UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Roufus: Pettis could be the next Anderson Silva

4/16/13 10:36 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

At only twenty six years old, Duke Roufus protege Anthony Pettis is already considered one of the best MMA fighters in the world. The flashy and effective strikers already owns some of the best knockouts and highlight reel striking in the UFC.  According to his coach, in an interview with MMAMania, Pettis might soon be considered amongst the elite:

Brian Hemminger (MMAmania.com): Who do you think has the best Muay Thai that's applicable to MMA today?

Duke Roufus: Oh for sure it's Anderson Silva. I have huge respect for Anderson Silva. He's the best all around striker in mixed martial arts. For sure he's got a good fluid style and he uses the Thai clinch well. This is going to sound arrogant but I think in a few short years, you're going to see Anthony Pettis looking like Anderson Silva.

Anthony is a huge student. He really digs into my mind. He wants to know my old heroes I studied. He wants to know the new school fighters. I just watched a kickboxing event in Cambodia and there's a 12 hour difference in Thailand and I watch the fights. That's how much of a combat sports nerd I am. I watch Glory this past weekend, Lion Fights, everything. With the internet I can watch this stuff right away compared to before when I had to trade tapes with my buddies around the world. I can stay on top of all the information and media.

read entire interview...

4/16/13 10:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
aka_rtotheoh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

would be amazing to train with Duke. Phone Post
4/16/13 10:39 PM
D TRE
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First

4/16/13 10:39 PM
D TRE
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damnit...

4/16/13 10:41 PM
shaqitup
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What with "only 26 years old"?

Seems like a pretty damn prime age to me.

4/16/13 11:02 PM
Jack Carter
326 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Um, no.

He won't be remembered for long Phone Post 3.0
4/16/13 11:14 PM
Lobo8

Jack Carter - Um, no.

Pettis is already legendary. That showtime kick is an mma highlight classic. Anthony is almost as dynamic as silva but will he be able to get the belt and pull of streak, thats the question that needs to get answered.
4/16/13 11:17 PM
John M
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pettis no has matrix abilities....
4/16/13 11:22 PM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pettis is a beast only time will tell though. Phone Post
4/16/13 11:23 PM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Refuse to Lose - Pettis is a beast only time will tell though. Phone Post
Just want to add I do believe he can be the Anderson Silva of FW at LW there's to many Wrestlers at the top. Phone Post
4/16/13 11:26 PM
Tharian

John M - Pettis no has matrix abilities....

There's only One !
4/16/13 11:28 PM
Refuse to Lose

Jack Carter - Um, no.

He's going to be here for a while buddy no reason to hate on an exciting fighter. Phone Post
4/16/13 11:32 PM
Chris
345 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO
shaqitup - 

What with "only 26 years old"?

Seems like a pretty damn prime age to me.

b/c the comparison is to Anderson Silva, who is now 38 yrs old.

4/16/13 11:34 PM
Tharian

Jack Carter - Um, no.

Who ?!
4/16/13 11:35 PM
Matt Perry

Jack Carter - Um, no.

You are wrong. Remember me saying this. Then 5 years from now, reflect on this. Phone Post
4/16/13 11:47 PM
stainlesssteel

Douke Roufus is the Dana White of Duke Roufus.

4/16/13 11:48 PM
rampageforpresident

If he beats Aldo, I'm not sure who could take him at 145 and he already beat the 155 champ. He could be one of the all time greats. I just wonder if pettis has the boxing needed for this, or if he favors kicks too much. He might have to improve his wrestling a bit (the guida fight), but it will be fun to see how he develops. he's better than anderson was at 26
4/16/13 11:49 PM
Duke Roufus
348 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stainlesssteel - 

Douke Roufus is the Dana White of Duke Roufus.

LoL
4/17/13 12:38 AM
whoabro

Duke seems like a cool guy, and not one to make statements he doesnt believe. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 1:36 AM
The Don Dada

Refuse to Lose -
Refuse to Lose - Pettis is a beast only time will tell though. Phone Post
Just want to add I do believe he can be the Anderson Silva of FW at LW there's to many Wrestlers at the top. Phone Post
Disagree, I don't see him beating Jose Aldo Phone Post
4/17/13 1:40 AM
MasterofMartialArts
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rampageforpresident - If he beats Aldo, I'm not sure who could take him at 145 and he already beat the 155 champ. He could be one of the all time greats. I just wonder if pettis has the boxing needed for this, or if he favors kicks too much. He might have to improve his wrestling a bit (the guida fight), but it will be fun to see how he develops. he's better than anderson was at 26
Good post.
If he beats Aldo, it's hard to see how he loses at that weight class with improved wrestling, especially if the cut feels good an he can perform well. I just hope he continues to improve his wrestling and striking, and that he doesn't get cocky and undertrain. Dude is a fucking beast. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 1:47 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
436 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He doesn't have the boxing skills that Anderson does.

4/17/13 1:50 AM
ender852
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aldo is the Anderson of featherweight...

Anderson said one time that if he and Aldo weighed the same he would quit fighting.

4/17/13 1:53 AM
Condit's Face Broke My Hand
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh -

He doesn't have the boxing skills that Anderson does.

I don't think he does anything as well as Anderson besides kick. Pettis is more athletic though Phone Post
4/17/13 2:03 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
436 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/17/13 2:03 AM

@OTSS - Agreed. He doesn't use angles or manage distance nearly as well as Andy. He hasn't demonstrated any clinch striking either.  And we don't even have to talk about the skill difference in striking defense lol.

But as you said, I don't think we're gonna see Andy running off the side of the cage and knocking down a top 10 P4P quality fighter with a flying kick like Pettis did.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.