more control over the winner by making favorable match-ups, but that doesn't mean that was their motivation behind it. They were going to need to be creative anyways to fit tourneys in.
4/10/13 7:50 PM
liquidrob

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/04/bellators-summer-series-returns-with-three-four-man-tournaments

Bellator's 'Summer Series' returns with three four-man tournaments

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Apr 10, 2013 at 4:30 pm ET

Bellator MMA will return this summer for another "Summer Series" of tournaments, but it will do so with a twist on its regular format.

Instead of eight-fighter tournaments like it has done throughout its run, Bellator this summer will put on three four-man tourneys. The promotion announced the plans on Wednesday, though it has not yet announced dates, locations or participants in the tournament events, which will air on Spike TV.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously reported, the tournaments will take place in the heavyweight, light heavyweight and bantamweight divisions.

When the promotion returns to its regular weekly Thursday time slot this fall on Spike, the tournaments will revert to eight-man events.

"We are always striving to enhance every aspect of the Bellator formula for our fighters and fans," Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney stated. "Our champions consistently defending their titles against world-class challengers who've earned their title shots creates a win/win for those two crucial groups. Three stacked four-man tournaments over our 'Summer Series' on Spike is another great step in our growth and evolution."

This past month, Rebney told MMAjunkie.com he was especially looking to target the heavyweight division this summer to create the next challenger for champion Alexander Volkov, who won the title against Richard Hale this past December after previous champ Cole Konrad retired, vacating the title.

"I would love to do heavyweight over the summer," Rebney said in March. "So that's where I've been focused with the team at talent development."

In the light heavyweight tournament, the next in line for the belt will be crowned. In Bellator's Season 8 205-pound tourney, Emanuel Newton beat Mikhail Zayats to advance to a title shot against Attila Vegh. It's possible that fight could take place as part of the 'Summer Series,' with the four-man tourney winner advancing to meet whoever comes out of Vegh-Newton as champion.

And bantamweight titleholder Eduardo Dantas this past month beat Marcos Galvao to retain his belt. Galvao won the Season 6 bantamweight tournament, but Bellator hasn't held a tourney in that division since then.

Bellator's "Summer Series" is expected to take place with one event per month in June, July and August before Season 9 begins in September.

For more on Bellator's upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.