UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Weidman: I want to shock the world

4/11/13 6:02 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Chris Weidman is scheduled to fight Anderson Silva at UFC 162 in July and of course is coming into the fight a huge underdog. But that doesn't deter his spirit and speaking with The Fight Network, he explains why:

"I'm a huge fan of Anderson Silva. He's one of my favorite fighters to watch. Obviously he has 16 fights in a row with the UFC, defended his belt, whatever it is. He does a great job, he is so confident. He is beating most of guys before they even walk in the cage. Once they get in the cage with them, he does such a great job of making them feel like they do not belong in the cage with him, like, ‘Are you joking me? You are not on my level.' He makes them feel so uncomfortable that they just want to break. He has them broken and then he can hit them with whatever he wants and then he looks like a freaking God.

I agree and I do think he is the best of all time. He is pound-for-pound the best, but I think I'm better. I think I can beat him. There's a lot of motivation for the fight. One of the biggest for me is to prove all of those people that actually think I'm going to get killed and see him as unbeatable. I can't wait to prove them wrong. I want to make it look easy out there. I want to shock the world."

transcription by MMAMania.com...

4/11/13 6:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Warriormmd
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just hope it's a competitive fight Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 6:20 PM
ShoreBreaker420
1024 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All aboard Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 6:20 PM
WOOFticket
454 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
4/11/13 6:24 PM
Entreri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Weidman plays his cards right, decision or a huge shocker of a submission.
4/11/13 6:25 PM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He will beat AS and rightly so, hes a awesome guy! Phone Post
4/11/13 6:26 PM
SLUGSHOT_331
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No Phone Post
4/11/13 6:32 PM
Filo_Beto

Chris weidman is going to shock the world. If Weidman can hold anderson down for half the time chael did he's getting submitted.
4/11/13 6:37 PM
TuLegit

You want to.... But you won't. Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 6:38 PM
Matrixkick
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Time to get durty! Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 6:43 PM
Filo_Beto

Edited: 04/11/13 6:43 PM
duplicate.
4/11/13 6:48 PM
TheGoldenRule
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would enjoy seeing Chris win, no Matter how. .. though I have nothing but respect for AS, and believe he's the GOAT. Phone Post
4/11/13 6:55 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sadly it won't make him a star.

Anderson losing to Chris will quickly become endless articles of how AS got old, is shot, etc rather than proclaiming Weidman the king.

Weidman's big win aired on Fuel.

Weidman needs a PPV win or FOX win over a name bigger than Munoz.

Off of that win he gains total credibility and as such a win over AS becomes more than a magical upset but instead a crowning of a new dominant fighter.

Chris can beat Silva.

It's just that if he does it hurts the UFC more to lose Silva as champ on PPV than it will having Weidman with the belt.

Weidman versus anyone other than AS in a rematch will do less numbers than AS versus anyone else.

It's a good fight, one he can win but he wasn't built enough to the public or promoted nearly enough and a Primetime series won't be enough to change things overnight. Phone Post
4/11/13 7:07 PM
J_Swift

I don't sense much confidence. He "thinks" he can instead of "knows" he can. He's already being mentally defeated. Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 7:15 PM
orcus

Weidman: "I want to win this fight!"

4/11/13 7:15 PM
Leck Brosnar

So happy that Weidman actually gets his shot before Anderson retires, he truly is the only one at 185 to even have a small chance to win.
4/11/13 7:27 PM
inf0
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman will last as long as AS wants him too. No longer.

4/11/13 7:28 PM
inf0
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pitbull8200 - Sorry also Dan Henderson at 185 which is not really a great accomplishment seeing as how 185 Hendo is not a beast. Phone Post 3.0

HAHHAHAHAHAHA!

You're a fuckin retard, confirmed.

4/11/13 7:40 PM
SLUGSHOT_331
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

Weidman: "I want to win this fight!"

lol

4/11/13 7:58 PM
WOOFticket
454 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
4/11/13 8:08 PM
Authority Figure

4/11/13 8:14 PM
Willin
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matrixkick - 
Time to get durty! Phone Post 3.0

4/11/13 8:50 PM
OftheWay

Leck Brosnar - So happy that Weidman actually gets his shot before Anderson retires, he truly is the only one at 185 to even have a small chance to win.
Wiedman's gonna get smoked. He's good, but is WAY over hyped. Phone Post
4/11/13 10:50 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris Weidman beating Anderson Silva would be treated like a magical upset rather than, "Wow, Weidman is the best".

Marketing.

How does it work?

When the guy earned his shot on Fuel which has less viewers than Jenna Marbles on YouTube it does make it so the PPV buying fans have no clue as to his legitimacy.

Uriah Hall if he crushes on Saturday will be more believable from a marketing perspective because of TUF than Weidman.

Guaranteed the PPV sells because it's Silva but switch Weidman coming off of Munoz with Hill being "scariest guy ever from TUF" and you DRAW money.

I'm not denying Weidman.

No one HERE is.

We are the hardcore fans.

Now go get your average Brock fan, TUF viewer and find out if they'd pay 60 bucks to see Chris Weidman.

Sadly his drawing power is not commensurate with his ability and THAT was all I was pointing out.

A Weidman win gets treated like Buster Douglas beat Tyson by the casual fan who still thinks Chael is the number one contender.

That's all I'm getting at.

I'm not slighting Chris, but rather pointing out the UFC invested zip into this guy and it could cost money if he wins and is not considered a star. Phone Post
4/11/13 10:54 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke

Weidman BEAT Hall.

Yet the average UFC/TUF fan would not buy that unless you made them pull up Wikipedia on their phone.

The UFC has marketed it's brand and a few top fighters but the top contenders don't get enough promotion to legitimize them as stars to the fans.

You need to care who is fighting and pull for one to win to be invested in even paying to see it.

We watch any fights.

Average Joe only watches big fights and big names.

They will tune in for AS but not know enough about Chris to believe he could be the next champ.

That's all.

Sorry if I hurt any feelings but not once have I intimated Chris Weidman is anything but a beast nor have I knocked Anderson Silva.

I'm simply pointing out that one is P4P king and the other isn't even a recognizable face like the guy getting kayoed in the NOS commercial. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.