UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White: More women's divisions likely

4/15/13 9:41 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Currently the UFC only features a single division for women's MMA, bantamweight, but UFC President Dana White thinks it's only a matter of time before they expand:

"You would think so," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) when asked if he expected to add more women's divisions to the UFC. "If you think about it, when we started this company, we had heavyweights, light heavyweights, middleweights and welterweights. That was it. When we brought in the 155-pound division, everybody was like, 'This is crazy. They're too small. Nobody will ever watch.'

"The evolution of this sport as it's continued to grow, we've been adding weight classes, and the sport keeps getting bigger. There are more and more talented guys in all those weight classes. The same thing will happen with the women."

read entire article...

4/15/13 9:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OneGloveJimmerson
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lots of gorgeous and talented ladies residing in the 115 class range…..Just sayin'
4/15/13 9:48 PM
Bad Monkey
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

115 will be the deepest division in wmma as the sport evolves.  Just more women in "fighting shape" that will weight in the low 120s. 

4/15/13 9:49 PM
Jone2tone
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Next, Dana announces puchasing Invicta. Phone Post 3.0
4/15/13 9:54 PM
thatdude21601
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I agree with 115. Thugrose, Bec, Calderwood, Esparza, Aguilar, Fujii, Hamasaki, Felice, Killer Bunny, etc. Already full of killers, hotties, and killer hotties.

This will help fill out the lesser cards in a big way.
4/15/13 9:55 PM
RyannVonDoom
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

125, 115 and 105 are fuckin insane. Phone Post 3.0
4/15/13 10:21 PM
bekk46

Jone2tone - Next, Dana announces puchasing Invicta. Phone Post 3.0
:( Phone Post 3.0
4/15/13 10:29 PM
kevsh
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO the best thing the UFC can do is once they have enough women to give them their own events.

Yes, the ladies bring it, many have talent but I'm guessing that while many MMA fans are okay with a WMMA fight or two (like last Saturday) they won't be with 3,4 or 5 of them on the same card.

And Zuffa, please leave Invicta alone. I'm sure some ladies will come over but it's nice to see a small operation succeed, esp. when they're doing things right.
4/15/13 10:38 PM
mark of the wolf
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doubtful Dana adds a 145 women's division. God forbid someone someone say his meal ticket is running scared.
4/15/13 10:40 PM
BRZ

RIP Invicta FC if the UFC decides to take more weight classes. Phone Post 3.0
4/15/13 10:51 PM
I LOVE GSP
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they put on good fights , but I'm not really a fan of them taking up all the space they'll be taking up.
just buy Invicta Dana and rename it WUFC.
4/15/13 10:52 PM
chrisbaker

He must have been on the womens HW thread and heard some good ideas. Phone Post
4/15/13 11:05 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I LOVE GSP - they put on good fights , but I'm not really a fan of them taking up all the space they'll be taking up.
There should be woman, 135, and 125 separate from UFC Phone Post 3.0
4/15/13 11:06 PM
slamming

They need to cement the 135 division as a staple first.

The next weightclass they bring in will be interesting. I wouldnt be surprised if they skipped 125 and went with 115.
4/15/13 11:33 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lighter only please!~

4/15/13 11:52 PM
stonepony

Nucky - 

DW waited till Cyborg got tired of waiting in Limbo and left UFC to go guess what guys were bringing more weight classes!.  He didn't want Cyborg knocking out his Cash Cow like Cain did to Brock Lesnar.

They're going to add smaller divisions, not heavier divisions. There is nobody at 145lbs to sign. Nobody legitimate anyway.
4/16/13 12:00 AM
stonepony

BRZ - RIP Invicta FC if the UFC decides to take more weight classes. Phone Post 3.0

Disagree. This situation is completely different. Invicta has not tried to be adversarial. They haven't done anything to f' with the UFC. In fact they were going to allow Cyborg to sign with the UFC, and still fight Invicta fighters.

First time DW has been open to anything even close to co-promotion, and it's because Shannon Knapp had the brains to pursue a cooperative relationship with the UFC.

Unlike other organizations that decide to go head to head and get steamrolled. If Invicta is bought out (doubt it), it will be on good terms and it will be a good deal for Invicta and Knapp will have a job waiting for her if she wants it.

Bjork should take notes.
4/16/13 12:17 AM
Jone2tone
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonepony -
BRZ - RIP Invicta FC if the UFC decides to take more weight classes. Phone Post 3.0

Disagree. This situation is completely different. Invicta has not tried to be adversarial. They haven't done anything to f' with the UFC. In fact they were going to allow Cyborg to sign with the UFC, and still fight Invicta fighters.

First time DW has been open to anything even close to co-promotion, and it's because Shannon Knapp had the brains to pursue a cooperative relationship with the UFC.

Unlike other organizations that decide to go head to head and get steamrolled. If Invicta is bought out (doubt it), it will be on good terms and it will be a good deal for Invicta and Knapp will have a job waiting for her if she wants it.

Bjork should take notes.
Was WEC really adversarial? Phone Post 3.0
4/16/13 12:22 AM
mark of the wolf
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonepony - 
Nucky - 

DW waited till Cyborg got tired of waiting in Limbo and left UFC to go guess what guys were bringing more weight classes!.  He didn't want Cyborg knocking out his Cash Cow like Cain did to Brock Lesnar.

They're going to add smaller divisions, not heavier divisions. There is nobody at 145lbs to sign. Nobody legitimate anyway.

and Cris cyborg is not legitimate? Sniffing Ronda's panties much? Jesus, I could careless about sex apeal Cris cyborg Brings it. This whole "but she did steroids" is the Ronda white knights saving grace. Cyborg will continue to win and beat ass in impressive fashion. Stop being a hater dude.
4/16/13 12:59 AM
FunDeath4u

The only woman's weight class should be 110 to 120 pounds and they should do the classes by bust size... Wait, is that sexist?
4/16/13 1:37 AM
stonepony

Jone2tone - 
stonepony -

Bjork should take notes.
Was WEC really adversarial? Phone Post 3.0

You're right. I should have mentioned WEC as another good example of the right way to do it. They got bought out, on good terms. Everybody is happy.

Bellator will go the way of Pride, Affliction, Strikeforce, and how many others? Invicta won't. WEC didn't.

Bellator is going to be counter-programmed and pressured and they'll fold. Much cheaper for the UFC to sweep up the pieces that way anyway.

I suspect the UFC won't buy Invicta regardless. More likely they will help develop Invicta in to the marquee 2nd tier organization. MMA needs a major league and a triple-A. A farm team. Strikeforce could have been it. Bellator could have. etc.

4/16/13 1:39 AM
Chromium
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I LOVE GSP - they put on good fights , but I'm not really a fan of them taking up all the space they'll be taking up.

Yes because inviting comparisons to the WNBA is such a great business strategy.

If the UFC buys Invicta, keep the name Invicta FC, cross-promote, get it a good tv deal. Maybe put "The UFC Presents" on the marquee to make the connection more tangible. Turn the hexagon into an octagon for the sake of standardization.

Anyway I don't think that's about to happen, honestly. If they can continue to have a strategic relationship there's no reason for the UFC to buy them.

4/16/13 1:42 AM
stonepony

mark of the wolf - 
stonepony - 
Nucky - 

and Cris cyborg is not legitimate? Sniffing Ronda's panties much? Jesus, I could careless about sex apeal Cris cyborg Brings it. This whole "but she did steroids" is the Ronda white knights saving grace. Cyborg will continue to win and beat ass in impressive fashion. Stop being a hater dude.

Who is hating? Cyborg is a walking steroid. It's not hate, it's just a fact. I don't hate Cyborg. I'm just not a WWF kiddie who gushes over roid-monsters.

Cyborg will continue to beat up actual-females, yes. And she'll continue to juice. And she'll continue to hide behind those couple pounds of roid meat.

Subtract the cheating, and nobody would have ever heard of her. That's why she won't quit cheating. She has had more than enough time to drop a couple pounds of muscle.

Let her hide in the cellar with no spotlight if that's where she's happy.
4/16/13 1:58 AM
UGCTT_NKTKDace
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonepony -

Bjork should take notes.
This right here.

I must also add there are enough women to keep everyone happy. Phone Post
4/16/13 4:43 AM
Chromium
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slamming - They need to cement the 135 division as a staple first.

The next weightclass they bring in will be interesting. I wouldnt be surprised if they skipped 125 and went with 115.

I would. It'd be harder to explain to fans if their female divisions weren't contiguous the way the men's divisions were. Also some of their Bantamweights are just large Flyweights anyway right now and this should be even more true after TUF. If they launched a Flyweight division right away they would have Miesha Tate for it, who has confirmed on Twitter that that's her natural weight class. Also Rosi Sexton, Sheila Gaff, and possibly Alexis Davis (Cat Zingano also fought at Flyweight but she's since bulked up a bit more).

It's just the easiest way to do it and they'd be attracting some natural Strawweights in the process, which would help them with recognizable names for when they started that division too.

This also helps keep them from completely robbing Invicta before they become financially solvent.

So yeah, Women's Bantamweight now, and if that continues to be a success, Women's Flyweight in a year or so. I can easily see them add two more Women's divisions after that, but Bantamweight + Flyweight would be a good place for them to stop long enough for casual fans to get acclimated.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.