UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Any love for Civ 5?

4/16/13 8:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
I hate links & marketing
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone out there playing it? Picked it up after finishing Bioshock Infinite, its a fun game to get into for strategy gamers who dont mind the turn based format. Phone Post
4/16/13 9:17 PM
gord96
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great game. Was into it for a while when it came out. Phone Post 3.0
4/16/13 9:31 PM
PrettyCoolGuy
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's been on my wishlist on steam forever... I always miss when it drops in sales - it's been £5 and £9 in sales and I missed them both. Don't like the idea of spending £20 when I know they drop that low!

Also there is a decent mod community for it. I saw 'a mod of ice and fire', for any game of thrones fans. It changes the civilisations into houses and alters the technology routes, also giving certain houses certain units to show their strength.
4/16/13 11:56 PM
Greenup
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love civ 5. Will have to check out that mod. Phone Post
4/17/13 4:00 AM
The King of Late Night

Almost bought this the other day on steam. Idk if I can get into the turn based system. I played the demo and wasn't really digging it and ended up not buying it. I used to like age of empires but I recently bought the 3rd and it just wasnt really all that great IMO. I'm looking for a decent strategy/ RTS to start playing on pc. Suggestions? Or should I go back and give civ 5 more of a chance? Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 4:06 AM
Greenup
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will like civ 5 if you stick with it. Age of empires 2 hd is pretty good. Starcraft and warcraft are good rts games also Phone Post
4/17/13 9:12 AM
Sublime7SD
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Civ 5, but it scratches a slightly different itch than RTS games like WC3, SC2, and the Command and Conquer series. I really enjoy trying to maximize the speed at which I accomplish my goals in Civ 5, whether it be technological advancement, city population, city expansion rate, whatever. The turn based gameplay has always steered me away from conquest, as I just feel unchallenged with combat divided into turns. So Civ has it's own little niche for me among the games I like to play because of the diverse goals. There is always a new way to try things.

I don't play it much anymore, but I've spent quite a bit of time playing it in the past. Less time than I've spent playing WC3 and SC2, but more time than I've spent on any Command and Conquer game, except for the original. C&C: Tiberium Dawn (the original, aka C&C 95 or C&C Gold) was the first "ladder" game I played online, and I played a lot of it. I haven't played any C&C online since, only WC2/3 and SC1/2.
4/17/13 9:40 AM
Skeletor68
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have they fixed the bug with automated workers yet? I played nothing but Alpha Centauri in that series until recently and actually got a little bored :(.

Must be me though.

4/17/13 10:37 AM
Jons Forsberg

I liked Civ IV better, but V is also good.
4/17/13 6:37 PM
Malvert the Janitor
886 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love Civ 5. I'll have to try that mod! Phone Post 3.0
4/19/13 7:45 PM
blunt minded
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lets get an OG game going on steam!
4/19/13 8:14 PM
gord96

blunt minded - Lets get an OG game going on steam!
That could be fun. I'd reinstall for that. Phone Post 3.0
4/19/13 8:17 PM
Squatdog

I still play every now and again.

Got a 3,000+ point space race victory last week.
4/19/13 10:53 PM
blunt minded
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I forgot how much I suck. Getting my ass handed to me Phone Post 3.0
4/20/13 12:39 AM
Whambo
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With Gods & kings it's the best civ game yet. A new expansion is coming out July 9th, so if you don't think it's better than Civ IV yet, it definately will be with the addition of all the stuff from the next expansion.
4/20/13 5:13 AM
I hate links & marketing

blunt minded - Lets get an OG game going on steam!
Let's do it! Phone Post
4/20/13 9:42 AM
gord96

Whambo - With Gods & kings it's the best civ game yet. A new expansion is coming out July 9th, so if you don't think it's better than Civ IV yet, it definately will be with the addition of all the stuff from the next expansion.

Tell me more about Gods and Kings. The scenarios look fun (30 years war etc and the Steampunk one).
4/20/13 11:56 AM
Bewts
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

G&K adds quit a bit of depth to the game, being a peaceful player most of the time I'm loving it. Haven't tried out the scenarios yet though
4/21/13 8:00 PM
ComeatMeBro
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have civ 5 no expansions....if I do get the expansions do people still play on steam?
4/21/13 10:07 PM
blunt minded

Edited: 04/23/13 2:06 AM
i'm down to play. my name on steam is Murkin Fools

i have GnK and all the dlc.

i suck so don't worry, you'll kick my ass
4/22/13 2:43 PM
Bewts
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lots of mods are G&K only. I'm guessing they will have some kind of sale when they release Brave new World in june.
4/22/13 4:24 PM
smth416
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i suck balls at this game. I'm not challenging anyone until I get a bit better.
4/23/13 12:22 AM
blunt minded

Bewts - Lots of mods are G&K only. I'm guessing they will have some kind of sale when they release Brave new World in june.
I got GnK with all the dlc for $40 about a month ago Phone Post 3.0
4/23/13 8:25 AM
PrettyCoolGuy
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Something I don't understand about steam. You can get Civ 5 for £19.99. You can buy Gods and Kings for 19.99. You can buy every expansion and addon ever for like £50. OR you can buy all these combined for 29.99?

If any one wants those expansions, buy the gold edition and save tons.
4/24/13 9:52 AM
Okkun
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If anyone's interested in startegygames, and would like to get something "deeper" than what Civ5 offers, I would recommend:

Europa Universalis 3
Victoria 2
Crusader Kings 2

and if you are really brave, Hearts of Iron 3

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.