UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mir: Lesnar would have been dominant in UFC...

4/17/13 11:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AlexinTO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Williambonney - No, he would have had a decent career but he wouldn't have been "dominant" unless he could learn to take a punch, he had great natural abilities, he was huge and quick but when he couldn't bully someone or they got a good punch in he broke even if he hadn't gotten sick he would have lost to the top tier strikers
I remember Carwin laying all kinds of leather on Brock in their fight in the 1st round and Brock came out smiling in the 2nd and finished an exhausted Carwin.

At that point it sure seemed like Brock could take a few hard shots without quitting Phone Post
4/17/13 12:55 PM
R00STER

DanEzra - 

Classy Mir has replaced troll Mir. Long live classy Mir.

I'm not sure Mir's comments are all about being "classy". I think part of his motive is to say that he lost to a "different" Brock than the one that got destroyed by Cain and Overeem. It kinda makes HIM look better to say he lost to an unstoppable beast.
4/17/13 2:46 PM
XcessiveZ

Compression - Enough with imagine what Brock could have been nonsense & remember this:

In a recent interview given to Jim Rome, Dana White was a little more candid than we have seen when discussing Brock Lesnar’s recent retirement, specifically what was going through the former UFC Heavyweight Champion’s mind moments after becoming permanently incontinent compliments of an Alistair Overeem body kick. “It felt like I got kicked by a horse,” said Lesnar. Ok, so maybe that’s an exaggeration, but White states that Lesnar didn’t see himself taking down “The Reem” anytime soon, figuratively or literally:

The conversations I’ve had with Brock Lesnar since that fight, all indications point to it’s over. … Here’s what Brock said to me, he said ‘I’ll tell you what after my surgery from diverticulitis, this last surgery I had, I have never felt so good in my life.’ He said ‘I’ve had the best camp I’ve ever had, no injuries, I was in great shape, all the things that could go right, went right, that guy is just that much better than me and it’s time for me to retire.

So get over it, Brock knew he couldn't hang with the higher level guys & didn't like getting hit!
Did you watch the fight?Brock tried one half assed single leg and let it go then tried to strike with the Overeem, terrible gameplan, Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 2:52 PM
Authority Figure

Chaelismyhero -
epic hero - Size and strength will only get you so far in this sport, I'm sorry but that's the truth

Umm...Every hear of wrestling? Brock is pretty good at it.
This wrestling was sick. I dislike him so much, but its on obvious that most heavyweights were not going to beat him. His wrestling, speed and size were too much. Phone Post
4/17/13 3:49 PM
JerodR
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/17/13 4:58 PM
Dbl..
4/17/13 4:05 PM
Compression
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First off X he didn't come in with a bad game plan, Overeem took him out of his game plan. He stayed low, had good foot movement & kept Brock back pedaling. Second off everybody arguing that it was Brock's disease has no argument when Brock even admitted that he never felt better in his life. It's all in my post, get over it already Brock knew he could never beat him & wasn't on the same level. He knew he got lucky that Carwin gassed, he knew he'd get beaten down bad again by Cain & Overeem & he wanted nothing to do with the sport now that everyone figured him out & knew he hated to get hit.

Again: "I’ll tell you what after my surgery from diverticulitis, this last surgery I had, I have never felt so good in my life.’ He said ‘I’ve had the best camp I’ve ever had, no injuries, I was in great shape, all the things that could go right, went right, that guy is just that much better than me and it’s time for me to retire.
4/17/13 4:05 PM
Compression
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/17/13 4:09 PM
First off X he didn't come in with a bad game plan, Overeem took him out of his game plan. He stayed low, had good foot movement & kept Brock back pedaling. Brock actually tried to shoot for a take down about 5 times in 2 minutes, but Alistair's movement & positioning was too good. Second off everybody arguing that it was Brock's disease has no argument when Brock even admitted that he never felt better in his life. It's all in my post, get over it already Brock knew he could never beat him & wasn't on the same level. He knew he got lucky that Carwin gassed, he knew he'd get beaten down bad again by Cain & Overeem & he wanted nothing to do with the sport now that everyone figured him out & knew he hated to get hit.<br /><br />Again: "I’ll tell you what after my surgery from diverticulitis, this last surgery I had, I have never felt so good in my life.’ He said ‘I’ve had the best camp I’ve ever had, no injuries, I was in great shape, all the things that could go right, went right, that guy is just that much better than me and it’s time for me to retire.<br />
4/17/13 4:26 PM
12SixElbow
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Compression - First off X he didn't come in with a bad game plan, Overeem took him out of his game plan. He stayed low, had good foot movement & kept Brock back pedaling. Second off everybody arguing that it was Brock's disease has no argument when Brock even admitted that he never felt better in his life. It's all in my post, get over it already Brock knew he could never beat him & wasn't on the same level. He knew he got lucky that Carwin gassed, he knew he'd get beaten down bad again by Cain & Overeem & he wanted nothing to do with the sport now that everyone figured him out & knew he hated to get hit.

Again: "I’ll tell you what after my surgery from diverticulitis, this last surgery I had, I have never felt so good in my life.’ He said ‘I’ve had the best camp I’ve ever had, no injuries, I was in great shape, all the things that could go right, went right, that guy is just that much better than me and it’s time for me to retire.

You can't trust ANYTHING a fighter says about feeling well / not feeling well.

Some guys will come in hurt, and lie to the death saying they were fine,

other guys will make excuses and bring up injuries.

Brock saying he never felt better means dick, he came off an over a year layoff and a major surgery... it either had a big effect on him, OR he is the only fighter in the history of combat sports to not be effected by major surgery and a long layoff.

4/17/13 4:58 PM
JerodR
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Compression - Enough with imagine what Brock could have been nonsense & remember this:

In a recent interview given to Jim Rome, Dana White was a little more candid than we have seen when discussing Brock Lesnar’s recent retirement, specifically what was going through the former UFC Heavyweight Champion’s mind moments after becoming permanently incontinent compliments of an Alistair Overeem body kick. “It felt like I got kicked by a horse,” said Lesnar. Ok, so maybe that’s an exaggeration, but White states that Lesnar didn’t see himself taking down “The Reem” anytime soon, figuratively or literally:

The conversations I’ve had with Brock Lesnar since that fight, all indications point to it’s over. … Here’s what Brock said to me, he said ‘I’ll tell you what after my surgery from diverticulitis, this last surgery I had, I have never felt so good in my life.’ He said ‘I’ve had the best camp I’ve ever had, no injuries, I was in great shape, all the things that could go right, went right, that guy is just that much better than me and it’s time for me to retire.

So get over it, Brock knew he couldn't hang with the higher level guys & didn't like getting hit!

So you are saying Dana never tells a lie as a promoter. Interesting...

That was Brock trying to be what he once was for that last moment, and a big paycheck. It is not like Brock is going to come out and say he didn't feel like he should be fighting or anything. He has an ego, and too much pride to do that.

If you are a promoter, and the new muscle bound guy beats your biggest PPV draw who then retires after the fight, what are you going to say? Dana said exactly what I would have said to pass that torch to Overeem. You make the most of a bad situation in that case.
4/17/13 5:03 PM
Metafour

Kick Boxe -
Metafour - To be honest after his surgery I don't think the condition would have continued to have a negative effect on him. The damaged portion of the intestine was removed.

It probably had an effect on him while he had the disease but afterwards I don't think so.

I'd like to hear a gastroenterologist weigh in on this. Phone Post
He had like a foot of his colon removed homie. No athlete has ever come back from it Phone Post
Professional boxer Allan Green had 85% (over 4 feet) of his colon removed in 2007 and won his next 6 fights. He still continues to compete at the highest level. Phone Post
4/17/13 5:05 PM
Metafour

SKARHEAD -
Metafour -  To be honest after his surgery I don't think the condition would have continued to have a negative effect on him. The damaged portion of the intestine was removed.

It probably had an effect on him while he had the disease but afterwards I don't think so.

lol @ this post
Explain to me what is funny? What negative effect would this successful surgery would have had? The only thing I can think of is he might have to have a bowel movement more often.

WHILE he had diverticulitis is a completely different story. Phone Post
4/17/13 5:18 PM
Compression

Everything Brock does is about a paycheck that's why he is not fit for being a true fighter. Fighters fight because they love it. He never loved it, he liked when it was easy & hated it as soon as it wasn't. Ge wouldn't be able to do pro wrestling if he was still having issues with the disease, you take way too many bumps. It may be scripted but it beats up on your body big time. Brock hasn't said shit to make anyone feel like he is still suffering, nor has he acted like it by going back to pro wrestling which he never really liked in the first place. He just doesn't have to worry about getting punched in the face anymore.

He beat Frank Mir who can't take a punch. Heath Hearing who was already ready to walk away from MMA & way past his prime. & he beat a 45 year old Randy Couture who hadn't fought in almost a year & a half & was out weighed by 45lbs at weigh ins & a whole lot more come fight time. He got beaten down by Carwin & only won cause Carwin gassed himself out bad & got destroyed by Cain & Overeem.

Again.... GET OVER IT! He couldn't take a punch & when you can't you'll never hang with the big boys for long.
4/17/13 5:20 PM
XFactah416

Mir knows.

Brock showed a fuck ton of improvement each and every single time before his medical issues flared up.

I don't know if he beats Cain Velasquez but a healthy, prime Brock Lesnar with 2 more years of experience would've given the Reem nightmares.
4/17/13 6:32 PM
WALES1
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Compression - Enough with imagine what Brock could have been nonsense & remember this:

That's Dana selling the fight.

It's PPV, bro. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 6:33 PM
WALES1
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Metafour -
Kick Boxe -
Metafour - To be honest after his surgery I don't think the condition would have continued to have a negative effect on him. The damaged portion of the intestine was removed.

He had like a foot of his colon removed homie. No athlete has ever come back from it Phone Post
Professional boxer Allan Green had 85% (over 4 feet) of his colon removed in 2007 and won his next 6 fights. He still continues to compete at the highest level. Phone Post
Who? Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 6:39 PM
1armedScissor
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's with all this "breaking" bullshit. He sure as fuck didn't "break" against Carwin and he didn't break against Overeem. To say otherwise isn't just ignorant is disrespectful to Brock as well as disrespectful to Carwin and Overeem. Phone Post
4/17/13 6:45 PM
EckY
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His striking defence was always gonna be a problem, Overeem would have smashed him regardless of the illness.
4/17/13 6:49 PM
Metafour

WALES1 -
Metafour -
Kick Boxe -

Who? Phone Post 3.0
He's been in there with some high level boxers...

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=149791&cat=boxer Phone Post
4/17/13 7:05 PM
WALES1

Never heard of him.

Did he just continue to fight after surgery? Get close to a title shot? Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 7:07 PM
Emphatik
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When Lesnar came in I wanted him to fail, because I new the WWE kids would spaz out all over the forums, but there would be very few fighters in history who had a harder first 7 fights and performed so well.

I was suprised how well he actually did and grudgingly had to give him credit. There is no question that at 35 years old, having been hospitalised, and out of action for close to two years after already coming into the sport so late, that we missed out on seeing what he was really capable of.

It also demonstrates the toll that training at the top level takes on the body, even on an elite athlete and genetic freak.
4/17/13 7:14 PM
WALES1

I did a bit of research.

Green is legit.

He also states that the illness and surgery stopped him from reaching the top and was a major factor when he lost. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 7:22 PM
BrocksEliteStandUp

Like many newer fans Brock was the reason I got into MMA, UFC 91 was the first ever UFC I watched live for his title fight with Couture. I was shouting things at the TV like 'pick him up' and 'slam him', I soon realized this wasn't pro wrestling of which I was a fan of since the early 90's :).

I have watched Lesnar's fights several times and as early as the Couture fight you could see that he was not comfortable at all with being hit in the face, even with what most fighters would consider 'smaller shots'. I genuinely believe that if Randy had taken him to the third and fourth round Brock would have ran out of gas.

In the second Mir fight Frank caught him with an elbow which had him turning away and cowering but he threw a jumping knee right after it which enabled Lesnar to get on top of him and it ultimately ended up as the final position of the match.

If I'm honest the Carwin fight should have been stopped in the first, several fights nowadays are stopped far sooner than the kind of punishment Brock was taking but apparently there was an agreement with the referee backstage which meant he gave them much more time to respond and defend as he knew how hard they both hit, the same rules would have applied for Carwin had he been on the other end of a beating.

He was just taken apart by perhaps one of the greatest HW's I've ever seen in the Cain match but I still say to this day that the final punch Cain threw which put Brock down for the final time landed squarely on the back of his head, after getting a point taken away in the first fight with Mir for something much less blatant, I would have been really annoyed if I was Brock. Cain was just too much anyway, the perfect storm of kick boxing, MMA wrestling and cardio.

In the Overeem fight Brock looked to me like a man that was just going through the motions to complete his UFC obligations (although I have a hunch that Brock still has one more UFC match in his contract and was let go to sign his lucrative 1 year $5 million WWE deal with the stipulation that it was left open as a possibility for the future (Mir III or a super fight with Fedor).

No other fighter will ever step into the Octagon having only one professional fight under his belt again imo and go on to face the at the time 'who's who' of HW competition.

Brock can be very proud of having a 4-3 record against the very cream of UFC HW's and after only 8 pro MMA fights.

If he had joined an MMA gym straight from college after his amazing wrestling career he could have been one of the very best UFC HW's of all time but that is all if's, but's and maybe's.

Having just signed a new two year WWE deal which will take him to the brink of being 38 years old, I think we can safely put to bed the notion that he will ever return to the UFC.

As for me, I'm now a massive UFC fan, watch every event, read this site regularly and cannot take pro wrestling seriously anymore.

The biggest impact Brock Lesnar had on the UFC was to open the sport up to millions of new people, some of which like me have remained as long term fans and for that he should be respected and admired.
4/17/13 7:24 PM
Corey

Metafour -  To be honest after his surgery I don't think the condition would have continued to have a negative effect on him. The damaged portion of the intestine was removed.

My Uncle just had this shit and it isn't as simple as getting surgury and your good. It forces lif changes.
4/17/13 7:24 PM
Metafour

WALES1 - I did a bit of research.

Green is legit.

He also states that the illness and surgery stopped him from reaching the top and was a major factor when he lost. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah he had surgery in 2007, won 6 in a row (including the WBO super middleweight title). Fought the still undefeated Andre Ward for the WBA super middleweight title and lost. Then won a couple fights and fought for the WBC light heavyweight title and lost. His last fight (maybe two) he has won. Phone Post
4/17/13 7:31 PM
Leghound
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrocksEliteStandUp -voted up

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.