UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP weighed 170.4, thought he was over

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
4/11/13 6:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

apparently even he wasnt aware of the Quebec rule...sacre bleu!

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lapresse.ca%2Fsports%2Fsports-de-combat%2F201304%2F11%2F01-4639967-gsp-a-bel-et-bien-depasse-la-limite-de-poids-mais-sans-tricher.php

Yes, strictly speaking, Georges St-Pierre has exceeded the limit of 170 pounds at the weigh before his fight against Nick Diaz.

"They came to us just before weighing and even I was surprised. They told us they were going round. I was also surprised that Nick Diaz "St. Pierre said Thursday in an interview with The Associated Press to lather the publication of his book The fighting spirit, published by Flammarion.

"The goal is to be 170 rather than 169, to be as close as possible to the limit while the weight. It is a mental thing, "said St-Pierre.

It said he was not sure of his exact weight, but he believes that it amounted to 170.4 pounds. The Board has therefore rounded to 170 pounds, the limit prescribed for the battle that took place on March 16.

4/11/13 6:12 PM
Entreri

Your title is misleading, why am I not surprised.

He THOUGHT he was 170.4. GSP being an utter perfectionist, likely he was 170.0.

4/11/13 6:12 PM
MoomBah
434 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He wouldve made it without the underwear.

4/11/13 6:16 PM
JOESONDO
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The middle fingers of NickDiaz - The UFC is doing everything they can do protect their precious GSP. This, the greasing, and the hand wraps

Where's the justice? Phone Post 3.0

It's true! If not for his greased, extra heavy hand wraps, he would have gotten his ass kicked!
4/11/13 6:18 PM
Nonlinear

CALL JOHNNY TWEEDALE!!!!!!!!

4/11/13 6:19 PM
12SixElbow
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The trouble isn't the .4 weight advantage.

The trouble is the weird bending of the rules / hiding the rules.

Maybe Nick had a rough cut? If he knew he could weigh up to 169.9 who knows, etc...

It throws too much gray area into the mix IMO, these things (title fights) should be very very clear cut on what can and cannot happen.

4/11/13 6:20 PM
slamming

So basically, GSP would have weighed in at 170 if he fought in Vegas because they round down by half pounds.

So in other words, there is absolutely nothing to see here in terms of a weight advantage. Poor Diaz.
4/11/13 6:21 PM
Chris27

MoomBah - 

This.

4/11/13 6:22 PM
Card
2261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slamming - So basically, GSP would have weighed in at 170 if he fought in Vegas because they round down by half pounds.

So in other words, there is absolutely nothing to see here in terms of a weight advantage. Poor Diaz.

No... Not for title fights.

IIAces

12SixElbow -

The trouble isn't the .4 weight advantage.

The trouble is the weird bending of the rules / hiding the rules.

Maybe Nick had a rough cut? If he knew he could weigh up to 169.9 who knows, etc...

It throws too much gray area into the mix IMO, these things (title fights) should be very very clear cut on what can and cannot happen.

This Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 6:24 PM
orcus

lol @ goku still bitching.

No wonder he is such a spokesman for Nick and Weidman etc, he is a huge fan of whining.

170.4 would have been rounded down to 170 in virtually every AC and at most UFC events.

4/11/13 6:24 PM

12SixElbow - 
slamming - So basically, GSP would have weighed in at 170 if he fought in Vegas because they round down by half pounds.

actually apparently, Kizer also "typically" rounds down anything less than .5....though other jurisdictions, such as NJ, apparently do not round at all...

4/11/13 6:25 PM

orcus - 

No wonder he is such a spokesman for Nick and Weidman etc, he is a huge fan of whining.

170.4 would have been rounded down to 170 in virtually every AC and at most UFC events.

how is it bitching you muppet? i just posted the article...your deranged mind construed it as bitching

4/11/13 6:25 PM
KZTT_W85
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Something shady going on here Phone Post
4/11/13 6:27 PM
orcus

12SixElbow - 

lol...someone obviously hasn't read any of the 9 million words written about this topic.

The Nevada AC rounds down to the half pound, yes, even in title fights. Even in mega fights like Pacquiao and Mayweather fights.

4/11/13 6:28 PM
orcus

Anderson's BBC in my Goku - 
orcus - 

how is it bitching you muppet? i just posted the article...your deranged mind construed it as bitching

Because all you do is bitch. See: The 9000 words you wrote on this topic violently defending your utterly mistaken -- and easily disproven -- notion that it's unheard of and illegal to round down.

4/11/13 6:29 PM
slamming

12SixElbow - 

"According to Nevada Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer, officials in the state “go by half-pounds so I round down to the nearest half-pound.”

In Nevada, added Kizer, the scales used go up and down by .2 pounds, so 170 pounds, 170.2 pounds and 170.4 pounds would be rounded down to 170 pounds and be considered to have made weight in the welterweight division. A fighter at 170.6 pounds or 170.8 pounds would round down to 170.5 pounds and be given up to one hour to lose the necessary weight."

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/436544/NJ-Nevada-clarify-weigh-in-rules
4/11/13 6:29 PM
TheGoldenRule
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MoomBah -

Yup Phone Post
4/11/13 6:32 PM
TheGoldenRule
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The middle fingers of NickDiaz - The UFC is doing everything they can do protect their precious GSP. This, the greasing, and the hand wraps

Where's the justice? Phone Post 3.0
Don't make me regret voting u up... ur better than this Phone Post
4/11/13 6:34 PM
bacon19
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bazza76 - It doesn't surprise me to be honest.

you would wonder how much of a part he had to play in it too, GSP is known for taking any advantage he can get. I wouldn't be surprised if the observation Nick made about GSP knowing that Nick was planning to go for a knee bar was true too.

I am surprised to see he is still allowed to spit water over his head when he gets into the octagon too. Did anyone check the water for traces of some kind of oil :D

Don't get me wrong, I have a ton of respect for GSP. I just know though, that he will take any advantage to win, even more so now because of his legacy that he is protecting, and these big multi million dollar pay days through his PPV sales and fight pay. there is massive massive money involved for him out side of that too... endorsements, movie rolls etc..

Anyone that will hire a cross dresser to kiss BJ Penn on his entrance into the octagon to distract him, is still looking for them edges/advantages, in what ever way he can get them.
Not allowed to crack open the water bottle unless commission sees it Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 6:36 PM
TuLegit

Watergate continues Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 6:43 PM
Frenchie
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The title is wrong, both here and on the French news site.
http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/sports-de-combat/201304/11/01-4639967-gsp-a-bel-et-bien-depasse-la-limite-de-poids-mais-sans-tricher.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_257_accueil_POS4

The article references an interview he just did. Here is a link to that very interview, in French, complete, without any edits.
http://tvasports.ca/videos/video-gsp-doit-prendre-une-importante-decision

In the interview, he says they informed him of the measuring protocols just like they did for Diaz. Same info, same timing. He then gives an example of the weight rules by saying "for example, if the weight is 170.4, they put down 170"

4/11/13 6:44 PM
slamming

Frenchie - The title is wrong, both here and on the French news site.
http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/sports-de-combat/201304/11/01-4639967-gsp-a-bel-et-bien-depasse-la-limite-de-poids-mais-sans-tricher.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_257_accueil_POS4

The article references an interview he just did. Here is a link to that very interview, in French, complete, without any edits.
http://tvasports.ca/videos/video-gsp-doit-prendre-une-importante-decision

In the interview, he says they informed him of the measuring protocols just like they did for Diaz. Same info, same timing. He then gives an example of the weight rules by saying "for example, if the weight is 170.4, they put down 170"

Quoted, because knowing this forum your post will be ignored.
4/11/13 6:46 PM
parker2004

rrefs - In for people complaining about 0.4 pound weight advantage...

It's not about the weight advantage, it's about a commission bending rules that they themselves set in place.
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.