UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones: Talking trash does nothing for the fight

4/16/13 10:46 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
916 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

On tonight's episode of UFC Tonight on Fuel TV, UFC lightheavyweight champion Jon Jones spoke out about his feelings coming into the fight and why he has refrained from playing into Sonnen's pre-fight trash talk campaign:

UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones’ response to Chael Sonnen’s comments on Twitter and UFC TONIGHT: “I don’t really have too much of a response. Chael’s doing what he does best. He’s promoting a fight and I’m going to let him do it.”

Jones on why he’s not trash talking before UFC 159: “I realize through experience that talking trash does nothing for the fight.”

Jones on what he’s most concerned about against Sonnen: “I’m really not concerned with too many of Chael’s gifts. Chael is an awesome fighter, he has pretty good boxing, he loves wrestling and he’s been really successful with his wrestling. He has really good ground-and-pound. I’ve just familiarized myself with the whole thing and I’m really comfortable with what I’m getting ready to face. I wouldn’t say any of it really concerns me. I’m just ready to go out there, react, be instinctual, do my best and try to do what I do.”

Jones on if he has something to say to Sonnen: “I’d tell him to bring it. Bring your best. I hope you’re having a great camp and I hope you’re healthy and I’m excited for this awesome challenge.”

4/16/13 10:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chaelismyhero
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And new UFC Light Heavyweight Champion of the world...

(I know you read that in Bruce Buffer's voice.)
4/16/13 10:57 PM
Vikingknee

Id bang Phone Post 3.0
4/16/13 11:00 PM
Allucard

Sad but Jones is right. I don't feel like he needs to say it out loud but no one talks about it so i understand that. Sonnen's lack of testosterone comes from we all know what. Medical cases of abnormal low test are very few and far between. What are the chances 40%+ of those do MMA for a living and are buddies (thinking Chael and Marquardt)?
I feel Jones is trying hard to antagonize Sonnen but the steroids remarks aren't helping. Others should be doing that and fighting for a cleaner sport.
4/16/13 11:06 PM
sacredhate
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones is somewhat right...and his confidence is appropriate...just a shame he didn't have it last time Chael was booked to fight him.

and the "talking trash does nothing for a fight". well, he's wrong about that...when Chael does it...it turns the fight into a money maker...i suppose he's right when he says his trash talking is irrelevant...that part appear to be true. of course he's a legit bad ass so he shouldn't need to talk.
4/16/13 11:06 PM
Doem

despite his history with PEs im still rooting for Chael. Even though I know I shouldn't im still rooting for him. the dynamic of this fight is tailor made to root for chael
4/17/13 1:14 AM
MMA6053
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chaelismyhero - And new UFC Light Heavyweight Champion of the world...

(I know you read that in Bruce Buffer's voice.)

Almost as funny as Chaels spinning back fist against Silva in their rematch.

4/17/13 1:30 AM
HandyDarsh
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

......as jones accuses Chael of life long roiding Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 11:01 AM
10mtncombat
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael is in his head plain and simple...this is just admitting it that's all
4/17/13 11:41 AM
da Vinci 81
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At this point I don't think chael's trash talk is helping to sell the fight. Everyone saw his real personality on TUF and he's even admitted to liking jones as a person.

If he wanted to really sell it he should have been acting like a complete jackass on TUF so people would genuinely want to see him get his ass kicked. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 11:43 AM
Zed Wayne Zed
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon is 100% right.

Sonnen has been caught cheating before.

Does not deserve this title shot.

Tell 'em the truth, Bones.
4/17/13 11:48 AM
frankiscool
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Underground Blargh - 

Jones: Talking trash does nothing for the fight............talks trash.

this
4/17/13 11:48 AM
MrMichaelz

It would be kinda neat to see Chael win.. actually to see Jones lose because he doesn't seem to get the "game"

He can literally finish Sonnen when and however he wants to, so I don't see the point in the champ promoting a circus fight. This is time for him to heal his elbow and possibly move to HW. Chael is top 5 @ 185.. maybe top 25 @ 205 but who really know.. this fight sucks!
4/17/13 12:00 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's an amazing fighter, but a horrible promoter. Always trying to come up with these enlightening one liners.

This is his 2nd fight in a row to take on a MW. Jones could be at HW if he wanted. Sorry, but not even Chael can troll me into this PPV.
4/17/13 12:07 PM
mysticdragonblackbelt

IMO if the best training partner to simulate Jones that Chael could find was Luc from TUF, he's in for a long night. (Not trying to bash Luc and not implying it's easy to find a fighter to simulate Jones.)
4/17/13 12:10 PM
GloverRampagedMyBrownEye
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HandyDarsh - ......as jones accuses Chael of life long roiding Phone Post 3.0
This.

F-JBJ I can't stand him Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 12:41 PM
Arse Face
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trash talking will get him more PPV buys
4/17/13 3:36 PM
Chulio
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I accept what Jones says, but that is just me.
I have never bought a PPV based on the hype. I deliberately did not buy one because of hype, because I thought Chael did not deserve to be next in line. After seeing Chael on TUF I like the guy and understand he does it for his career but that does not mean the guys faking the dislike are going to sway my purchase.

I will say I don't watch all the PPV's because I have to choose how I spend my money. I almost enjoy the banter on the UG after the fight
4/17/13 4:53 PM
6ULDV8
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really don't understand why two guys at the top of the game can't like and respect each other and put on a great fight.

It's work.  You should love what you do and work hard.

After work, have a beer and appreciate the shitkicking you put on each other.

No reason for manufactured hate.

4/17/13 5:26 PM
Wittsy
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cruz does alright answering questions, but somebody needs to save him from asking questions in interviews.
4/17/13 5:29 PM
FunDeath4u

All this has made me a JBJ fan!
4/17/13 5:31 PM
FunDeath4u

Bones made Chael look stupid by not saying much. Chael is like a joke speaking next to a martial artist.
4/17/13 8:29 PM
sevr1

Wittsy - Cruz does alright answering questions, but somebody needs to save him from asking questions in interviews.

Agreed. Get him out of there!
4/18/13 7:39 AM
EdTheGreat

You know what does nothing for the fight, saying absolutely nothing at all

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.