UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Help with chest development

4/15/13 8:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OneGloveJimmerson
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My main compound exercises on days when I workout my chest are usually flat and incline heavy dumbbell presses. The issue I've been having lately is that for some reason I feel my front delts failing before I get the full workout on my pecs. I'll lower a little past 90 degrees, get a full stretch on my pecs and power up but i'll still feel that my delts/arms will fail and i'll still have a little left in tank concerning my chest.

Any thoughts/tips? Should I be pre exhausting with flys or cable work?

As always words are appreciate!
4/16/13 12:22 AM
Chocolate Shatner
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shift to decline and flat, or flat and dips. Incline presses put more stress on the front delts than a flat or decline movement.
4/16/13 8:31 AM
banco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

high rep dumbbell flyes
4/16/13 10:07 AM
CMX
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What CS said also switch to barbell and get away from dumbell as your main lifts Phone Post
4/16/13 11:14 AM
Taku
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/16/13 11:16 AM

Attempting to describe technique in the written word is not always easy to do...

Like every other exercise, bench-pressing correctly takes skill. Too often people just mindlessly grab the DB's, lie down, and start pressing.

In order for "PEC's" to be firing effectively, you must have the right posture. Imagine you are standing at attention. Head up, chest up, shoulders back and down (pinch your shoulder-blades together as well as elevate chest).

You are doing all of this while lying on the bench of-course. As you press the DB's up, you'll feel as if you could extend your arms farther (if you release the pinch) DON'T!

You must maintain that tight, controlled posture the entire time. When lowering the weight, stay actively engaged, don't just surrender to gravity and let them sort of fall.

Another issue may be that you are keeping your arms too wide. The elbows should not be forced out straight to the sides If they are, then the delts will often take the brunt of the effort.

Hope this makes sense. When you do it correctly, you'll feel your pecs doing the work (not your delts).

TAKU

4/16/13 1:14 PM
OneGloveJimmerson
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku - 

Attempting to describe technique in the written word is not always easy to do...

Like every other exercise, bench-pressing correctly takes skill. Too often people just mindlessly grab the DB's, lie down, and start pressing.

In order for "PEC's" to be firing effectively, you must have the right posture. Imagine you are standing at attention. Head up, chest up, shoulders back and down (pinch your shoulder-blades together as well as elevate chest).

You are doing all of this while lying on the bench of-course. As you press the DB's up, you'll feel as if you could extend your arms farther (if you release the pinch) DON'T!

You must maintain that tight, controlled posture the entire time. When lowering the weight, stay actively engaged, don't just surrender to gravity and let them sort of fall.

Another issue may be that you are keeping your arms too wide. The elbows should not be forced out straight to the sides If they are, then the delts will often take the brunt of the effort.

Hope this makes sense. When you do it correctly, you'll feel your pecs doing the work (not your delts).

TAKU

Thanks Taku!
4/16/13 1:37 PM
dizz
554 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got much, much bigger through the chest and shoulders when I went from doing sets of 8-10 reps to sets of 4-6 reps
4/16/13 2:18 PM
OneGloveJimmerson

dizz - I got much, much bigger through the chest and shoulders when I went from doing sets of 8-10 reps to sets of 4-6 reps

The 4-6 range is what I've been doing lately but this is where my problem arises. I don't have a consistent spotter which is why I've been sticking to heavy dumbbells as oppose to good old fashion bench. I guess I do a month or so on the smith and see how i feel. (not ideal in comparison to a free bar but I am hoping it'll let my chest take over).
4/16/13 3:31 PM
Badmonkey

Do a set of flys right before doing a set of chest press; this will pre-exhaust the chest muscles so that it's the chest that ends your pressing movement and not the triceps.

4/16/13 4:02 PM
OneGloveJimmerson

spinningfapkick - 
Badmonkey - Do a set of flys right before doing a set of chest press; this will pre-exhaust the chest muscles so that it's the chest that ends your pressing movement and not the triceps.

Pretty sure you've got it backwards. Phone Post 3.0

I think from what I understand about the pre exhaustion method he's got it right. You preform an isolation exercise before your compound work. This is done (in this instance) to help wear out the chest so that it gets worked more to failure where otherwise your triceps would fail first (this would limit the impact you could have on your pecs in a compound movement)

Not a professional here so if anyone wants to correct that feel free, I am here to learn!
4/16/13 6:12 PM
Badmonkey

spinningfapkick - 
Badmonkey - Do a set of flys right before doing a set of chest press; this will pre-exhaust the chest muscles so that it's the chest that ends your pressing movement and not the triceps.

Pretty sure you've got it backwards. Phone Post 3.0

I'm absolutely certain i don't.

The goal is to pre-exhaust the muscles of the chest, so you isolate them with the fly before moving to a compound movement like the bench press or dip so that your chest is now the weak link as oppose to the triceps.

4/16/13 9:19 PM
Taku
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BadMonkey is correct.

Pre-exhaustion = very effective method for any weak link, or lagging body-part.

TAKU

4/16/13 9:38 PM
Chocolate Shatner
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My only critique of BadMonkey's pre-exhaust idea is that doing flyes is gonna kill the shit outta the front delts. If that is the weak point in chest workouts, its not exactly the best one to go with.
4/17/13 4:24 AM
Leigh
735 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some great advice on this thread. I'll add that incline feels like it does my shoulders in. Doesn't injure them but no chest involvement. What actually gave me a thicker chest and shoulder girdle was flat bench with an arch (effectively decline) and clean and press. I noticed a definite difference.
4/17/13 4:56 AM
BazUK

I find that handstand push-up work my upper chest pretty well
4/17/13 11:55 AM
Taku

C.S.

It depends on what tool you use for the flys. Although they (front delts) are active for sure...Badmonkey has access to some very good equipment that allows for this type of thing. Like cars, all strength training equipment is not created equal. There is a big difference between a very well made machine and a crappy one, just like there is a differecne between a Rolls-Royce and a Chevy Aveo.

TAKU

4/17/13 6:49 PM
OneGloveJimmerson

I envy Mr. Monkey's access to chest specializing delt-avoding equipment. Perhaps one day we will all be as lucky! I have a dream!

Thanks for the advice folks, I look foreword to putting your words to the task and breaking on through to my goal!
4/17/13 9:46 PM
Chocolate Shatner

Taku, I just figured he used dumbbells.
4/18/13 1:51 PM
Taku

C.S. Nope...

OGJ,

There was a time when folks were this lucky...But since the Fitness industry "pendulum" swung over to the "FUNTIONAL" training side of things...This type of stuff has become more and more rare.

As I said above, like cars, there is a very big difference between strength training machines. Most on the market are pure junk. The companies that manufacture and sell them, put very little thought into the ergonomics, etc.

Because most on the market are junk, and because of the current trends in fitness, the un-knowledgeable public is confronted with crapppy machines that function poorly, and are looked down upon as being non-functional as well.

Not having access (for the most part) to trainers / coaches who are at the least nonpartisan in their approach to the tools available, most fitness participants are misdirected towards methods that are supposedly more "functional" than others.

It's a sad but true state of affairs.

TAKU 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.