UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> popular sports supplement spike with meth

4/12/13 6:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheParrot
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Craziness over Craze

By Patrick

Driven Sports (formerly Designer Supplements) is a somewhat popular company in the sports nutrition arena. They have a dedicated cult following due to their history of introducing controversial and intriguing products such as the now infamous designer steroid “superdrol” to the market place. Their latest hit product is a “pre-workout” product called Craze. This product gained insane popularity over the last couple of years and users who have taken it have reported amazing energy and euphoria. Since the ingredients on the label did not seem to list anything that could explain such remarkable effects, much suspicion arose over whether the product might be “spiked” with some sort of undisclosed stimulant compound.

Well, in early February that suspicion reached a fever pitch when supplement retailers disclosed that federal police in Australia told them that Craze (which has been a popular import there) was found to contain a methamphetamine analog. It appears from various sources that the analog they were referring to was N-alpha-diethyl-benzeneethanamine.

As a consequence, Craze has been banned from Australia and all imports are now being confiscated. Curiously, this comes right on the heels of an announcement of the ban of a Rugby player by the Australian Sports Ant-Doping Authority (ASADA) for the same chemical analog plus another analog called 1-phenylbutan-2-amine (which interestingly would be an expected metabolite of the analog allegedly found in Craze). No mention however is made that this positive is the result of the athlete ingesting Craze.

I am following this story closely and right now there is nothing completely confirmed by any official documentation. One thing is curious though, and that is the fact that craze does contain a compound on the label with the exact same molecular formula – differing only by the placement of one of the ethyl groups.

Very curious. What could this mean? Could the aussies have mistaken this listed ingredient for the meth analog? Very doubtful, as they must have been fully aware of the difference. Also, from my research the actual mass spectrum for the analog appears to be recorded in the literature, and so could be matched up. Conspiracy theorists might imagine that a company who wanted to slip such an analog into a product could try to throw testers off by listing an extremely close structural isomer on their label. Hmmm…

Right now it is not clear what is going on but things are unraveling and I will keep everyone updated soon. As far as what the ramifications for Driven Sports would be in the United States should this all prove to be true….well…. that can vary from minor to major. Perhaps a warning from the FDA or worse a criminal charge of adulteration / misbranding etc. Worse still would be a felony charge of distribution of a controlled substances, since analogs of CII substances like methamphetamine can be considered also controlled under US law.

Stay tuned

mass spec

4/12/13 6:36 AM
TheParrot
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More Craziness over Craze

By Patrick

As I said in my last piece, things are moving fast in this Craze scandal.  Word just came out today that the product was tested in Sweden and confirmed to contain the same meth analog that the Australian federal police said they identified

“In this material we found substances chemically similar to amphetamine and that probably would have similar effects to amphetamine has been says Anna Stenfeldt Henning, Head, Drug Analysis Unit, SKL.”

SKL is the Swedish National Lab for Forensic Science. The Swedes refer to the chemical as N-ethyl-1-phenyl-2-butylamine, but it also goes by the names N,alpha-diethylbenzeneethanamine and N,alpha-diethylphenethylamine.  As I mentioned in my last installment it is considered a structural isomer of methamphetamine.  Why is it considered a structural isomer to methamphetamine while some other phenethylamine derivatives are not?  If you want to get technical it is because it contains an alkyl (hydrocarbon chain) alpha to the nitrogen atom.  The presence of the alkyl group blocks the enzyme monoamine oxidase, which normally inactivates such neurotransmitter type compounds.  In other words it makes it potent so you get the classic “speed” high.

This testing by the Swedes comes on the heels of a consumer who took Craze for two weeks and ended up in the hospital.  This case led the magazine SVT Nyheter to contact the SKL who then took it upon themselves to test the product.

The makers of Craze have responded to SVY Nyheter by claiming that their product does not contain the meth analog and that it must be one of the counterfeit Craze jars that allegedly have been floating around europe.  However, SVT Nyheter contacted the retailer that they bought the Craze from and they claimed to have bought it directly from Driven Sports.

I have yet to hear of any action regarding this product here in the states.  Online retailers continue to sell the product.  I don’t know if that is going to continue for long.   The liability of selling a product with the knowledge that it may contain an illegal and potentially dangerous substance might be too risky for large distributors and retailers.  Usually in situations such as this the product is put on temporary hold until more information is available and the situation clarified, because not to do so puts a company at potentially greater legal risk in the future should the fears be confirmed and a criminal investigation launched.

So if you love your Craze, and you don’t care about any of the scary stuff coming to light lately, you might want to stock up.

www.svt.se/nyheter/regionalt/vastnytt/vanligt-kosttilskott-innehaller-dopningsmedel

4/12/13 6:38 AM
TheParrot

http://patrickarnoldblog.com/

4/12/13 6:55 AM
TheParrot

^  $33 on amazon

4/12/13 9:38 AM
Stephen Eakin
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can you link to any other stories about this? Google didn't come up with too much. Phone Post 3.0
4/12/13 9:41 AM
The Black Cheez
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's ballsy. Phone Post
4/12/13 10:17 AM
lenz0799
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So many of these suppliments aren't tested before they are put out to market. FDA is a joke these days. People need to be careful, just cause its for sale doesn't mean it won't kill you, or apparently get you addicted to meth Phone Post
4/12/13 10:19 AM
zebers3
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For the record, having ethyl groups as opposed to methyl groups can give that molecule completely different properties. No reason to think it'll behave the same way that meth does. And also, THEN comparing that analog to another molecule with a diethyl amine as opposed to an ethyl amine with another ethyl group bound to the alkyl chain, will have even different properties again.

I see no reason to make the comparison to what they found in the supplement to crystal meth. Unless there is literature on that specific material suggesting so.

And I don't see how that mass spec correlates to the compound they are saying.
4/12/13 10:23 AM
zebers3
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see now that he said the mass spec was from literature, must be extremely old based on the fact that they are basing it on the fragmentation patterns.

But I guess there still must be something weird going on if people are feeling these effects without something accounting for it.
4/12/13 10:24 AM
TheParrot

zebers3 - For the record, having ethyl groups as opposed to methyl groups can give that molecule completely different properties. No reason to think it'll behave the same way that meth does. And also, THEN comparing that analog to another molecule with a diethyl amine as opposed to an ethyl amine with another ethyl group bound to the alkyl chain, will have even different properties again.

I see no reason to make the comparison to what they found in the supplement to crystal meth. Unless there is literature on that specific material suggesting so.

As I mentioned in my last installment it is considered a structural isomer of methamphetamine.  Why is it considered a structural isomer to methamphetamine while some other phenethylamine derivatives are not?  If you want to get technical it is because it contains an alkyl (hydrocarbon chain) alpha to the nitrogen atom.  The presence of the alkyl group blocks the enzyme monoamine oxidase, which normally inactivates such neurotransmitter type compounds.  In other words it makes it potent so you get the classic “speed” high.

4/12/13 10:25 AM
TheParrot

Just an fyi, the guy who penned those pieces, Patrick Arnold, is the organic chemist that created The Clear (Barry Bonds etc..)

4/12/13 10:25 AM
trobinson21

You know what doesn't have meth in it, a healthy balanced diet and water. Phone Post
4/12/13 10:27 AM
TheParrot

Edited: 04/12/13 12:18 PM

More reading here:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/197428-ds-craze-lawsuit.html

edit - you can jump to page 69 for current info

4/12/13 10:29 AM
2JupitersTooMany
1576 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chick in my neighborhood lost her volleyball scholarship a month ago, caught spiking rectal meth shots with a deer antler, sad story lots of silent victims.

4/12/13 10:30 AM
I welch on SN bets

side effects: teeth fall out, scabby face, and nervous ticks.
4/12/13 10:31 AM
zebers3

TheParrot - 
zebers3 - For the record, having ethyl groups as opposed to methyl groups can give that molecule completely different properties. No reason to think it'll behave the same way that meth does. And also, THEN comparing that analog to another molecule with a diethyl amine as opposed to an ethyl amine with another ethyl group bound to the alkyl chain, will have even different properties again.

As I mentioned in my last installment it is considered a structural isomer of methamphetamine.  Why is it considered a structural isomer to methamphetamine while some other phenethylamine derivatives are not?  If you want to get technical it is because it contains an alkyl (hydrocarbon chain) alpha to the nitrogen atom.  The presence of the alkyl group blocks the enzyme monoamine oxidase, which normally inactivates such neurotransmitter type compounds.  In other words it makes it potent so you get the classic “speed” high.

Yeah I get that, it was my bad I just didn't read thoroughly. I thought the comparison was being made that the N,N-diethyl-benzeneethanamine that they claim is in their product would have similar properties to the methamphetamine analog.

Although, I do find it hard to believe that they could make a mistake that big by having a completely different compound in their product. It'd be quite easy to distinguish between the diethylamine and the analog through any characterization.

And I feel better knowing an actual organic chemist is discussing this haha
4/12/13 10:33 AM
Seats Taken
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to take pre workout when I lifted until I was randomly drug tested at work with a mouth swab and tested positive for Methamphetamine. I know that some random ingredient just caused a False Positive, but fuck that. I was extremely embarrassed, so I quit taking supplements like that. I was using C3.

If anyone is interested in the lack of FDA testing and stuff watch Bigger, Faster, Stronger. It actually depicts steroids and OTC GNC products from several different views. I thought it was interesting. Phone Post 3.0
4/12/13 10:35 AM
BernardHopkins

from youtube:

bogdn47 1 month ago

your boy here had to try out his new craaaaaaaaaaze and 1 scoop did nothing. nada. pissed me off and next day i had 2? heaping scoops of this shit at 5 pm! then went balls to the walls in the gym..then when i realised its 12 in the night i had this nice smile on my face knowing i'll sleep like a baby and make me some GAAAINZ...guess what.i stared at the ceiling until 6 am getting all kinds of crazy thoughts
4/12/13 10:40 AM
ConditJustGSPeedHisPants
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8 Years 6 SherdogAccountsLater -

Its pretty sad my natural reaction is to see how much it costs on ebay

Lol, that was my first thought.
Hahaha Phone Post
4/12/13 10:44 AM
SnapLocally
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does no one remember ephedrine and ECA stacks? Four white crosses and you felt like you did a hooker line of crank.
4/12/13 10:50 AM
Legalize It
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SnapLocally - Does no one remember ephedrine and ECA stacks? Four white crosses and you felt like you did a hooker line of crank.

I loved that shit and it got me down from 215 to 165 like it was fucking EZ mode.

4/12/13 10:50 AM
Curtis_E_Bare
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a common occurrence in the field of designer drugs. You take an illegal compound and slightly modify it so the new structure is not listed as a banned substance. If the change is small enough the new compound is likely to share the same effects as the one it is designed to mimic. "Bath salts" and all of the synthetic cannabinoids are good examples.

I'm curious as to how this is made. Most of the precursors for methamphetamine are already controlled substances. The methamphetamine analog would share a few precursors.
4/12/13 11:04 AM
zebers3

Curtis_E_Bare - This is a common occurrence in the field of designer drugs. You take an illegal compound and slightly modify it so the new structure is not listed as a banned substance. If the change is small enough the new compound is likely to share the same effects as the one it is designed to mimic. "Bath salts" and all of the synthetic cannabinoids are good examples.

I'm curious as to how this is made. Most of the precursors for methamphetamine are already controlled substances. The methamphetamine analog would share a few precursors.

I did a scifinder search and there is no published synthesis of the analog but I found seven commercial suppliers of this compound. So you can just buy it. Most are over in Europe but there is even one supplier in the US.
4/12/13 11:21 AM
Seats Taken
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Legalize It -
SnapLocally - Does no one remember ephedrine and ECA stacks? Four white crosses and you felt like you did a hooker line of crank.

I loved that shit and it got me down from 215 to 165 like it was fucking EZ mode.

You can still order ephedra from Canada, I used to use it leading up to wrestling season. 220 down to 189 in like 2 weeks with barely any effort.

But back in the day Stacker 2 was the shit haha Phone Post 3.0
4/12/13 11:30 AM
Curtis_E_Bare
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The typical synthetic routes for methamphetamine and similar are: reductive amination, Leuckart, Nagai, Moscow, Hypo, and Birch reduction. I'd think that reductive amination and the Leuckart method would be the most likely. I'd have to look up if the precursors for these two methods are controlled, ethylamine and 1-phenylbutan-2-one.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.