UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Strength Training "APP"

4/17/13 1:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Taku
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi Gang,

I am in the process of developing a Strength Training & Conditioning  "APP(s)". I have tons of (what I think) are good ideas. I would love to get feedback from as many of you as possible about what you think a really good Strength Training & Conditioning "APP" should be able to do.

Together this can be a collaborative process and perhaps we will create the best S&C "APP(s)" out there.

Transparently I don't give a crap about any social networking components, however I am willing to consider these if enough people seem to think it's important / valuable.

Thanks in advance for your time regarding this topic. I do appreciate it.

TAKU

4/17/13 2:41 PM
vermonter
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First, stop capitalizing and quoting app every time you write it. That will help. (Although I do recommend you bold it everytime, and maybe up the font size by one or two.... just kidding.)

You should definitely add a social component. Not only is exercising socially more motivating for almost everyone, it will help get more people involved in using your app.

As for what it should have... definitely graphs of progress over time... vermonter loves graphs. Outside of that, it really depends on what you have in mind.
4/17/13 4:09 PM
Taku
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/17/13 4:11 PM

Hey "VERMONTER"

Thanks for your thoughts on the social aspect. I concur with the graphs idea...definitely plan on having the ability to track progress over time.

As for your other comments, ..."BITE ME"

maq102192,

Thanks for the suggestions.

"TAKU"

4/17/13 5:43 PM
SesameTako
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the option of being able to identify benchmark lifts that I want to chart. A lot of apps assume what you're interested in benchmarking and don't allow flexibility.

I like the idea of tracking comments from a calendar view where you can see everything from a monthly view.

A chart that tracked estimated max as an option would be good.

Exporting the log to excel would be interesting for further analysis. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/13 10:00 PM
WilsonBeatMySkinRed
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would give you my ideas but my sister and I are currently writing a powerlifting and strongman app. good luck to you sir.
4/18/13 11:37 AM
ArtisticStrength
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I made myself a little calender on a white board that tells me my workouts on each day and how much weight I will be lifting that day. That way I know that I will be adding weight and progressing.

Prior to this I wasn't tracking the weight I was lifting and pretty much stalled in my strength gains. I think some sort of calender in the app could be very useful Phone Post
4/18/13 3:11 PM
oioisavvy
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if you've seen the runtastic push up, pull up etc apps but they have some nice features.
A calender where you can click and set your plan to continue from that day with the rest of the schedule readjusting itself.
The ability to earn badges for accomplishments such as doing extra reps on your last set,doing 500 reps etc and share these on social networks allowing both bragging rights and useful advertising for you.
Somewhere to sync results online would be good, both to share with friends and to enable multiple devices to be used. Phone Post
4/18/13 4:43 PM
Wiggy
299 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have had similar thoughts myself. Will come back later to throw some food for thought out there.
4/18/13 7:02 PM
shootfighterbull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

make sure it's asthetically pleasing. The Big Lifts app is a good example of what I mean.
4/18/13 7:32 PM
Wiggy
299 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a few of my customers asking me to put out an app for my programs, so I started to kinda think about what I'd put into an app.

The issue you run into is mainly what is the purpose of the app in the first place? To support a program/workout? To be a program/workout? Simply a reference guide of some sort? A scheduling device? A tracking mechanism or a way to journal your workouts/progress?

I know with my own programs, there's enough difference/variation between them all such that to have many of these features for all of them would turn it into a pretty big project. If I wanted to limit the functionality to just one program of mine, then it would limit the scope/reach.

But on the flip side, if you make it too general, then there are likely plenty of other apps out there that would do the same thing.

Like Taku, what would your app support for weight training? You're an HIT fan, but many others are not. If you made it fit what you do and have others do, then it would support HIT, but that would really limit how many people would want to use it.

If you made it support other types of programs, then it would make the app a much bigger project.

For you, my own personal recommendation (FWIW) would be to in the beginning (b/c I have no idea how much this would cost if you're having it done...I talked to Joel Jamieson about his apps and his cost him a bundle to have made, but they're also pretty complicated), focus an app totally around the infamous "Takus Intervals".

You can program all 4 levels into the app, with a feature that allows people to log their data/workouts at each level in some fashion. Then have it somehow integrate socially by either having some sort of platform where users can post their data (have leader-boards, trophies for certain achievements, or what-have-you), and/or Facebook/Twitter integration so that when somebody logs their newest workout, it automatically gets posted or something like that.

Your interval training program is well-known, has a wide-scope of people that would use it, and you could narrow the features down around it such that it would be a very useful app in many ways, but wouldn't be such an undertaking that it would be a monstrosity.

Then you can expand/add later on, or simply just create another app.

Just my $.02.
4/18/13 10:34 PM
SesameTako
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The one thing that apps lack is the ability to really mine the data in a meaningful way. I don't need programs, I don't need demos, I don't need social media.

I would like to track progress made in weight, pulse rate, strength, speed, etc w/ the ability to drill down to the specific workouts and diet plans taking place during that time. Phone Post 3.0
4/19/13 1:34 AM
Taku

Wiggy...That is a great idea.

We need to talk.

TAKU

4/19/13 6:43 PM
Wiggy

Taku - 

Wiggy...That is a great idea.

We need to talk.

TAKU

Hell yeah, brother - let's do it.

You've still got my email, right? Hit me up there. Or Jason has my number - text me and we'll talk. Is this something that's going to be your own deal or a Hybrid project?

(Feel free to answer that last one privately if you like. Got something I'd like to ask you about, too.)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.