UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Savate, random thoughts and questions

4/16/13 7:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NCar
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm Canadian and there used to be this show in Canada called Deadly Arts. It was the same idea as Kill Arman, Fight Quest and Human Weapon but way before it's time. It followed this middle aged French Canadian woman who went around the world and learned different martial arts, and while it wasn't as good as the other ones I mentioned it was the first resource that introduced me to Savate. Upon my first introduction to it I fell in love with it, I found it beautiful and seemed to me to be devestatingly effective. Unfortunately I have a limited selection where I live and instead learned muay thai, kick-boxing and boxing which I absolutely love. The footwork and fluidity of the art seem different than most kick-boxing styles. They utilize kicks effectively that I rarely see in muay thai. Since I've got my tax return a week or two ago I haven't for the life of me found any instructional dvds in English for a reasonable price online? What would you guys recomend? I would love to find a way to incorporate some of the different kicks and footwork, aswell as some of the unconventional stuff.

Thanks.
4/16/13 1:13 PM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Same here. Really impressed with some Savateurs I got to spar with - and they're not even high level yet.

Big downside is that they don't clinch. But they're deadly from sniping distance. So it's very important for MT guys to use their forward pressure and not be too lazy with their footwork.
4/16/13 6:20 PM
NCar
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree, from watching what ever I can they seem precise, and their best range is just outside of kicking range where they just need to move slightly and land pinpoint combos. Another thing I've noticed in the higher level savate matches is that alot of the time the kicks outweigh the punches in number thrown. Almost like they have their own way of jabbing with kicks and following them up with power kick combos. Unique kick jabs too...
4/16/13 8:01 PM
sly fox
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/16/13 8:01 PM

straight blast gym had an instructional, check their site out.. I remember the series, and was training in India when they came to visit the school I was living at to film the kalaripayatt episode...never saw the episode, although I wasnt filmed

4/16/13 11:18 PM
NCar

That's pretty cool man, I've learned alot about Kalari since then, is it like how the show represented it though? Strictly learning the stretches, upon mastery then begining wood weapons, then steel, then unarmed? Other docs I've seen on it kind of suggest otherwise... Also thanks about the SBG info I'll search it!
4/16/13 11:31 PM
NCar

Looked it up and just ordered the first dvd, thanks man.
4/19/13 2:17 PM
sly fox
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/19/13 2:17 PM
NCar - That's pretty cool man, I've learned alot about Kalari since then, is it like how the show represented it though? Strictly learning the stretches, upon mastery then begining wood weapons, then steel, then unarmed? Other docs I've seen on it kind of suggest otherwise... Also thanks about the SBG info I'll search it!

well there are different styles northern, southerna nd central..most northern is done more like dance now, a lot of kalari is lost... the first thing are dynamic stretches, basically walking up and down doing different kicks, then forms, then wooden,  onto metal and finally the urumi, a flexible sword used as a whip... in southern its unarmed before weapons, and central as well, in northern, i learnt unarmed forms and then soon after started weapons and learnt alongside, but it might vary a bit with schools...all northern will start you on the kicking drills first before weapons... a lot of the combat application has been lost... southern style is often associated with gangster type characters

To begin  with the teacher wouldnt ever even talk to me, once a week we'd have breakfast, kind of a test to see my character, about six weeks after I was given 'a test of character' and then he started teaching me himself

Good luck with the dvd...

4/19/13 4:31 PM
Siciliano
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NCar,

where are you based in Canada? I'm in Vancouver.
4/19/13 4:53 PM
NCar

North Bay, Ontario.
4/22/13 12:46 PM
Siciliano

Nice. Seems like they have Savate in that part of the country. None here in BC. LOL.
5/3/13 4:22 PM
sly fox

there are some french ones too

5/30/13 6:48 PM
Siciliano

Ncar,

Hi bro. Are the tapes good? I might just order it from SBG too. :)

thanks bud

Toby
5/31/13 12:33 PM
Siciliano

Let's continue this discussion. I particularly like their footwork. Heard it was called decalage or de placement or something like that.

Andy Souwer was primarily a Svateur right who switched to European Muay Thai.
5/31/13 8:34 PM
luchador1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/31/13 8:43 PM
There is a guy who posts on the jkd forum (at least he used to) named Armando Basulto who teaches savate. Siciliano probably knows. He has trained (in seminars) with Richard Sylla, the guy who trains Josette (French Canadian woman) for the sparring session with the woman's champ in the savate episode of Deadly Arts. He could probably answers a lot of your questions.
5/31/13 10:25 PM
Siciliano

luchador1 - There is a guy who posts on the jkd forum (at least he used to) named Armando Basulto who teaches savate. Siciliano probably knows. He has trained (in seminars) with Richard Sylla, the guy who trains Josette (French Canadian woman) for the sparring session with the woman's champ in the savate episode of Deadly Arts. He could probably answers a lot of your questions.

Actually got to train with his students but never got to train w/ him although I've been stalking his vids on FB. LOL.

If I had to learn another martial art, it would be this. It's just that I have other priorities in life and there's no real Savate school where I'm located.
6/4/13 3:20 PM
Stickgrappler
1861 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The SBG Savate vids are by Dan Duby, he teaches the older street savate IIRC and not the sport He taught Paul Vunak.

Armando Basulto may be posting as BJJSavate or BJJ/Savate (or something similar).
6/4/13 9:22 PM
luchador1

Edited: 06/04/13 9:23 PM
I know what you're saying man. I learned French partly so I could study savate. Life got in the way. I have met a lot of cool people and done a lot of cool things having learned another language, but no savate : (
6/9/13 10:27 PM
Ham and Egger
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
6/12/13 5:20 AM
pheonix5
675 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/12/13 8:09 PM
I train with Armando and mentioned the discussion going on here. He's out of town right now, maybe he'll chime in later on. I would give my own thoughts but I train primarily BJJ. He teaches an MMA class on Sunday's with alternating cycles of Boxing, Muay Thai, and Savate. From my limited experience with Savate so far I think it compliments boxing very well. It's very precision based with good footwork and distance management. I plan on attending more classes when I can get a decent work schedule and get my lazy ass out of bed a 9:00 am.

His instruction is very good and if you're in the western NC area I highly recommend dropping in and observing a class. Here's his website

http://www.wncbjj.com/SitePages/Home.aspx

And an older website with good info

http://www.wayofnoway.com/
6/12/13 7:23 PM
Siciliano

luchador1 - I know what you're saying man. I learned French partly so I could study savate. Life got in the way. I have met a lot of cool people and done a lot of cool things having learned another language, but no savate : (

That is indeed sad bro. :( Sigh. I also think I'm a little too old to start learning it. 35 years. :(
6/12/13 8:11 PM
pheonix5
675 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Siciliano - 
luchador1 - I know what you're saying man. I learned French partly so I could study savate. Life got in the way. I have met a lot of cool people and done a lot of cool things having learned another language, but no savate : (

That is indeed sad bro. :( Sigh. I also think I'm a little too old to start learning it. 35 years. :(

No way dude. I'm going on 40. Don't let age be a factor.
6/12/13 8:17 PM
pheonix5

Here's a clip from his youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PYJ20EggeQ
6/13/13 2:52 PM
Siciliano

I'll see if I can make a trip to NC. Maybe teach an Ilustrisimo seminar there if Sifu Armando is up for it. Then train some BJJ too. :)
6/13/13 2:53 PM
Siciliano

pheonix5 - 
Siciliano - 

No way dude. I'm going on 40. Don't let age be a factor.

I know but right now I'm retired from MT Competition. Just doing BJJ nowadays and teaching Escrima. Old man martial art. LOL.
6/14/13 12:48 AM
luchador1

Heck no...I'm 39 and I still think I have some good training years ahead of me. If Bernard Hopkins can do his thing at his age, I can at least learn savate at mine.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.