UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Hall folded, women are way meaner

4/14/13 12:02 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC President Dana White recapped the TUF 17 Finale with FUEL TV's Heidi Androl, and touched on several topics uncluding Uriah Hall's unexpected loss, and the Cat Zingano vs. Miesha Tate fight of the night. Highlights from both fights appear at bottom.

"Kelvin Gastelum, with the big upset, he was the underdog, he was picked last," asked Androl. "You were really high on Uriah Hall - as was the rest of the universe - did this surprise you?"

White related that he felt the pressure got to Hall.

"The kid deserved the hype," said White. "The question becomes, can you handle the pressure? And what it looked like to me was... on the show when he came out he was a killer, trying to take everybody out. And tonight he looked like he folded under the pressure, like he didn't even want to be in there.

"He didn't even wake up until the second round… you saw hints, little pieces of Uriah Hall tonight, but that is about it.

"And Kelvin came out ready to take him out."

"The one thing that you never know, you can have a guy who is incredibly talented, but what's going to happen to him when he gets into that pressure cooker, that one moment where is all matters? That's where guys who become world champions shine. The Anderson Silvas, and the George St-Pierres, and the list goes on and on - the guys who really don't fold under the pressure."

White was then asked about the Cat Zingano vs. Miesha Tate fight of the night, and said he knew it would be awesome.

"After every weigh in, I go back and I talk to all the fighters," said White of his backstage exhortation to fight hard. "I say listen everybody - and this doesn't include the ladies, you're not part of this conversation, because I know exactly how this fight's going to go… The women, I don't know if it's because the women feel they have more to prove… The one thing, I believe it, is women are way meaner than men anyway, so when they go out there, they honestly always put on a show - awesome."

Co-main event, and fight of the night highlights.

4/14/13 12:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ehhh..dont know about folded...gunshy, sure...but he was fighting till the end...

4/14/13 1:04 PM
Foos
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saying he folded is a little unfair to both Uriah and Kelvin.

4/14/13 1:09 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kelvin is an excellent wrestler, and I think Uriah just fought too conservatively.  I thought after a couple scambles and TD-defenses he would open up, but it never happened.  Kelvin folded Uriah with his pressure.

And DFW is right about the WMMA.   Remember when UFC created the LW division, and every fight was a gun-blazing battle?  It's just like that.

4/14/13 1:10 PM
Hungry4Stink
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Foos - Saying he folded is a little unfair to both Uriah and Kelvin.

Yeah I think it was more a case of Kelvin being a lot closer to Uriah's ability athletically than the other guys on the show were.
4/14/13 1:13 PM
shaqitup
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's hard to strike when a guy is all over you, look at Cain vs JdsJds

4/14/13 1:14 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

Foos - Saying he folded is a little unfair to both Uriah and Kelvin.

very unfair..

think it was a bit of chuck lidell in pride where dana had high expections that werent met....

4/14/13 1:16 PM
TuLegit

You gotta cool it with this headlines. If Ariel is an instigator then what are these headlines? They always manipulate what was said and make it seem harsher and more dramatic than what it actually is. Phone Post 3.0
4/14/13 1:18 PM
Cantona99

shaqitup -

Absolutely spot on Phone Post
4/14/13 1:26 PM
Steve4192
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson's BBC in my Goku - 

ehhh..dont know about folded...gunshy, sure...but he was fighting till the end...

Agreed.

Folded is definitely the wrong word. I think it one was one part buying into his own hype and one part deer in the headlights. He just froze up in there.
4/14/13 1:29 PM
Foos
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shaqitup - 

This
4/14/13 1:31 PM
3 Sided Square
532 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't wait until his comments on women are skewed by the culinary union.
4/14/13 1:47 PM
Rudi

shaqitup -

This. Phone Post
4/14/13 2:11 PM
Ryan Black
584 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cat vs. Miesha was an awesome fight. Those two went to war- I don't think I've heard a string of profanities shouted in sheer exclamation & surprise that two fighters were still standing, quite like that, from a consensus of people I'm watching the fight with since Shogun/Henderson. Them ladies was throwin' heat in there from bell-to-bell. That fight stole the show and I'll definitely be rewatching it.

Kelvin vs. Uriah was a great fight too. I wouldn't say Hall "folded." Kelvin gave him little-to-no space, dictated the pace, and kept constant pressure on Uriah. It was Kelvin's fight from the beginning. He's a great fighter who's only going to get better. He deserved the contract and the victory for sure.

Uriah Hall will certainly get a contract as well, and I feel he could do impressively well in the UFC's Middleweight Division. We all saw him win non-stop on TUF, and on the Finale he came up short against an accomplished grappler with heart, intelligence, and determination. After a couple wins in the UFC, I'm sure we'll all be engaging in hypotheticals about fighters he'd destroy.

Both guys are talented fighters with bright futures ahead of them, and I can't wait to see them fight again. The whole show was awesome. Phone Post
4/14/13 2:15 PM
Crocop'sLeftLeg

Dana is such a douche. Taking away from Kelvin's win.

Uriah lost because Kelvin is better. Kelvin probably would've beaten him on TUF too.

Uriah might be a force to be reckoned with in the near future though in the division. Kelvin as well.
4/14/13 2:22 PM
Kirik
2049 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
TuLegit - You gotta cool it with this headlines. If Ariel is an instigator then what are these headlines? They always manipulate what was said and make it seem harsher and more dramatic than what it actually is. Phone Post 3.0

The word for word quote is "And tonight he looked like he folded under the pressure." I am curious as to what the headline said that was unfair?

4/14/13 2:25 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana's absolutely right about the women. Some of the guys come out trying to do just enough to win a contest on points. The girls come out to win a fight and really seem to go into it with more of that intent. Two different mindsets. A lot of my friends who were skeptical of women's MMA have come to enjoy it and even often look forward to the female fights the most because of it.
4/14/13 2:28 PM
Jacinto
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crocop'sLeftLeg - Dana is such a douche. Taking away from Kelvin's win.

Uriah lost because Kelvin is better. Kelvin probably would've beaten him on TUF too.

Uriah might be a force to be reckoned with in the near future though in the division. Kelvin as well.

Does seem like a big diss to Kelvin imo.
4/14/13 2:39 PM
Chiron

Hall definitely didn't look like himself. Maybe he doesn't do as well under pressure. Maybe he really wanted to get the win and didn't want to risk a loss so he fought more conservatively than normal like many fighters do. Kevin deserves some credit for that, but even when Hall had his opportunities he seemed gunshy. Which wasn't wise, especially since he still mixed in a bit of showboating because he wasn't worried about Kevin's striking.
4/14/13 2:52 PM
Jacinto
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hall is quite talented but i don't see him ever being a real contender. He has been fighting as a pro for 8 years and has lost to the only UFC vets he has ever faced and his wins have been against no-names. Match him up with fighters that are predominantly strikers though and he will make for some fun fights.
4/14/13 2:56 PM
Darth Ryase
1432 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has the definition of the word folded changed or something? He got beat. Period. Phone Post
4/14/13 2:58 PM
Rickson's Aura

As usual Dana bashes the guy he thought would win....I remember when GSP lost to Serra he said he something about being around him backstage and he was mentally weak. Then there is the infamous Chuck/Rampage fight in Pride.
4/14/13 3:05 PM
Papi Chingon
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Dana takes everything away from Kelvin's great gameplan and awesome win, and all for what? It was a very very close fight, so what's that really saying about Kelvin's abilities? What a fucking douche, as usual.

Dana, go fuck yourself.
4/14/13 3:07 PM
Jacinto

Papi Chingon - So Dana takes everything away from Kelvin's great gameplan and awesome win, and all for what? It was a very very close fight, so what's that really saying about Kelvin's abilities? What a fucking douche, as usual.

Dana, go fuck yourself.

Yeah it really is sad that the fighters have no other really viable options to fight in rather than the UFC so they don't have to put up with his BS.
4/14/13 3:08 PM
andrewwarner

Dana wants to believe his own hype. He tends to over hype guys who look good on tuf. Just look at phillipe over - he compared him to Anderson Silva and then he got soundly defeated by escudero. Hall's got heavy hands and some flashy kicks, but he's not nearly well rounded enough yet. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.