UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mir: Lesnar would have been dominant in UFC...

4/16/13 6:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BrocksEliteStandUp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...if he never got diverticulitis

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/the_main_event/diverticulitis_says_lesnar_would_johQGFsdhpfy08Lywcm3pI#axzz2QfUh1ucG

"Brock Lesnar is currently working for WWE, playing a key role at Wrestlemania XXIX two weeks ago at MetLife Stadium.

He’s been back with the pro wrestling organization now for a year after starting with it from 2002 to 2004. But his greatest UFC rival, Frank Mir, can’t help but to wonder what-if when it comes to Lesnar’s MMA career.

“Honestly, I think the guy got so ill, he just couldn’t do it anymore,” Mir told The Post last week. “He had to leave or his quality of life wouldn’t have been normal.”

Lesnar, now 35, battled through two separate bouts of diverticulitis during his nearly four-year tenure with the UFC. The first time, in 2009, he needed surgery to repair a perforation in his intestine. Another procedure, to remove a 12-inch piece of his colon, was necessary in 2011.

Before getting sick, Lesnar beat Randy Couture to win the UFC title and defended the belt against Mir in a dominant performance. Mir actually submitted Lesnar in his UFC debut in 2008.

Lesnar really was never the same after the second Mir bout. He didn’t fight again until a year later due to the illness and was nearly knocked cold in the first round against Shane Carwin before rallying in the second to submit him.

Three months later, in October 2010, Lesnar was knocked out by Cain Velasquez, losing the title. He was then diagnosed with the second case of diverticulitis and sat out 14 months. In his second comeback fight, Lesnar was knocked out by Alistair Overeem in December 2011.

Lesnar announced his retirement from MMA afterward, finishing with just a 4-3 record in the UFC. Mir feels like that would have been much more impressive if Lesnar stayed healthy.

“We didn’t get to see the Brock I fought,” said Mir, who meets Daniel Cormier at UFC on FOX 7 on Saturday in San Jose, Calif. “Had he not been ill, things would have been different.”

UFC president Dana White said in January that last year he tried pulling Lesnar back for a massive fight with legendary heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko that would have headlined a card at Cowboys Stadium. But Emelianenko’s father died during negotiations and he decided not to go through with it. White said that Lesnar then conceded “I’m done, too.”

Mir and Lesnar had a contentious relationship in the UFC. Mir once said in an interview that he wanted to make Lesnar the first death in the Octagon. Mir said he doesn’t think much about the trilogy that could have been, though, “that would be something of a closure in my career.”

Mir is a two-time UFC heavyweight champion and doesn’t need the accolades. His hatred of Lesnar has clearly cooled over the years. Mir was outspoken before the Overeem fight that Lesnar would beat the massive Dutch kickboxer with his superior wrestling rather easily.

Of course, it didn’t turn out that way. Overeem targeted Lesnar’s damaged midsection. But Mir, even today, stands by his statements.

“The old Brock, I don’t think I would have been too far off,” he said.

Guess we will never see Mir vs Lesnar III.
4/16/13 6:49 PM
card5
604 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree Phone Post 3.0
4/16/13 6:52 PM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep Phone Post
4/16/13 6:52 PM
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I don't think he'd be champ, but he'd still be top 5 Phone Post
4/16/13 6:55 PM
Williambonney

No, he would have had a decent career but he wouldn't have been "dominant" unless he could learn to take a punch, he had great natural abilities, he was huge and quick but when he couldn't bully someone or they got a good punch in he broke even if he hadn't gotten sick he would have lost to the top tier strikers
4/16/13 6:56 PM
Rabid Bunyip
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Brock that fought herring, Mir, Randy - if he had maintained the physicality and kept training and learning, would have been hard to beat.

He'd need to have got used to standing and trading and sub defense. Everything else was there in raw material and wrestling Phone Post 3.0
4/16/13 6:57 PM
MMALOGIC

Brock with his colon intact would have killed overeem.

4/16/13 6:57 PM
epic hero

Size and strength will only get you so far in this sport, I'm sorry but that's the truth
4/16/13 7:01 PM

epic hero - Size and strength will only get you so far in this sport, I'm sorry but that's the truth
He had the wrestling too though. Enough to win a title. There's a few guys that would have beat him but Brock would have been a top 5 or top 10 heavyweight his whole career. Phone Post
4/16/13 7:03 PM
Metafour

To be honest after his surgery I don't think the condition would have continued to have a negative effect on him. The damaged portion of the intestine was removed.

It probably had an effect on him while he had the disease but afterwards I don't think so.

I'd like to hear a gastroenterologist weigh in on this. Phone Post
4/16/13 7:03 PM
UGCTT Molsonmuscle360
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Condit's Face Broke My Hand - 
epic hero - Size and strength will only get you so far in this sport, I'm sorry but that's the truth
He had the wrestling too though. Enough to win a title. There's a few guys that would have beat him but Brock would have been a top 5 or top 10 heavyweight his whole career. Phone Post

Not to mention, you may make jokes about his chin, but anyone who could stay concious during that beating from Carwin is a fucking animal.  Carwin looked like a bear on top of a girl guide in that first round.  95% of UFC heavyweights would have been asleep.

4/16/13 7:10 PM
BrattMamley
990 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I concur Phone Post 3.0
4/16/13 7:13 PM
Lurkdaddy316
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never expected this out of Mir. I guess he's done fishing for that third match.
4/16/13 7:17 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed entirely. Phone Post 3.0
4/16/13 7:20 PM
Kick Boxe
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Metafour - To be honest after his surgery I don't think the condition would have continued to have a negative effect on him. The damaged portion of the intestine was removed.

It probably had an effect on him while he had the disease but afterwards I don't think so.

He had like a foot of his colon removed homie. No athlete has ever come back from it Phone Post
4/16/13 7:21 PM
Entreri

There is no way he would be like Silva, GSP or Jones.

But he could have held belt a little longer before losing it forever.

He started too late, his reaction to getting hit in the face and other holes in his game.
4/16/13 7:28 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Metafour -  To be honest after his surgery I don't think the condition would have continued to have a negative effect on him. The damaged portion of the intestine was removed.

lol @ this post
4/16/13 7:32 PM
TuLegit

Then how is he able to still juice with it? Phone Post 3.0
4/16/13 7:33 PM
12SixElbow
617 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's hard to imagine how well he would have done...

Even with his setbacks look at his fucking career. He fought Frank fucking Mir in his second pro fight, that seems impossible doesn't it? Imagine throwing a non famous HW with 1 fight in with Frank Mir, would they even sanction it?

He beats Heath Herring, Couture, Carwin, and Mir.... An incredible streak.

Loses to Cain (No Shame there) comes off an over a year layoff and major fucking surgery to fight a juiced up Overeem. Incredibly tough career.

4/17/13 11:07 AM
DanEzra
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Classy Mir has replaced troll Mir. Long live classy Mir.

4/17/13 11:20 AM
Compression
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Enough with imagine what Brock could have been nonsense & remember this:

In a recent interview given to Jim Rome, Dana White was a little more candid than we have seen when discussing Brock Lesnar’s recent retirement, specifically what was going through the former UFC Heavyweight Champion’s mind moments after becoming permanently incontinent compliments of an Alistair Overeem body kick. “It felt like I got kicked by a horse,” said Lesnar. Ok, so maybe that’s an exaggeration, but White states that Lesnar didn’t see himself taking down “The Reem” anytime soon, figuratively or literally:

The conversations I’ve had with Brock Lesnar since that fight, all indications point to it’s over. … Here’s what Brock said to me, he said ‘I’ll tell you what after my surgery from diverticulitis, this last surgery I had, I have never felt so good in my life.’ He said ‘I’ve had the best camp I’ve ever had, no injuries, I was in great shape, all the things that could go right, went right, that guy is just that much better than me and it’s time for me to retire.

So get over it, Brock knew he couldn't hang with the higher level guys & didn't like getting hit!
4/17/13 11:38 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

UGCTT Molsonmuscle360 -
Condit's Face Broke My Hand - 

Not to mention, you may make jokes about his chin, but anyone who could stay concious during that beating from Carwin is a fucking animal.  Carwin looked like a bear on top of a girl guide in that first round.  95% of UFC heavyweights would have been asleep.

I have to concur. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 11:43 AM
AlexinTO

Williambonney - No, he would have had a decent career but he wouldn't have been "dominant" unless he could learn to take a punch, he had great natural abilities, he was huge and quick but when he couldn't bully someone or they got a good punch in he broke even if he hadn't gotten sick he would have lost to the top tier strikers
I remember Carwin laying all kinds of leather on Brock in their fight in the 1st round and Brock came out smiling in the 2nd and finished an exhausted Carwin.

At that point it sure seemed like Brock could take a few hard shots without quitting Phone Post
4/17/13 12:55 PM
R00STER

DanEzra - 

Classy Mir has replaced troll Mir. Long live classy Mir.

I'm not sure Mir's comments are all about being "classy". I think part of his motive is to say that he lost to a "different" Brock than the one that got destroyed by Cain and Overeem. It kinda makes HIM look better to say he lost to an unstoppable beast.
4/17/13 2:46 PM
XcessiveZ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Compression - Enough with imagine what Brock could have been nonsense & remember this:

In a recent interview given to Jim Rome, Dana White was a little more candid than we have seen when discussing Brock Lesnar’s recent retirement, specifically what was going through the former UFC Heavyweight Champion’s mind moments after becoming permanently incontinent compliments of an Alistair Overeem body kick. “It felt like I got kicked by a horse,” said Lesnar. Ok, so maybe that’s an exaggeration, but White states that Lesnar didn’t see himself taking down “The Reem” anytime soon, figuratively or literally:

The conversations I’ve had with Brock Lesnar since that fight, all indications point to it’s over. … Here’s what Brock said to me, he said ‘I’ll tell you what after my surgery from diverticulitis, this last surgery I had, I have never felt so good in my life.’ He said ‘I’ve had the best camp I’ve ever had, no injuries, I was in great shape, all the things that could go right, went right, that guy is just that much better than me and it’s time for me to retire.

So get over it, Brock knew he couldn't hang with the higher level guys & didn't like getting hit!
Did you watch the fight?Brock tried one half assed single leg and let it go then tried to strike with the Overeem, terrible gameplan, Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.