UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Boxing champ Berto wants to be a UFC champion

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/13/13 2:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RonFoster77
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His dad fought in the ufc,one of his brother was a highly decorated wrestler his other brother and sister also fight Mma. He has dabbled in mma and wrestling his entire life it was just much more money in boxing so he choice that route. For people to say he is not a top boxer so he shouldn't try mma, they are clueless. . Phone Post
4/13/13 2:30 AM
jar of flies
817 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is Andre's brother Edson, in his last fight from Bellator about a month ago
4/13/13 2:40 AM
Barry_BondsMVP
832 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if he put close to a year of grappling and kickboxing, he might grab a title in a lower organization.

4/13/13 2:45 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
531 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache -
Frank Gallagher - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy -

hahaha No Berto......just no 

He's not even at the top of the boxing game

You are a idiot Phone Post

Actually he is a good poster. But I agree the comment was a bit of base.....
Anything I said that was inaccurate?

He's 30 this year
Just lost his last fight
Tested Positive for PEDs not too long ago
No he's not at the top of the heap at 147

And he's gonna jump into mma and become a UFC champion? Phone Post 3.0
4/13/13 2:55 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
531 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RonFoster77 - His dad fought in the ufc,one of his brother was a highly decorated wrestler his other brother and sister also fight Mma. He has dabbled in mma and wrestling his entire life it was just much more money in boxing so he choice that route. For people to say he is not a top boxer so he shouldn't try mma, they are clueless. . Phone Post
There's a difference between "trying" mma, which is incredibly easy to do. And saying ok I want to go to the UFC and become a champion. Phone Post 3.0
4/13/13 2:56 AM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
591 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he took the time to train mma I'd be interested. I'm not interested if he just is going to do boxing vs mma though. Phone Post
4/13/13 3:02 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

Frank Gallagher -
GayGuardMooseSaucy -
Frank Gallagher - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy -

He's 30 this year
Just lost his last fight

You forgot to mention his accomplishments and his background Phone Post
WBC WW Champ
And Current IBF WW Champ

What's Berto's background exactly in regards to mma? Not his sister, brother, father, uncle, etc.

Any state wrestling titles
Judo or BJJ rankings
Any Ammy mma experience
TKD or Karate Phone Post 3.0
4/13/13 3:10 AM
sgotwalks
2212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd be stoked to hop on board for the ride.

4/13/13 3:28 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

Frank Gallagher - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy -
Frank Gallagher -
GayGuardMooseSaucy -
Frank Gallagher - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy -

He's 30 this year
Just lost his last fight

You forgot to mention his accomplishments and his background Phone Post
WBC WW Champ
And Current IBF WW Champ

What's Berto's background exactly in regards to mma? Not his sister, brother, father, uncle, etc.

Any state wrestling titles
Judo or BJJ rankings
Any Ammy mma experience
TKD or Karate Phone Post 3.0
Do you dislike boxing? I always thought you were a good poster but you sound like a faggit in this thread Phone Post

Don't be a fucking idiot, I'm one of the most active posters on here when it comes to boxing. Im being realistic....you all aren't. Berto becoming UFC champ is as ridiculous/unrealistic as when Nick Diaz wanted to fight Sergio Martinez. It goes both ways, guys in mma saying they want to fight Mayweather blah blah blah. Serious Boxers coming to mma and making an impact etc etc. Theres a reason it hasn't happened 

4/13/13 3:44 AM
lockon
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGaurd posts, discusses, and contributes more boxing content to this forum than anyone else in this thread. I think his initial post may have been a bit rough on Berto, but I don't think he's off base. Berto's on quite the down slope in his own sport.

I'd still love to see him compete in MMA though, should that be what he wants to do.
4/13/13 3:46 AM
lockon
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, SubbedZero and Barry are in here too. So I can't really say who's the biggest boxing enthusiast around here. Still always see these guys in every boxing related thread.
4/13/13 3:46 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

lockon - GayGaurd posts, discusses, and contributes more boxing content to this forum than anyone else in this thread. I think his initial post may have been a bit rough on Berto, but I don't think he's off base. Berto's on quite the down slope in his own sport.

I'd still love to see him compete in MMA though, should that be what he wants to do.
Flattering thank you, but Barry posted in this thread lol. He's the UG's king of boxing Phone Post 3.0
4/13/13 7:27 AM
sgotwalks
2212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My take on crossovers between the two sports is that when someone crosses over from mma to boxing, they have to leave their strength behind, but when a boxer crosses over to mma he gets to bring every aspect of his strength, and he gets to do it with 4 oz gloves. For that reason alone, it will be fascinating to watch what happens every time it goes down with a world class boxer taking the leap.

Andre Berto is absolutely world class, Granted he has lost two of his last three, but the guy is 28 and 2 (22 KO's), with both losses to top guys. He is very much world class, and far more of a threat than James Toney was at that pathetic stage in his career. Also, Berto is 30, not 35 or 36. He's only a couple years removed from what is considered the prime, and still very dangerous. Not only that, it was exactly 2 years ago this day, that he was only three days away from earning his shot at Mayweather for the title, but he lost to Ortiz in what wound up being a strong candidate for fight of the year. 

Add to all of that the fact that he is surrounded by mma pedigree. That certainly cannot hurt, as he is not ddoing this for monetary means like Toney was. Berto would bring some passion to his training for the other arts, and I for one would be pretty fucking stoked to see him show us what he can do against someone like Takanori Gomi.......fucking great matchup for him right there, and I could see him winning that fight at this stage of Gomi's career. Think of how huge that would be if he came in and KO'd a name like Gomi.

4/13/13 8:21 AM
Phil Cornelius

WOOFticket -  Almost as funny as this

Phone Post

LMAO...great find....Never knew pro wrestlers were that good at acting man...that looks legit him bending over that way...cuz of the kick...on the whole boxing/mma thing I say let Berto's brother fight MMA let him enjoy his OWN career there without being shadowed by his famous successful boxing brother....Now to cut it short...Andre Berto stick to boxing then work with the next gen teach some kids after....now Berto's brother let him do his MMA thing...cuz he seems to have a future in the sport....Let people have their own space
4/13/13 8:27 AM
sgotwalks

Edited: 04/13/13 8:29 AM

^ Berto's brother has to earn his own career. You can only go as far as your wins will take you. If he keeps winning than he will be fine. His connection to Andre, and all the press that will come with that will only work in his favour, so long as he keeps winning.

4/13/13 8:34 AM
Phisher

Edited: 04/13/13 8:50 AM

...double

4/13/13 8:36 AM
Phisher

JeffersonDArcyChoke - 
RearNakedToke -
ConditJustGSPeedHisPants -  Don't remember where I read a couple years ago that he was beginning to train in MMA unless I'm mistaking him for another well known boxer. Phone Post

Kermit Cintron was talking about it to try and make headlines a few years back. Then he fell out of the ring against The Punisher and did a stretcher job lol. He wanted to fight so bad after they tied him to the spine though, I'll give him that.
Kermit needed cash and is shot.

Berto has absorbed some beatings but has something left so I'd give him a chance.

Sadly, Cintron had so many gifts yet squandered them all with poor training and too much time off. Phone Post

Cintron reached his peak in boxing. He was a mentally weak front runner who folded when his opponents could challenge him. Dude was never going to be elite.

4/13/13 8:36 AM
Culinary Union Delegate
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Andre is/was near the top tier of the best division in boxing. Match him with someone considered a good striker at 145 and let's see wtf happens. It would be a little like what made MMA interesting in the first place. I'd buy it Phone Post 3.0
4/13/13 8:42 AM
sgotwalks

Edited: 04/13/13 8:42 AM

Andre Berto vs Sam Stout or Takanori Gomi in his first UFC bout. My money is on Berto!

4/13/13 8:53 AM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With respect to GayGuard, No. I don't believe Andre is ready to go the route of a champion in an org. as big as the UFC. Being 30 is not the best time to transition thats for sure. But he's used to the big stage, lost the big fight, came very close to a bout with Mayweather, etc. The kid just got both of his eyes shut by Guerrero and was still cracking him with uppercuts through the remaining 10 rounds after 2 knockdowns. He's tough, his stand up will need to be modified a bit i'm sure but his boxing is a big threat to MMA.

I will admit Alvarado stands a bigger chance of success. But with Andre's knowledge of combat sports and the people and family he has around him, I wouldn't be surprised to see Andre atleast earn a bout with the UFC. I would imagine he would have to make a run relatively quick though.

and 3rds on Barry runnin the Boxing round here.

4/13/13 10:26 AM
Lobo8

Im very interested in this happening. I think he could do reasonably well if he takes a year to really work on some things.
4/13/13 10:38 AM
JOESONDO
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm interested. His whole family is into MMA. His brother competes with Bellator, his sister is trying for TUF and according to the article his father was involved in UFC 10. He probably has spent enough time training to feel comfortable transitioning. Im sure this isn't a James Toney situation where Berto will come in with just boxing. Phone Post 3.0
4/13/13 10:39 AM
Lobo8

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Frank Gallagher - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy -

He's 30 this year
Just lost his last fight

Dont be ridiculous nobody here actually thinks he can be champion. Obviously he isnt at the top of his sport. But who cares. Where still interested because we might be finally getting a well known, high level boxer into the ufc. Its gonna be fun to see how far he can go.
4/13/13 11:16 AM
shootfightermike
1143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

4/13/13 11:18 AM
MrNiceguy66

I want to be a unicorn. Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.