UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Sometimes quick reflexes suck...

4/11/13 1:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dr. Shocker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So my truck is now 6 years old and just about to hit the 100k mark. Needless to say, it would be awesome to have an upgrade right about now. i'd get another truck probably.

So last night i am driving up a street (the one that 49er's is on in Aiea), there is a line of cars going the opposite direction waiting for their light to turn green. As i am driving in the opposite lane without traffic, a car comes shooting out in front causing me to slam on the breaks. i was literally inches from T-boning her dummass and a day away from buying a new car if it had not been for my stupid fast reflexes!

And this is not the first time, the damn things ruined a new car upgrade possibility! And not to mention the lesson some of these douche drivers need to be taught.
4/11/13 3:06 PM
FCTV808
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i know of what you speak. i am always paranoid of getting rear ended so i'm watchful... it has cost me many a paint job and spoiler kit.

4/11/13 9:03 PM
Dr. Shocker

Spacial and situational awareness is a curse!?
4/11/13 11:01 PM
FCTV808
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes it is. dumb people get new everything.

smart people suck.

4/12/13 4:48 AM
JIMMYNAKS
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dr. Shocker - Spacial and situational awareness is a curse!?
Truth Phone Post 3.0
4/12/13 4:51 AM
JIMMYNAKS
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Years of working out of a car I can tell many things. One is when a person is going to throw their cigarette out the window and the other is when a car is going to switch lanes even if they don't signal.

This awareness has kept me from getting killed on my bike more times than I can count.

Shitty drivers suck but in the end when you collide, there are no winners. Unless the other guy dies from his stupidity and you don't get charged with his death. Then you're a winner! Phone Post 3.0
4/12/13 5:50 AM
Sgt. Slaphead
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A decade of motorcycle daily riding......I know when they gonna jump lanes, left turns and pull U-turn in the middle of the road.
4/12/13 1:10 PM
Dr. Shocker

FCTV808 - 

yes it is. dumb people get new everything.

smart people suck.

It's funny, i was just thinking yesterday, had i been stoned out my mind i prolly would have gotten a slap on the wrist and a brand new truck!
4/12/13 1:13 PM
Dr. Shocker

The sad thing is there are fender benders EVERY day here in our great state, and everyone thinks it's normal.

i have driven weeks on end in OR and WA without seeing one!

WE WIN?
4/12/13 1:29 PM
FCTV808

yes we win and the laws and culture protect the special driving olympics as if they were the special olympics.

4/12/13 5:46 PM
Moke
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never look at people's blinkers. Sometimes people's blinkers are on yet they don't switch lanes or don't even know their blinker is on. Other times people don't use the blinker. Other times people only use the blinker to say, "I'm cutting in front of you even though there's no room. You need to slam on your brakes or get forced out of the lane, either way, I don't care, but at least I have my blinker on." (usually a cab driver...don't get me started on cab drivers).

So yeah, I don't give a shit about people and their blinkers. What's foolproof is peoples' car's body-language. This will ALWAYS tell you what they are gonna do or if they are gonna switch lanes.

What I WASN'T ready for was the total wreck I barely avoided coming back to town through Aina Haina after Relson's promo last Saturday.

I was going about 40 flowing with traffic, approaching a green lighted intersection. I had reached that point of distance to the light where I knew that if it changed to yellow from any point from here on out, I would no longer need to stop...I was that close to the light.

What I didn't see (because of the trees in the divider) was a fire truck waiting for the light to change so he could go through the intersection to my left.

The pair of cars in front of me COULD see this and also saw that he was apparently already making his way into the intersection and then apparently used a device to instantly switch the lights...so the cars in front of me stopped.

So I blink and suddenly realize that the light has impossibly changed to red already and the cars in front of me were stopped/stopping...I on the other hand was still going 40 and only a few car lengths away as I cleared the trees, saw the fire truck, the switched light, and the stopped cars.

It was absolutely impossible to stop in time so I started braking hard while trying to escape my lane. The problem was there was a guy in the lane next to me where I needed to escape to, and he was also trying not to slam into the people in front him, though he had one extra car length of space compared to me.

I had no choice and I tried to thread the needle, figuring I'm going to have to side-swipe him and the car in front of me rather than just slamming into the car in front of me.

But he was skidding and so slowed down less than I did which gave me enough room to squeeze in behind him while JUST missing his tail light and the tali light of the guy in front of me. I had the little guy in the toddler seat, so it extra freaked me out.

But here's the thing. It appears to me fire trucks have the ability to change lights with a device on board? I cannot explain what happened unless this is the case. And if so, those guys were PRICKS for using it on a lazy Saturday just to drive back to the station from lunch. They almost fucked me up big time.
4/12/13 6:18 PM
fragile

Our fire engines have an opticon. Presumably HFD/HPD do as well.
4/12/13 7:33 PM
Moke
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...interesting. Where might one acquire one of these devices?
4/13/13 6:15 AM
Robobear
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HFD and EMS got Em.  Not HPD.

4/13/13 2:15 PM
FCTV808

yes, but hpd has guns and should have them mounted to the hoods of their cars imo. like this:

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.