UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gustafson wants Machida, or fill-in fight next

4/10/13 11:07 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1031 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Alexandar Gustafson was scheduled to fight Gegard Mousasi in this past Saturday's UFC on Fuel TV 9 main event, but instead was forced out of the bout after suffering a cut. Today his trainer revealed what his fight wanted next

Gustafsson trainer Eric Delfierro today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the Swedish light-heavyweight recently made two requests to UFC matchmakers: be an injury replacement for the division's next title fight, or face ex-champ Lyoto Machida.

Of course, since Lyoto Machida is the No. 1 contender, he might wind up doing that anyway if the winner of an upcoming title bout between champ Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen is hurt or takes an extended break. Jones and Sonnen headline UFC 159 later this month.

Machida, who outpointed Dan Henderson to secure a title shot, recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he'd rather stay active than wait for the opportunity.

read entire article...

4/10/13 11:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, that is a tough fight to call. I wonder what the odds would be.

I think Machida's superior kicking game would be the difference should they fight.

4/10/13 11:12 PM
FunDeath4u
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Alexander would give Machida a rough night. He is like a longer healthier version of Shogun.
4/10/13 11:15 PM
John M
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/10/13 11:17 PM
I like this idea. Since there's so much controversy on who should get the title shot, why not have the top guys battle it out. This makes a lot of sense and if Machida's open to it get this shit on the Boston card as the co-main.
4/10/13 11:16 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FunDeath4u - I think Alexander would give Machida a rough night. He is like a longer healthier version of Shogun.

He doesn't have the kicks that Shogun does, which is why Shogun was able to give Machida so many problems when they fought - his leg kicks in particular.

Alex is longer than Shogun, but he's also primarily a boxer and therefore he can't take full advantage of his length.

4/10/13 11:17 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would be epic if Machida beat someone as big as Gustafsson Phone Post
4/10/13 11:18 PM
Acidic

Alex is nothing like Shogun nor is he the boxer people make him to believe. People forget when you transfer to MMA and start training in multiple disciplines most the time your main discipline declines. Shogun showed a lot of holes that Gustaf had that Machida would take advantage of. Its all about styles and Machida has a good style to beat Gus as much as you guys give Gus credit for his boxing.

4/10/13 11:19 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gus takes this fight. Not easily, but he does. Phone Post 3.0
4/10/13 11:22 PM
Kid Charlemagne
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -
FunDeath4u - I think Alexander would give Machida a rough night. He is like a longer healthier version of Shogun.

He doesn't have the kicks that Shogun does, which is why Shogun was able to give Machida so many problems when they fought - his leg kicks in particular.

Alex is longer than Shogun, but he's also primarily a boxer and therefore he can't take full advantage of his length.

Indeed Phone Post 3.0
4/10/13 11:29 PM
MasterofMartialArts
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -

Holy shit, you took this right out of my brain, first thing I thought was, fucking leg kicks!! Adding kicks to his arsenal would make him much more dangerous IMO, especially because of his length. Phone Post 3.0
4/10/13 11:38 PM
behrens14
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a Gus fan but if he lets Machida hit him like he let Shogun hit him then he's going to go to sleep.
4/10/13 11:42 PM
ranier wolfcastle
843 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes. sounds epic

4/10/13 11:55 PM
daxfactor

Guaranteed that machida doesn't take this fight. He will wait for the winner of jones/sonnen. Too dangerous IMO. Phone Post 3.0
4/10/13 11:55 PM
Rob San Soo

Machida needs this fight to get ready for bones Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 12:23 AM
FunDeath4u

The Mauler is a better opponent for Jones than Machida. He is way bigger and has way better reach than The Dragon. He is something like 15 and 1. Machida is the underdog here not Gus. I like Machida, but he is going to get hit, I think he will lose by TKO in a hopefully awesome fight.
4/11/13 12:24 AM
FunDeath4u

daxfactor - Guaranteed that machida doesn't take this fight. He will wait for the winner of jones/sonnen. Too dangerous IMO. Phone Post 3.0

True story.
4/11/13 12:34 AM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rambo John J - 
Tharian - So he wants to not fight the #10 and then ask for the #1 over a phantom cut ? Shady !

Ya, how about giving Mousasi the fight that they had both worked for.

Doesn't make much sense. He is avoiding looking bad against Mousasi.

It is his fault the fight he dropped out of the fight, not anybody else.

Fucking man up and give Gegard a fight you takedown-shooting "mauler".

Mousasi is about to have knee surgery and probably be out another 6-12 months. So Gustafson is a coward now because he wants to fight someone more proven and not wait who knows how long for Mousasi?

You people never cease to amaze me.

4/11/13 12:42 AM
Kid Charlemagne
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There were some threads (when news of cut first broke) that people speculated that it was a possibility chael wouldn't fight jones and Gus would step in. I have no proof, to say the least.

What other "fill ins" would be appropriate any time soon? Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 1:39 AM
mchase126
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit's Face Broke My Hand - 
Rambo John J - 
Tharian - So he wants to not fight the #10 and then ask for the #1 over a phantom cut ? Shady !

Ya, how about giving Mousasi the fight that they had both worked for.

Doesn't make much sense. He is avoiding looking bad against Mousasi.

It is his fault the fight he dropped out of the fight, not anybody else.

Fucking man up and give Gegard a fight you takedown-shooting "mauler".

Mousasi is about to have knee surgery and probably be out another 6-12 months. So Gustafson is a coward now because he wants to fight someone more proven and not wait who knows how long for Mousasi?

You people never cease to amaze me.

This. A lot.
4/11/13 2:36 AM
taltul

I just cant believe the fact that a fighter
who never fought one of the top 3 in the world
is pumped up as the new john jones by the ufc
i mean come on, the only time A.G ever had a real fight with a rising star was with phil davis...and what a suprise, he lost
forgive me for not crediting him for winning against declining shogun, thiago silva (who was out for a year prior to this fight) and the almighty Vladimir Matyushenko
all of these made A.G believe that he can actually compete at the highest level, but the truth is that he is nothing more than a really really pale version of jones minus the domination and the creativity

4/11/13 2:41 AM
taltul

I forgot to add that they share really really similar heart
one refused to fight and the other had 3 stitches and ran to the a.c

4/11/13 2:43 AM
lgi

Rampage beat Machida in a controversial decision, Gus can win an unanimous decision. Phone Post
4/11/13 3:19 AM
Don_Dada
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gus should be made to fight Mousasi. Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 3:25 AM
DoomFarmer
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FinestScotch -

Definitely give him the "fill-in" option.

Uncle Dana didn't seem impressed anyways, so I doubt he gets a #1 contender match.

. Phone Post
4/11/13 3:26 AM
DoomFarmer
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don_Dada - Gus should be made to fight Mousasi. Phone Post 3.0
Agreed Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.